Who makes Cabelas pistols?

Started by Rube Burrows, May 03, 2008, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rube Burrows

Hello, I am wondering who makes Cabelas pistols and are they of good quality?
I am about to buy a pair of Civil War era pistols and really like the Cimarron pistols with the antique finish but was looking at Cabelas also. I am looking for a pair of pistols that would have been carried by a Confederate. I would like them to be as correct as possible even if that means paying more for the pistols.
I could not find anywhere on Cabelas site who makes the pistols. I was in Acadamy Sports the other day and there was a Traditions set but in all honesty it looked very cheaply made. I want something that will stand the test of time much like the originals.

I am open to all ideas and help.

Thanks,
Joey
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Black Powder

I thought Pietta, but Uberti & Pietta both make fine CW bp guns.

I have a '60 Army that's Pietta I'm very pleased with.  EMF carries them: http://www.emf-company.com/1860-model-army-revolver.htm.

And if you're still thinking about a Cimarron with antique finish, Buffalo Arms carries Cimmaron 1851 in antique.  I got my model P from them and all went smooth as could be.  http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,331.html.

Enjoy the pursuit.

BP 
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Fingers McGee

Most of the Cabelas C&Bs are manufactured by Pietta; although some are Uberti (49 Pocket model) and at least 1 - the Rogers & Spencer - is Euroarms.  

Traditions is also made by Pietta.  

Fingers (Who has always had good luck with Cabelas C&Bs) McGee
SASS 28654-L-TG
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Rube Burrows

Very nice. Thanks for the links.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Deadguy

Hey Fingers, don't forget to tell him where the best place to get ammo for a cap n ball is... wink wink...
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Rube Burrows

Quote from: Deadguy on May 03, 2008, 10:58:33 PM
Hey Fingers, don't forget to tell him where the best place to get ammo for a cap n ball is... wink wink...

Ok......the winks dont help me out any......so spill the beans. Where?

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Deadguy

Don't worry, Fingers will tell you.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Pitspitr

I have a '58 Remington from Cabela's and I like it very much. I also had a '60 colt from Cabela's. They were both Peita.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Wolfgang

Pietta makes most of Cabelas.  The '49 pocket and the Remington Revolving Rifle model are Uberti.  The spiller & Burr is mentioned above.  I don't know about it.  Cabelas always has the best price but not as big a selection of models as does Midway.  If you should happen to get a rough one "out of the box"  ( unlikely these days as Pietta's machining and quality control has been upbraded a few years ago)  Cabelas is easy about exchanging for another pistol.   I get swaged balls from Cabelas.  Goex 2f from Powder Inc. in 5 lb. lots as no one carries it locally.  Am using CCI #11 caps which are working great on my '58 Remingtons.  But a couple of friends who have '51 colts found that # 10s worked better for them.   Ya really gotta get the pistol and try caps to find out what works for you.  I use .457 balls and they shave a good ring of lead when seated.  The Cabelas "starter kit" has .451 balls in it and they leaded the barrel very badly before I swiched to bigger dia. balls.  Hope this all helps.  If ya want the pistol to look old ya can do that yurself, . . . Good shootin', . . .  :)    www.drburkholter.com/cf5.html
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Wills Point Pete

The Millenium cartridge revolver is an Uberti. Those are the ones with the brass grip frames and the dead black rough finish. The one I bought didn't work well with black powder in the cartridges. After two trips to the gunsmith I gave up on BP with this revolver and use it for a knockabout gun. It goes in the tacklebox with a couple rounds of snake shot loads or into the holster for rough weather or country woodsloafing.

Pitspitr

I haven't used mine with BP but they have been a joy with the other powder.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Wills Point Pete on May 04, 2008, 12:10:16 PM
The Millenium cartridge revolver is an Uberti. Those are the ones with the brass grip frames and the dead black rough finish. The one I bought didn't work well with black powder in the cartridges. After two trips to the gunsmith I gave up on BP with this revolver and use it for a knockabout gun. It goes in the tacklebox with a couple rounds of snake shot loads or into the holster for rough weather or country woodsloafing.

I had one of those and it worked great with BP! But I was using a "big lube" bullet in it. (250 gr maxi balls in .45 cases)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Fingers McGee

Well, it's really no secret.  www.bpstuffllc.com has the best price on cast balls & wads of anyone I've found lately (other than the free ones I got from J-Bar - but that's another story).  I bought 1000 .380s for $8/hd delivered, and had them 4 days after I ordered them.  To top it all off, had 0 misses with the balls the first match I used them, so...................  I'm thinkin they have some secret process that casts hits in; or not.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Dalton Masterson

The Walkers from Cabelas are Uberti, but the Starrs (if you can find them) are Pietta.
My Millenium SAA has been a good one, even with black. I bought it when they were 199 when they first come out. Should have bought a ton of them. Now that they are 299 or better, I will just buy a pretty one for a little more. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Rube Burrows

Thanks for all of the great replies guys. I look forward to getting the pistols. I am not sure if I want to get the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army or 1858 Remingtons. Im looking into it some more.

A book that I have refered back to for years due to the good pics of real guns and photos of the gunfighters who carried them is called

The Taming Of The West
            Age of the
         GUNFIGHTER

There may be better books out there but This book has been a great help to me.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Cactus Cris

Don't forget Taylors either.  They have always done me right.  They can also tell ya if the model you want was really made in the 1800's.  There are a few types out there that were not made then, and configured to sell more guns.  If you are into authenic, ask them.
   I am partial to my 62's with 1/2 fluted cylinders.  Have them in .36 & .44.
What ever you deciede on--take the nipps out first thing and replace with TRESO nipps & thank me later. ;)
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Noz

Quote from: Joey Guns on May 05, 2008, 08:23:43 PM
Thanks for all of the great replies guys. I look forward to getting the pistols. I am not sure if I want to get the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army or 1858 Remingtons. Im looking into it some more.

A book that I have refered back to for years due to the good pics of real guns and photos of the gunfighters who carried them is called

The Taming Of The West
            Age of the
         GUNFIGHTER

There may be better books out there but This book has been a great help to me.

Find some to shoot before you buy!
They don't all feel the same.
Fingers loves 1851s and 1861s. The grips are too small for me. I like the 1860s. Tried Remingtons and couldn't reach the hammer  shooting duelist.

Rube Burrows

Quote from: NozzleRag on May 06, 2008, 11:48:21 AM
Find some to shoot before you buy!
They don't all feel the same.
Fingers loves 1851s and 1861s. The grips are too small for me. I like the 1860s. Tried Remingtons and couldn't reach the hammer  shooting duelist.

I do wish I could find some to shoot but down here the cowboy action shooting is not nearly popular as other places. I mainly just shoot for fun with a friend or two. There is a place near by (1.5 hours) that holds shoots and I plan to join up with them at some point. I will handle some in the local Cabelas before I buy. That will give me an idea and if I happen to get some that just dont feel right.....well no harm done. I will just have some more nice firearms in my safe.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Dalton Masterson

Joey, where are you located? Maybe we can direct you to someone or somewhere.?. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Steel Horse Bailey

I'm not Joey, but his mini-profile says Louisiana.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com