Just got a shipment of Big Lube™ molds. PRS & J/Ps

Started by Dick Dastardly, May 06, 2008, 04:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w44wcf

NozzleRag,

I have a RCBS lubrisizer which is slightly out of alignment. I use a flat faced top punch and it works very well.

Have fun!
w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Noz

Quote from: Hell-Er High Water on May 18, 2008, 10:53:56 AM
NozzleRag,

What I used was a Lyman #251 top punch.

Degrease the bullet nose cavity of the top punch with denatured alcohol or something similar.  Put a small amount of 5 minute epoxy in the cavity.  Press the greased (release agent) bullet nose into the epoxy and leave it in place until the epoxy sets.  When the bullet is removed you then have a top punch that conforms exactly to the bullet nose.

Midway shows the #251 top punch to be in stock and other suppliers may have it also.

I have used this method for many top punches for odd ball bullet shapes or for bullets for which no suitable top punch is available.

Give it a try, it really works.

HHW
Great idea! I love doing things like that. Thanks for the idea.

w44wcf

NozzleRag,

HHW has a great idea. I have used that method in the past on the a few different bullet nose profiles and it works well.

To make sure that you will be sizing the bullet equally, you must first get a bullet centered in the H&I lube / sizing die.
From the sounds of it, running a bullet through the Lee push through die first before putting it into the H&I die should do the job.(or running it nose first into the H&I die) after lubing it with your fingers.

Then do the epoxy thing.  IMPORTANT! Before removing the top punch, use a permanent marker to draw a line down the face of the top punch in line with the locking set screw.   That way, the next time you use the top punch, it will be in alignment with the H&I die.  Otherwise, it may not be if your lubrisizer is out of line like mine is.

Good luck,
w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com