Uberti Richards-Mason firing pins

Started by Riot Earp, May 03, 2008, 10:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riot Earp

Forgive me if this has been discussed recently.

Should I replace the firing pin in my new Uberti Richards-Mason with a harder one? I know that the Open Tops used to have soft firing pins but don't know about the R-Ms.

Abilene

Howdy,
the FP in the R-M is very different from the OT.  Generally no problems with them bending.  They occasionally pierce primers and need to have the point dulled a bit.  Enjoy your conversion  :)

Coffinmaker

Ditto Abilene.  I have yet to need to replace the Firing Pin on a R-M Conversion.  None issue.  Cleaned up a bit to stop piercing primers .... yes.  Replace?? NO.

Coffinmaker

h c ramrod

I am a very disapointed cowpolk
I just purchased 2 richard mason conversion's and when tried them out i had fired no more than 12 rounds in one of them the cylinder bolt broke. When i tried the second one the hammer was draging on the side of the grip frame so bad it cause miss fire's
i fixed that , but as i was firing them the pin was pokin thru the primers. and before i had 24 rounds fired in the second one the firing pin broke. Teas were bought directly from stoeger , who is direct uberti .
what is hapning with the quality of the uberti's i have been hearing other bad reportd on some of there other guns such as the 73 rifle's bein real rough.  I hav many uberti firearms always liked them but gettin tierd of putting lots of my own work time in them ....... i sent them back to stoeger for credit and told them i dont want more like that........
very disapinted in uberti lately ......... h.c. ramrod
keep yur powder dry.

h c ramrod

Sure would be nice if yah could by a uberti and have it be 100% good for a change........
THE DREAMER
keep yur powder dry.

Charlie Bowdre

Bad luck all the way . Sorry to hear of the problems.
I have  a pair of RM's , probably about 1000 rounds banged off in each . No problems at all .

Did buy a new car one time and had about 100 miles on it when the  rear axle snapped.

Things do go wrong, when they shouldn't . You pay good money and should expect good product in return
Not making light of the problems at all nd hope your dealer can offer some help to make things right.
Dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Fox Creek Kid

Simple, Uberti builds approx. 40,000 guns a year and employs approx. 30 people. Granted, I've had some bad luck lately with Uberti BUT I was not expecting a tricked out & tuned 1911 that shoots 1" groups at 50 yds. for $500. I hate to defend shoddy workmanship but I know that Uberti is the ONLY game in town making these conversions as well as Open Tops. Finally, as an example Uberti sells their '75 Remington for approx. $500 and USFA is making one now that has a MSRP of over $1800.00!! I just grin & bear it with the simple fixes and Cimarron has always exchanged any true lemon I ever bought from them.  ;)

Athena Jake

Double check the pins that hold the firing pin in.
I replaced mine with rolled pins, the ones split on the side hollow in the middle...? (Tension pins?)

The original pins started to drift and would catch or hang up on the sides.

Also drilled out the pins that hold the cylinder bolt in place, and replaced them with hex head set screws.
Makes it much easier to remove the cylinder bolts and clean behind the back plate if needed.
Main reason was I have a sequential pair of the revolvers, one of the revolvers was missing the pin that keeps the cylinder bolt from unscrewing and I sure did not want to send them back for a missing pin!

Athena Jake Elder
SASS #74972 / STORM #276 / WARTHOG
McLean County Peacemakers

Abilene

Just to clarify what Athena Jake is saying, I think he is referring to the cylinder pin (some call it the arbor) rather than the cylinder bolt, which is the part that pops up though the bottom of the frame into the bolt notch on the cylinder to lock it in place.

Sorry Jake, just didn't want folks to get confused  ;)

Athena Jake

I am ok with using proper terminilogy!

yeah I was talking aout that long bar thing the cylinder spins on with the hole in the end for the wedge....
I knew there was as shorter name..... ::)
Athena Jake Elder
SASS #74972 / STORM #276 / WARTHOG
McLean County Peacemakers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com