Just got a shipment of Big Lube™ molds. PRS & J/Ps

Started by Dick Dastardly, May 06, 2008, 04:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

Yeeeehaa, back orders are gettin' filled pronto.  I've got enuf for a short while and then I'll have to order more.  LEE just shipped both PRS 45-250 RNFP and J/P 45-200 molds.  They took less time than they had been taking and I'm happy about it.  I paid for these back in January.  So, it now looks like the lag time is around Five months.

I'm still waitin' on Snakebites and, from a different supplier, DD 45-70 Mk-IIIs.

Looks like I'll be burnin' the midnight oil filling back orders for a while.

Thanks for waiting pards.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Haggis MacGurk

Dick Dastardly

I'm still waitin' on Mavs and Snakebites.  They shouldn't be more than a month out if these delivery schedules keep up.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Haggis MacGurk

Thanks Dick,
                    I sent ya an electric order last night.

Haggis

Dick Dastardly

I shipped yer order, minus the Mav mold.  I'll send the Mav mold yer way soon as it gets to me.  I'll pay to postage.

Would that I could get my hands on the molds I pay for sooner.  I'm workin' on it, but it's like pullin' teeth without whiskey.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Haggis MacGurk

Thank you very much, Sir.  Going to my first shoot of the year tomorrow, and I have to shoot the heathen powder for logistical reasons, but the next one will be smokey and loud, thanks to your prompt service. ;D

Noz

Got my Lee 200 gr mold in and it's dropping with soft lead at .434. At that diameter they squash rather than size. I've added enough Lino to the mix so that I can still see the lube ring. But I don't like hard bullets.
You have an order for the Mav from me as well.

Dick Dastardly

When casting with the big LEE Six cavity molds, be very careful to make sure the sprue cutter is all the way closed before pouring lead, then DON'T hold the sprue cutter handle.  Hold ONLY the two main handles.  If you squeeze the sprue cutter handle you will force the mold slightly open and it will cast oversize bullets.

Also, make sure there's no stray casting metal or other stuff getting between the mold blocks or in the alignment pin holes.  It doesn't take  much to hold the blocks open a couple of thousandths.

If your mold runs out of spec for some reason and you can't solve the problem, do this.  At your next casting session get the mold running as good as you can.  Then, leave the last pour in place and don't cut the sprue.  Let the mold cool and send it back to LEE with the last pour in and ask them to fix it.  They will cut the sprue, drop the bullets and mike them.  If the problem is theirs, they will make it good.  If it's not, they will help you to get the results you are expecting.

Let me know if this helps.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

springfield

Nozzle: did you mean .454? I assume you were talking about your new J/P 200 45  mould. My personal mould in that size actually drops the bullets at .458. They size down fine, but I use a Star, no squashing.

Arcey

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on May 06, 2008, 04:00:15 PM
I'm still waitin' on Snakebites and, from a different supplier, DD 45-70 Mk-IIIs.

Hey, Dick.

If ya don't mimd me askin'. What material are the Snakebites from the different manufacturer made of?
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Noz

Quote from: springfield on May 10, 2008, 01:51:33 PM
Nozzle: did you mean .454? I assume you were talking about your new J/P 200 45  mould. My personal mould in that size actually drops the bullets at .458. They size down fine, but I use a Star, no squashing.

Nope .434. Should be .429-.430 for the 44s and 44-40s.

I've ordered a Mav Dutchman mold but until it gets here, how about a website or contact info for someone casting these for sale?

Dick Dastardly

http://www.biglube.com/Links.aspx

Click that link and click on Mark Whyte's Leather Works.  He has Mavs in either .429 or .427.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Buffalow Red

sent you an e order for mav & lube you just as well wait & send them to gether as i wont need the lube till i get mold thanks
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Dick Dastardly

Thanks Red,

I'll ship 'em together.  Saves horses.  I'm waitin' on a batch of both Snakebites and Mavs.

Just got a batch of the big Mk-IIIs in.  Shipped some yesterday, more go out today.

I'll try to keep things current on my web site.

Thanks,

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

springfield

Nozzle: I personally like my 44 moulds to drop at .431. Some of my customers actually ask for .430 so if my mould only drops at .429 they are out of luck. With the Big Lubes and soft lead you can size 5 thou with no problems and still have plenty of lube groove left. I wish LEE had cut the DD-PRS 45-70 mould larger. Mine drops at .4585 and I could use some.461 bullets for some older guns. It's always easier to size down then size up... oh wait, you can't size up. Oh well.

Noz

I think I may be having Lubersizer problems. Bullets are now smearing on one side. I've tried 3 different sizing dies with the same result.

Hell-Er High Water

NozzleRag,

What kind of lubsizer are you using?  Are you using a flat top punch or is the the top punch fitted to the bullet nose?

A flat top puch may just try to compress the bullet before it gets completly into the sizing die and it may also let the bullet tip a little before entering the die.  A fitted top punch will help eleminate these problems.

You might give this a try if you are not already using the fitted top punch.

HHW

Noz

I'm using an RCBS Lube II. The top punch is not fitted to the bullet. In fact I think it has the nose profile of the 310 gr Gas Check Lee 430 bullet.
The bullets are not smeared thru a Lee push thru sizer.
The good news is the new 66 likes the .4295 bullets.

Noz

What kind of a nose punch will fit the MAV Dutchman?

Hell-Er High Water

NozzleRag,

What I used was a Lyman #251 top punch.

Degrease the bullet nose cavity of the top punch with denatured alcohol or something similar.  Put a small amount of 5 minute epoxy in the cavity.  Press the greased (release agent) bullet nose into the epoxy and leave it in place until the epoxy sets.  When the bullet is removed you then have a top punch that conforms exactly to the bullet nose.

Midway shows the #251 top punch to be in stock and other suppliers may have it also.

I have used this method for many top punches for odd ball bullet shapes or for bullets for which no suitable top punch is available.

Give it a try, it really works.

HHW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com