sights ?

Started by Judge Roy Bean, May 04, 2008, 05:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Roy Bean

I need your expert help. I have just shot my brand new Armi Sports 92 short rifle for the first time.The trouble is that if you aim dead on all the shots go high left at 11o'clock,at the top left hand corner. I was only able to shoot at 25 yards so I took out the
sight lifter as it was on it's lowest notch & aimed at the right hand corner at 5 o'clock & shot a 5 shot group all tuching in the bull's eye !!! Great but how do I adjust the sights to aim dead on.BTW this is a44-40 loaded with a 200 grn bullet backed by 5 grns H38
Thanks for you help. J R B .
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

boot strap jack

I can only think of replacing the front sight with a taller one. I don,t know if the stock one has a brass bead or not. I replace my front sights to brass bead type. Get a sight from base of dove tail to top of sight  about 1/16" taller, adjust windage with front sight, by moving to right ever so slightly. You may be able to silver a little extra hieght to front sight if you have equipment.

Paladin UK

Ho Judge...
I had exactly the same problem with my Rossi #92 .Virtually ALL our CAS shooting is 25 mtrs or less!!

Did what you did changed loads boolets etc.even removed the sight lifter! made Noo difference!! Still shot high!! ::)

The only way out is ta get yerself a Taller /higher front sight. Now shoots bang on POA!! :D
Hope this helps

Paladin (What lurvs his #92 ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Judge Roy Bean

Thanks pards for your advice, it looks like a new higher front sight or I have read you can put thin shims under the dovetail.
At the moment I'm trying to loosen the tiny screws that hold both sights tite. P U K  were did you get you taller front sight from.
Texas & Miss Lilly.

Judge Roy Bean

Would putting less powder say 4 grns instead 5grns of H P 38  in my loads lower the impact because of the short range.
Texas & Miss Lilly.

Paladin UK

Ho Judge.......

The front sight I made myownself, from an old bolt!! If you look at a small bolt it is virtually the right shape to start with!! took about 3 hrs of filing.

With regard to yer POA  (IMOPO) I dont think that you will get the boolit to drop enuf!! And I`m sure I read somewhere I hope pards will correct me iffn I`m wrong .... but, that sometimes using less powder can shift the POA HIGHER!!  :o

Paladin (What hopes ya get yer smokepole sorted  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Judge

Try holding the tip of your front site in the gutter of your rear site, this will usually make a big difference in POI , this will make a big difference when shooting at the really short distances we shoot at, it's the same when useing an open site when hunting, you need to know what your gun will do with these sites, you can use the front site in an up and down position in your rear site, wheather the slide under your rear site is in the highest or the lowest, or in between setting, you need to get out there and shoot up a couple boxes of shells ( what your going to shoot all the time, of LOAD ) and then you will know where the bullit is going to hit at any range.  ::)   I hope this helped  ??? :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Judge Roy Bean

Hi pards sorry that I did not get back to you sooner, as I have only had time this weekend to try some your suggestions.
The gun still shot high but I moved the back sight to the right & it printed more central . Dose anyone know were to get a higher front sight like the one that comes with the gun. Your help is much appreciated.
Texas & Miss Lilly.

Whiskey Hayes

Judge

Not sure what kinda sight comes standard on the Armi Sport but a Marble's 45W sight is high enough for all the '73's and '92's I've put them on to put the rear sight in the middle of the elevator to be dead on at 25 yards.  The 45 number is .45" tall measured from very bottom to top of sight.  Set it on a flat service measure from flat service to top of sight is what I mean.  Brownell's and Midway both carry the Marble's sights.  Sights come white or gold in color and in 2 diameters, 1/16" and 3/32" if I remember correctly.

WH

Judge Roy Bean

Thanks W H, I have put an order into Midways for a gold bead front sight. So when it arrives I will be able to see the in provement. Also ordered a buckhorn rear sight to match aswell , may as wellgo the hole hog!
Texas & Miss Lilly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com