My new (first) 1851s

Started by Rube Burrows, May 18, 2008, 01:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ransom Gaer

That G&G is interesting.  It sounds like your replica is patterned after the G&G, to me anyway.  I'll be honest I don't know much about them.  And besides some of my relatives that were in the war borrowed their revolvers from Gen US Grant's supply depot in Holly Springs Mississippi.  So they used nothing but Colts or Remingtons.

I think I need to get another Leech and Rigdon.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Arcey

Not a good image to share but it looks like I have no other...

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Rube Burrows

Those are some beautys that you shared.

It is a good thing to mess with the hlep.  ;D

I called first to make sure they had a few in stock because I was going to have to drive over an hour to get there. He told me he knew I was going to be "trouble" when I called. I just know what I like and what I wanted. I had done alot of research on what I wanted.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Rube Burrows

What is the best way to remove the wedge? Does the windage screw need to be removed first? I think that is what its listed as?.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Dalton Masterson

Joey, just a gentle tap with a block of wood or brass hammer will knock it out. Just tap it from the right to the left. The screw doesnt need to come out, it is to set you cylinder gap I believe. Never worried about that on mine. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Mako

Quote from: dalton masterson on May 21, 2008, 10:22:04 PM
Joey, just a gentle tap with a block of wood or brass hammer will knock it out. Just tap it from the right to the left. The screw doesnt need to come out, it is to set you cylinder gap I believe. Never worried about that on mine. DM

Joey and Dalton,
The screw is actually the "Wedge Retention Screw."  The wedge spring lip is supposed to engage this screw to prevent the wedge from completely moviing out of the slot in the barrel.  It helps but it doesn't always work if the wedge gets rotated a bit or if the pin which connects the spring to the wedge is loose or backs out a bit.  On other models such as the modern replicas of the 1871-72 Open Top, the screw literally blocks the wedge and prevented it backing out unless it is rotated to a point where the diameter of the screw head has a flat cut on it.  Some people use the screws on the 1871-72s to control the depth of engagement of the wedge, but that is not the designed purpose of the screw.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Rube Burrows

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Ransom Gaer

Actually on all my percussion Colts I can pop the barrel wedges out with my thumbs.  But they don't come out when seated properly and I am shooting them.  That is the ideal situation.  There is a little hook on the end of the barrel wedge spring.  I have heard the hook is more pronounced on the Ubertis than the Piettas.  The hook on the spring is what keeps the wedge in place when seated.

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Black Powder

Quote from: Ransom Gaer on May 22, 2008, 08:57:10 PM
Actually on all my percussion Colts I can pop the barrel wedges out with my thumbs.  But they don't come out when seated properly and I am shooting them.  That is the ideal situation.  There is a little hook on the end of the barrel wedge spring.  I have heard the hook is more pronounced on the Ubertis than the Piettas.  The hook on the spring is what keeps the wedge in place when seated.

Ransom Gaer

Ransom, I do believe you confirmed what I've suspected the problem is that I have.  My Pietta's wedge barely clears the other side and it's a bear tryting to get out.  Assuming the Uberti's will fit, I may buy a few and fiddle with them if need be so I can pop the barrel wedge out with just my thumb too.  Then a conversion cylinder is a real possibility, and I can enjoy best of both worlds.  Thanks.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Deadguy

BP, try polishing the wedge with a buffer or Dremel.  Just use a felt wheel with polishing compound.  It should work much better after that,  If still stiff, use a polishing stone, but be careful to not take off too much.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Black Powder

Thanks for the tip.  Will give that a whirl.  To be on the safe side, believe I'd better buy some backup wedges...

BP

Rube Burrows

Well I must say. My first outting with the 51s was very memorable. I had the #10 caps and was using pyrodex p. The caps were too small for the nipples and what was happening was the first time the trigger would strike it would seat the cap then the next time around it may or may not cause it to pop. I loaded 19 grains of power at first just to be on the safe side. Well the pyrodex was very hard to light with the #10s, esp since they were not working properly for the nipples. Some of the balls would shoot but most would not. Some would light up but the ball would not push from the barrel. I was pretty aggravated that day to say the least.

The next day I went and got some #11 caps and that pretty much took care of the problem all together. I still plan to switch powders as this stuff is just plain hard to get to ignite.

Once I started shooting I was supprised at how fun they were to shoot. Im hooked. I am planning to purchase some extra cylinders and even one of those loading tools where I can load the extra cylinders. (bass pro shop).  I will be looking into casting my own bullets in the future but for now I will just enjoy shooting what I have.

I was shocked at how little the recoil is with the BP pistols.
So much fun to shoot.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Ransom Gaer

It's good you had fun there.  I love my C&B pistols.  Ignition problems in C&B pistols is a known problem with Pyrodex.  In my limited use of Pyrodex in a C&B pistol I didn't really have trouble, but others have.  Real BP is the way to go.  Of course you realize you can NEVER go back now. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Rube Burrows

Yes.....while I will always still love my other guns I have found a new love in the BP. Its fun. It also gave me a real appreacation for the guys who had to do it that way back in the day.

I ordered me a 66 Golden boy this weekend.  ;)

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Ransom Gaer

Sounds like you really are hooked.  That's great.  The force is strong in this one.

I can understand about what our forefathers had to deal with back in the day.  In one of my earlier posts I mentioned some of my relatives who were in the War Between the States.  They were Confederate Cavalrymen and used C&B revolvers.  I think I am getting some understanding of what they dealt with.

I have a '66 that I use some as my main match rifle.  I tend to use my 1860 Henry.  The '66 really is a great rifle.  I just think the Henry is cooler. ;D

Ransom Gaer
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Rube Burrows

Yes I have always collected guns. I have about 5 Winchester 94s and one 92. I love the lever actions. I have two Vaquero's in Kirkpactric leather. That is about all I have in cowboy action. The rest are long range rifles (Sniper Style Rifles), a few Glocks for everyday carry, some hunting rifles, a Mosin PU blah blah blah....you get the pic. The rifle I just ordered is a Henry 1866. in .45 colt. I was raised around guns so they are my passion. I wish there were more Cowboy action matches around. Since I bought my new house I have less money for guns and things but im slowly getting all of the things I will need to compete in the closest matches around which happens to be the place that hosts our state championship.

I have always been a fan of westerns and war movies. Watching the Cowboys show got me hooked even more...........Yeah......its safe to say im hooked.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Black Powder

Quote from: Joey Guns on May 28, 2008, 03:50:17 PM
Once I started shooting I was supprised at how fun they were to shoot. Im hooked.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D oh me, oh my  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Goex fff.

BP

Steel Horse Bailey

I'm corn-fused.

You said you ordered a "Henry 1866."  Sorry if I'm bein' pickey, but there ain't no ani-mule.  If it's a Henry, it's an 1860.  The 1866 is the Yellow Boy.  Both are made by Uberti and imported by several firms: EMF, Cimmerron, Navy Arms, etc.

Did you order a "Henry Repeating Arms Big Boy" rifle in 45 Colt?  Without sounding like a schmuck, I hope NOT!  USHRAC (or whatever) makes the Henry Big Boy.  Despite their false claims of lineage and similarity, it in no way is a Henry rifle and except for the name and color of the receiver, it is a totally different gun.  It may in fact, be a decent shooting iron, but don't be fooled - it's NOT a gun of the old West. 

To purists, the Vaqueros aren't real guns of the period, but they DO look the part.  (I have and LOVE my old model Vaquero.)  The difference is, the Big Boy merely resembles  an old gun.  From 20 feet, 99.9% of people couldn't tell a Vaquero from a Colt, but can easily tell a Big Boy.

SASS, after outlawing the Big Boy for a while, caved in to financial pressure and OK'ed the gun, so they ARE legal.

Don't get me wrong - the gun may be just fine to shoot and a joy to own.  I've heard nothing but good about the Henry 22 lever action (which is called the "Golden Boy") - I just wouldn't have a Big Boy and then claim I was shooting a gun like they did "back in the day."

Your mileage may vary ...  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Rube Burrows

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on May 28, 2008, 11:31:16 PM
I'm corn-fused.

You said you ordered a "Henry 1866."  Sorry if I'm bein' pickey, but there ain't no ani-mule.  If it's a Henry, it's an 1860.  The 1866 is the Yellow Boy.  Both are made by Uberti and imported by several firms: EMF, Cimmerron, Navy Arms, etc.

Did you order a "Henry Repeating Arms Big Boy" rifle in 45 Colt?  Without sounding like a schmuck, I hope NOT!  USHRAC (or whatever) makes the Henry Big Boy.  Despite their false claims of lineage and similarity, it in no way is a Henry rifle and except for the name and color of the receiver, it is a totally different gun.  It may in fact, be a decent shooting iron, but don't be fooled - it's NOT a gun of the old West. 

To purists, the Vaqueros aren't real guns of the period, but they DO look the part.  (I have and LOVE my old model Vaquero.)  The difference is, the Big Boy merely resembles  an old gun.  From 20 feet, 99.9% of people couldn't tell a Vaquero from a Colt, but can easily tell a Big Boy.

SASS, after outlawing the Big Boy for a while, caved in to financial pressure and OK'ed the gun, so they ARE legal.

Don't get me wrong - the gun may be just fine to shoot and a joy to own.  I've heard nothing but good about the Henry 22 lever action (which is called the "Golden Boy") - I just wouldn't have a Big Boy and then claim I was shooting a gun like they did "back in the day."

Your mileage may vary ...  ;)

Yes, you are correct. I was a little excited when I wrote it.   :-[  I did infact order the Uberti 66 in .45LC. Not the Henry. I have plans to get the 60 later on but will shoot the 66 for a while. 

The rifle I am getting is the one in the middle on this link.
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/1866_yellowboy.php
The 66 was Winchester......correct?

I am paying 600.00 for the gun. My local dealer whom I have been dealing with for years bought this gun and only shot a box through it. I think 600 is a good deal. He has to get it from his home though so next time I go in there he said he should have it for me. So I didnt order it new. The price was right so I jumped on it. He said there is NOTHING wrong with the rifle so whats a fellow to do?  ;)

I know the Vaqueros are not exactly true to the era but I chose them for their saftey factor. That way I would have NO problems with 6 loaded chambers. I know some are real strict about being period correct and for the most part I am also but I thought that was a very nice feature to have so I took advantage of it.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Noz

When using the 1866 in 45 Colt, plan on either "Big Lube" bullets or one of the newer black powder substitutes. The case configuration and wall thickness do not lend themselves to good experiences with black powder and regular bullets. They foul out badly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com