10 gauge shooters - a couple of questions

Started by JL McGillicuddy, May 05, 2008, 07:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JL McGillicuddy

I am getting set up to load for my 10 gauge double for BP.  It is a modern gun, so no worries about durability or any of that and 3.5" chambers to boot. 

Here are my questions -

What press, if any, are you using?

The best price I can find for hulls is $43/100 for primed Federals, is this about right?

Are you star crimping or roll crimping and why?

Is anybody out there using 3.5 inch hulls full length?  If so, what load are you putting in them?

I am REALLY looking forward to getting this beauty back from the shop and taking it to the range.  She started life as an anti-goose cannon and was wearing 32" full and full barrels.  She is in the shop losing a foot of those barrels and getting smoothed up a bit. 

Thanks for the assist!
Jack Lee

Dick Dastardly

Ok, there go yer chokes.  So, have the smith ream and thread the barrels for choke tubes.  That way you can actually have all of them from cylinder to extra full at your own choosing.

I load for my 10ga SxS.  It also is a modern gun and still is a goose gun in full and full.  It'll stay that way cuz I've got other hall sweepers already.

I use Federal 3.5" hulls and get several loads out of 'em.  I roll crimp cuz I like the looks.  After all, if yer shootn' 10ga, looks/style points count.

My charge is equal volumes of FFg Holy Black and 2.5oz of fine shot separated by Circle Fly over powder and 1/2" fiber wads.  I lube my own wads in PL-II.  You will do as well with Soy wax and shortnin'.

I load all my shot shells on MEC 600Jr. Mk-V loaders.  One each, .410, 20ga, 16ga, 12ga and 10ga.  I like variety.

Enjoy the big BOOMS.  Your smoke and flames will awe all and pi$$ off the RO. . .  ;D

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Noz

I want to be around when you touch off both barrels at the same time on a difficult knockdown.

Whooooooeeeee!

Pony Racer

The pards I know who shoot 10 guage shotguns have never met a difficult knock-down ;D

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwwwwww

This ain't no library!! ;D

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Dick Dastardly

There's one annual shoot where some jerk enjoys makin' things harder than the sport was intended to be.  I don't think he's a Cowboy, but that's another discussion.

That's the shoot I really like to take my big 10ga to.  About 130 grains of FFg pushin' 2.5 oz of shot along at 1200 fps simply flattens those troublesome KDs.  Some never rise again.  I've been known to break targets that are put up for some jerk to giggle about.

When you pick up a 10ga, it's about power.  Yer not goin' to go win no belt buckle with a cannon.  So, go for the style points, enjoy the grins and confound the stage writers that thrill themselves by setting out of calibration KDs.  The mighty 10 will do that for you.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

JL McGillicuddy

I just found me 50 pounds of shot, so I am getting in the right direction toward making me some monster shells for my monster gun. 

Now I just gotta get around to getting those pesky shot shell presses.  Dang!  I am running out of room on my little loading desk.  Gonna have to go out and find anudder one.   ;D

Ya know, the sick thing for me is that I think I can learn to run that cannon purty quick.  Gonna take some practicin' I think, but I reckon I kin do it. 

I gotta admit I just love the sound of coughing spotters! 

Thanks!!
Jack Lee

Dick Dastardly

When the smoke clears and the KDs are flat, ya kin walk away with that knowing grin. ;D

The mighty 10 does speak with authority.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Wills Point Pete

Jack Lee, bolt your shotshell press to a piece of 2x8 or 2x10 plank and C-clamp it to your bench or desk. All my presses are C-clamped, they sit on shelves, out of the way when not needed. That way I have clear space for casting or cleaning gunz.

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

I envy all y'all 10 gaugers.

My good pard, Silver Creek Slim, took his 10 ga. double to Virginia where we shot their "Thunder in the Brush II" (I think it was #2).  They dedicated it that year to the late AnnieLee.  Slim came upon one of the last shotgun targets which was one of those "Star" dealies.  He let "the Dragon" ROAR!  When the smoke from the 2nd barrel had cleared, he had taken down 4 of the 5 stars.  WITH ONE SHOT!!!   It was WAY cool.  (His 1st shot was on the 1st target; the 2nd was ... history!)  ;D

I believe you can go to the video section here on CAS City, and see the video.  (It's under the heading "NCOWS" and listed as "Mighty 10 vs. Texas Star")  http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid716337934/bclid823382883/bctid823367594
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Marshal harpoluke

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on May 09, 2008, 10:01:07 AM
Howdy!

I envy all y'all 10 gaugers.

My good pard, Silver Creek Slim, took his 10 ga. double to Virginia where we shot their "Thunder in the Brush II" (I think it was #2).  They dedicated it that year to the late AnnieLee.  Slim came upon one of the last shotgun targets which was one of those "Star" dealies.  He let "the Dragon" ROAR!  When the smoke from the 2nd barrel had cleared, he had taken down 4 of the 5 stars.  WITH ONE SHOT!!!   It was WAY cool.  (His 1st shot was on the 1st target; the 2nd was ... history!)  ;D

I believe you can go to the video section here on CAS City, and see the video.  (It's under the heading "NCOWS" and listed as "Mighty 10 vs. Texas Star")  http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid716337934/bclid823382883/bctid823367594

10ga Envy? ;D

Brimstone fumes, Blast, Fire N, Smoke; Minor EarthQuakes, N,terrified RO's.

Ah has N uses two Mighty 10's,  a 1901,Winchester Riot Gun, and a early Anton Lemar Hammer double.

heh, Heh, HEH!

They 'r good for keeping Kantancerious Cousie's, n Spitting Rooster's,

OFF DA LAWN!

;D
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Steel Horse Bailey

Marshal Harpoluke wrote:

"They 'r good for keeping Kantancerious Cousie's, n Spitting Rooster's,

OFF DA LAWN!"

Doncha know ... it's BAD business to p .. $$ off the cosies - kantankerous or not.   They keep yer belly full.

;)  ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dr. Bob

SHB,

Look like you keep yur cousie real happy!! ;) ;D :o ;D ;)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Marshal harpoluke

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on May 12, 2008, 10:12:37 AM
Marshal Harpoluke wrote:

"They 'r good for keeping Kantancerious Cousie's, n Spitting Rooster's,

OFF DA LAWN!"

Doncha know ... it's BAD business to p .. $$ off the cosies - kantankerous or not.   They keep yer belly full.

;)  ;D
;D

Dey insulted Mah Sheep, Ah only has one Sheep, But He's apart of Da heard,

:P

Cousie Was a Good friend, n Pard (aka Ted Wolff).

Dem others Ah don't know, but Dat Dillious one tryed to 'Bushwack' mah Sheep. >:(

Besides Ah kin Cook. ;D

Marshall Who loves His 10ga.s ;D :D ;D

8)
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Dr. Bob

Well Marshal, they say that nothing should come between a man and his sheep! :o :o ::) ::) ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com