stuck nipples

Started by Buffalow Red, May 12, 2008, 08:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalow Red

well i got 2 nipples stuck in one cly & all the nipples stuck in my newest cly have runied 4 different nipple tools
any one ever heat clys with torch to get nipples out
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Dalton Masterson

Me thinks you should be wearing a shirt, and standing a little farther back.

But seriously, I had one cylinder rust the nipples (cones) in. I ended up getting several nipple wrenches and had to grind on one that finally worked. Used a lot of penetrating oil and a little heat from a small torch. You dont want to get it too hot me thinks. The wrench I ended up getting to work was the one with the brass balls on the handle ends from cabelas. Good luck. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Fingers McGee

I hate when that happens - hurts like a dickens too -

Soak em in Kroil.  It'll loosen anything up. then when you put em back in, make sure you use an anti sieze compound - or Balistol - to lube the threads to keep it from happening again.  I always remove & clean the nipples after a match & lube em with Balistol before putting em back.  Havent had a stuck nipple in more years than I can remember.

Fingers (who keeps a can of Kroil handy JIC) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Howdy Doody

I agree with Fingers McGee, soak them for a day or two in Kroil oil and give them another try. Then if you have some luck, clean em up and when re installing put some never seize on them before installing into the cylinders. Never seize really works well where heat and corrosion is involved.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Sgt. Jake

Bought a new C&B a few years back,nipples/cones were froze.Soaked submerged in Kroil for two days,had to make a overnight trip,pleanty of soak time.They still wouldnt budge. So on to the toarch trick,they came out. I found out the reason they were stuck,they came with factory installed RUST. Two of the cones were so badly rusted some places the threads were not there. Holes in the cyl. cleaned up easly,after the two day soak.Replaced cones with Treso s and lubriplate,never had any other problems with that cyl.          Good Luck      Sgt. Jake

Buffalow Red

Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Steel Horse Bailey

After about 5 years of ownership, I had a nipple get stuck on my Remington.  I DO use thread oil, and I DON'T tighten hard - just firm.  With very little force, the stoopid thing BROKE in half.  After inspection, I found that the nipple - FROM PIETTA - was cracked from the gitgo.  (The broken pieces had rust inside the where it had cracked.  I DON'T ALLOW rust to form - I SOAK my guns, so no rust can form!  So it had to come from the factory.)  And that was using Hoppes # 9 Plus BP solvent, which - unlike Ballistol/moosemilk, doesn't use water - which COULD seep into a crack and cause rust. 

In case you think I'm a bit anal,  ::) I dip/submerge my guns in Hoppes # 9 Plus and then clean them.  THEN I again submerge them in BreakFree and let it soak for 1 to 4-5 days before wiping them down and putting them away.  prior to firing I again wipe off any remaining oil and use some BP friendly lube on the important parts.  Lately I've been doing the same process, only using Ballistol moosemilk for cleaning, then an oil bath.  If I had one of those nifty spray table/tanks from Harbor Freight I'd use that.  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Buffalow Red

well i got the nipple wrenches from thunder ridge soaked the cly for 2 mo thats how long it took to get my order and the wrenches folded up like tin foil no turing of the nipples & now i got 2 junk wrenchs
any one know were to get good wrenchs
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Gun Butcher

Hey Buff, you ain't havin' a very good day. Try Dixie Gun Work, they sell good stuff and always stand behind it. Been doing business eith them for 20 years and never a bad deal. They can also help sometimes with suggestion for sticky problems. Give them a call  1-800-238-6785 and see what they can do.
GB.
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

sundance44`s

Does anyone know where to buy a good nipple wrench ??? I wish I knew can`t tell ya how many I`ve gone through ....If only I could find one made in the USA out of hardened steel ..I`ve have something .
I bought a used Pistol once that I ruined 2 wrenches on the nipples trying to get then out ...soaked the cylinder in break free for a week ...still couldn`t get them to move ...So one day I took her out back and loaded her up and fired about 3 cylinders worth untill it got warmed up real good ...then tried the nipple wrench again ...They all broke free this time from just the fireing .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Steel Horse Bailey

I heard one fellow who said he made a nipple wrench from a 1/4" drive Craftsman deep-well socket!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Noz

I did that with a China socket and it broke immediately. YOUR mileage may vary widely.

Paladin UK

Fer Noz..

QuoteI did that with a China socket and it broke immediately.

Like their screwdrivers.. Come with a built in bendy point  >:(

Paladin (What steers clear of cheapo Commie stuff!!  >:( ) UK

I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

sundance44`s

Where do ya buy stuff made in the USA anymore ?  ???
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Russ T Chambers

(Sarcasm on) Probably only in China! (Sarcasm off )
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Buffalow Red

hay id take one made in england or canada just want a strong one
im consedering the crafstsman socket idea
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Fingers McGee

Taylors has a hardened nipple wrench listed in their accessories section now.  Did the ones you got from TR break/split, or just round off?  I had a nipple in a brand new 49 pocket that didnt want to come out.  I put the wrench on the nipple then put the cylinder/wrench assembly  between the jaws of a vise.  The vise held the wrench on the nipple and kept it from stripping off.  Held on to the cylinder and tapped the wrench handle with a lyman gunsmith hammer a couple times, and the nipple came loose.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Pettifogger

Got tired of the nipple wrenches breaking, even the ones advertised as being premium wrenches.  Finally just made one from a 3/8" grade 8 bolt.  Turning the end down a little, drilling a hole in the end and slotting the end would only take a couple of minutes in a machine shop.  If you know anyone maybe you can have one made.

Buffalow Red

the wrenches sholders sheared off, or broke off while turning aganist nipple
Thomas Jefferson
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com