What weight of leather if you are going to line

Started by Ace Lungger, May 04, 2008, 07:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace Lungger

I have been using what i have, which I have been using 9-11oz for the holster and 1.5oz for liner.
Will 6oz and 4oz be a okay combo? ehat is the normal total thickness perfered for a goo holster?

I would be great full for any and all advice!
The reason i am this is I play with scraps for me, but i have a rig to make for a friend, and I will be buying the leather.
thanks ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Trailrider

Howdy, Pard,

For my hunting holsters, used for heavy handguns, I use combinations that add up to 10-11 oz.  Over the years, I have found that produces a high-quality holster, and my customers have packed their guns from Alaska to Africa, and I've never had a complaint!

For most Western rigs, I'll go a bit lighter, with 8-9 oz bodies.  In the case of lined Mexican loop style holsters, I'll usually use 7-8 oz for the outstide of the body and the skirt, and partially line with 2-3 oz., which produces 9-11 oz total in the body, depending on the actual thickness of the leather within the nominal range.  For slim jim rigs, which are completely lined, I'll use 6-7 oz for the outer layer and 2-3 for the lining.  I use topgrain cowhide only for both the outer layer and the lining.

Hope this is of some help.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Ace Lungger

Trail rider,
You told me exactly want I wanted to here, In my mind I had it set on ending up with a total of 9-11oz. I understand about you using only top grain cow hide. I know that a lot of the stuff on ebay is junk! I have one guy that i think sell good stuff, i have visited with him a few times about some of his autions, and he turn me away from them telling me that they would nit be suitable for the job! I did here awhile back buy some leather for a holster i am going to build as a show holster, when I get a lot better at it. I went to bid on one of this guy's auction's because I liked the looks of the hide, I emailed him and told him that I was going to buy it and explained what i was doing, and he told me not to, that if I wanted that size and color, that he had two belling that were nicer quiality and would meet my needs better, and he sold them to me for less than the other piece i was going to buy!

Thank you so much for the help!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com