Author Topic: Calling Longjohns Wolf  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Calling Longjohns Wolf
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Wolf,  I need your expertise on European manufacturers again. Who was/is Armi Jaeger and how do their gripframes compare to Uberti, Pietta or Armi Sao Paulo?

Gripmaker

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
Re: Calling Longjohns Wolf
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:52:00 AM »
Gripmaker, that's a tough one. Army Jaeger made replicas of SAA's during the 1960s and possibly also during the early 1970. They where taken over by Uberti. Most of the SAA's you see in Spaghetti Westerns of the 1960 with brass grip are from Armi Jaeger. They also made a Buntline with skeleton shoulder stock. Even today they are famous for their excellent steel but that is another story.
Regular grips are brass but steel grips could be had, too. Their steel grips were available in Navy and Army size. E. g . their SAA in .44 mag had an Army size grip.
The shape of their Navy size grips was kind of flared, like the Pietta 1851 Navy grip, see below pic, and appears to be almost the size of a Dragoon grip. The pistol on the pic was an 18" barrel Buntline before & got a steel grip and drift adjustable rear sight.
Sorry, cannot provide more specific data since I have no more Armi Jaeger in my safe to measure it.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 10:31:46 PM »
Thanks for the available information, Wolf. Hopefully this one was made after Uberti took over. If not, maybe the Armi Sao Paulo grips will fit. This will make 9 different sizes for the 1860 Army gripframe. Please don't tell me that you have another one. :>)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:29:33 PM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »
Howdy Gents

I just caught this thread, and thought I would jump in , I used to shoot in quick draw years ago,( back in the 60's ) and I used nothing but Colts back then , I had a couple of second generation pony's, that I loved , but I couldn't keep running, at that time they didn't make LOC-TITE . then a good friend of mine turned me on to the Intercontinental Dakota, by Jaeger, this gun was built rock solid , the timming was right on and with a lighter hammer spring, it was a dream to shoot, the steel was so strong in these guns , that they proof tested them 9 times , and the barrel didn't give way, thats 9 rounds in a plugged barrel, this is special even in todays standards. Here's a picture of my 1966 Jaeger Intercontinental Dakota 4 5/8" barrel one piece walnut grips that I made my ownself, and in 45 long Colt, it's just as good today as it was back then. ::) :o ??? ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com