3rd model dragoon shoulder stock question.

Started by colddragoon, May 12, 2008, 11:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colddragoon

Has anyone see one of these lately? I am getting a 3rd model and whould like to find one. Thanks

Deadeye Don

I have been looking for one also.  I really do not think anybody is making them for the Dragoons.   Dixie gun works has them for the 1860 army.

Unless you want to buy this one.   ;D

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=22049
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Long Johns Wolf

The now defunct Army san Marco supplied their 3rd Model Dragoon with shoulder stocks. The ones I have seen sported blued steel yoke and buttplate. Used ones might float around somewhere, good luck.
For pics check www.rprca.tripod.com, look under Models-Colt 1838-55
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

colddragoon

Would the shoulder stock for the 1860 work with some fitting? I'll have to keep an eye skinned.

Deadeye Don

Quote from: colddragoon on May 13, 2008, 08:34:57 AM
Would the shoulder stock for the 1860 work with some fitting? I'll have to keep an eye skinned.

I dont think so.  The width of the dragoon is greater than the army for one thing.

Fingers McGee

The shoulder stock for the 1851/1860 will not fit on a dragoon.  The dragoon grips are about 0.10 inch wider than the 51/60 grips are at the top, and flare out more.  You'd probably heve to take too much off the inside of the '60 stock for it to hold up.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Dr. Bob

Deadeye Dave,

Cool! ;D  If he had a consecutive pair I'd just fire a check off righ away!! ::) :o ;D ;D  [Yea, it would bounce to the moon. :-[ ;) ;D ]
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Deadeye Don

Just for the heck of it, I tried my 1860 shoulder stock with my Dragoon.   Nope, no way no how.  Too bad nobody is making them.  I think  a shoulder stock with a dragoon makes alot more sense pound for pound than one for an 1860 does.

Capt. Willard

Cold Dragon..I have an 1860 Army stock with brass fittings that has been modified for use with a third model dragoon. I picked it up as part of a pistol purchase but have a proper dragoon stock now and would be willing to sell you mine if interested. It fits and functions fine. Previous owner opened it up inside with a lot of hard work. zunker@swbell.net

colddragoon

Deadeye Don

Quote from: colddragoon on May 14, 2008, 07:58:00 PM
Does anyone shoot one of these? :)

You mean shoot a Dragoon or a Dragoon with a shoulder stock?

St. George

The 'idea' of a shoulder stock for a revolver seems like a good one - especially from the viewpoint of Dragoons and Cavalrymen - since it would effectively create a carbine, and could eliminate the need for an actual carbine.

Like a lot of things - it looked good at first blush - but the actuality of using it was probably what led to its demise.

Remember - the Trooper of the era didn't have safety glasses or ear plugs - and as any blackpowder revolver shooter knows - these things leak gases at the forcing cone at an impressive rate, and the percussion caps do split and fragment.

That's an awful lot of high drama happening a couple of inches from your nose...

Besides - when they decided that hitting a target made quite a bit more sense than the convenience of a stocked revolver, the inherent accuracy of a good carbine won, hands down.

That being said, they're an interesting accessory - my 2d Generation Colt Model 1860 Army came with one, and when assembled, it's an impressive centerpiece of the early Horse Soldier display.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Long Johns Wolf

As St. George says it looks cool but it does not work well in real life.
FWIW I used to own one these ASM 3rd Model Dragoons with stock some 30 years ago...the rear sight was to close for my then young eyes for proper sight adjustment. Thanks God the caps did not fragment but I burnt my left hand nicely.
Did the same exercise some years later with a Broomhandle with the stock attached...it is just not comfortable to shoot such a beast.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Deadeye Don

I use my shoulder stock with my 1860 army (not for NCOWS) and my RandD cylinder.  It works great and basically turns it into a carbine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com