My new (first) 1851s

Started by Rube Burrows, May 18, 2008, 01:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Horse Bailey

That's a good price around here, Joey!  Mine was $700 8 years ago!  I'd have jumped on it, like you!

And yes, it is the first lever action gun to officially carry the Winchester name - AND it was called "the Improved Henry" back then!  ;D

I don't shoot my Vaquero in NCOWS competition, but when I shoot SASS (not often, due to scheduling and preference) I'll shoot my little Vaquero - I also shoot it at the indoor range I sometimes visit.  They're great guns.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dr. Bob

NozzleRag,

I have to disagree with you big time.  I shoot a 73 in 45 Colt and with a full case of black or sub, I have almost no blow by and almost no fouling in the action!  My personal experience.  Others mileage may vary! ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Dr. Bob on May 29, 2008, 05:27:14 PM
NozzleRag,

I have to disagree with you big time.  I shoot a 73 in 45 Colt and with a full case of black or sub, I have almost no blow by and almost no fouling in the action!  My personal experience.  Others mileage may vary! ;) ;D

Dr Bob, I think NR was refering to bore fouling rather than blow back into the action ???
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Dr. Bob

Cutts,

He's right that the Holy Black will foul the bore.  But it will do that in any caliber.  Make yer hands real dirty by the end of 5 or 6 stages too! ::) ;) ;D  Going to make lots of smoke and noise next week in Evansville.  Taking lots of ammo!  Gonna be FUN!!!!

I will get to shoot my new DA 44 Frontier from Belgium!  Can't wait!! :o ::) ;D ;D ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Steel Horse Bailey

As you know, bore fouling is plentiful with BP.  Good thing is, 'tho - it wipes right out.  There's NEVER EVER been ANY leading in my guns shooting BP - I can't say that about smokeyless powder.  I can still get a tad bit of leading even at really slooooowwww velocities.

I guess it's the nature of the beast.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com