How worn is worn?

Started by Icebox Bob, May 13, 2008, 02:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icebox Bob

I am looking at a top break .44 revolver that is at least 75 years old with the expected "patina" and the price is reasonable.  It is in the hands of a reputable dealer/gunsmith who assures me that with a little work it will be a safe shooter.  However the barrel is described as worn with some pitting.

My question is - with black powder loads, soft lead and CAS distances how worn can the rifling be before it is a lost cause?

Thanks,

Icebox
Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

Fox Creek Kid

Pitting = leading. No two ways around it. If I were looking for a shooter I'd pass. Just my 2 cents (from a man who has cleaned bad leading before).

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on May 13, 2008, 03:30:24 PM
Pitting = leading. No two ways around it. If I were looking for a shooter I'd pass. Just my 2 cents (from a man who has cleaned bad leading before).

Ditto!
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

St. George

Out of curiosity - what is it?

At 75 years old - a Webley comes to mind.

Shooting it in C&WAS means a 'lot' of cleaning - but shooting a jacketed round for fun means just that if the price is right.

And - if the price 'is' right - the barrel can be lined.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Icebox Bob

Quote from: St. George on May 13, 2008, 04:00:48 PM
Out of curiosity - what is it?

At 75 years old - a Webley comes to mind.

Shooting it in C&WAS means a 'lot' of cleaning - but shooting a jacketed round for fun means just that if the price is right.

And - if the price 'is' right - the barrel can be lined.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

DA 44-40 S&W 1st model copy made in Belgium.  Looks like the one half-way down the page - http://www.neaca.com/Smith%20&%20Wesson%20Firearms%20page%20.html

I was speculating that using soft lead might actually work with less than ideal rifling.  The pitting is described as minor. 

Thanks for the thoughts.
Icebox

Well.... see, if you take your time, you get a more harmonious outcome.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com