Help with ID on a Open top

Started by HorsePen Henry, May 10, 2008, 10:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HorsePen Henry

Howdy boys,

I don't know anything about cartridge shooting Opentops except that I want one!  ;D  I have a run on a Opentop Colt that has a shiny white finish that the fella says is nickel plate. It has a octagon barrel like a '51 model colt and it has ivory colored grips with a long horn steer carved in just one of the grips on the right side. It is marked Cimmaron markings on the top of the barrel. I can't find this pistol on the Cimmaron web site and I am wondering if this revolver in 38 Special is a custom revolver by Cimmaron. Any ideas of what exactly I am looking at and the value?
The feller wants 450 bucks fer it. Should I git it?  :-\

Many thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Abilene

Howdy Horse Pen,
Sounds like it is either a '51 Richards-Mason conversion (what Cimarron currently carries, made by Uberti), or a '51 Richards conversion (what Cimarron carried about 8-10 years ago, made by Armi-San-Masrco).  If it is the Uberti and is nickled with good-fitting grips, that is a good price.  If it is the ASM, that may be an okay price if it is a good gun but lots of the ASM guns had big quality problems and there are no parts available.  Easiest way to tell: the Uberti Richards-Mason has the notch in the hammer nose for the rear sight and a hammer-mounted firing pin, the ASM has the rear sight on top of the conversion ring (right behind the cylinder) and has a floating firing pin mounted in the conversion ring.

litl rooster

VTI does have some ASM parts
Mathew 5.9

HorsePen Henry

I took another peek at it yesterday and it is a Uberti from Cimmaron. I don't see anything like it on the Cimmaron site though. I am wondering if this is a custom revolver from them.  ???
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

St. George

It's not at all uncommon for a manufacturer to make a run of product that doesn't find it's way onto their web site.

No site is all-encompassing.

It's more likely that this nickelled piece is part of a short-lived run - but not a 'custom' piece being specifically built for an individual - and the additional price was found to be too high for the average shooter.

I have a couple of their older catalogs that featured nickelled revolvers - this one could be a few years old.

Send them an email if you're that curious, but the price seems fair enough - so long as fit and finish are commensurate.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com