Newbie question about Lever Action Rifle

Started by Wandering Man, May 02, 2008, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wandering Man

I just recieved my Uberti Winchester 1873 clone.   ;D

This is the first lever action rifle I've ever had, so excuse me while I show my ignorance:  :-\

The plate over the ejection port does not close after working the lever.   :'(

Is this normal?  Or is there an adjustment I need to make with the screw on the top of the plate that seems to loosen and tighten a prodruding lip?

I've not yet had a chance to put live rounds in the gun, and I do not know if it will respond differently when I actually shoot it.

Thanks for educating me.

WM
Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

boot strap jack

The plate is there as a dust cover, to help keep dirt and debrie out of the action. Close it when transporting, or storing. Enjoy shooting your new rifle, you will find it adictive. ;D

CarverTripp

WM,
While it may have been a neat idea for the dust cover to open and close every time a round was chambered, Winchester didn't design it that way. The bolt opens it, you close it when your done shooting.
Be careful when you put ammo in your new rifle. ;)
Carver
NRA member
NCSA member

Deadeye Don

Wandering Man,  Welcome to the board.  The screw is there on the dust cover to tighten the dust cover movement.  The other pards already told you how it operated.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Wandering Man

Thanks.

I feel better knowing it's supposed to work that way.   :D

Now I can just enjoy.

It will see real ammo first thing in the morning at my local range.

WM

boot strap jack

WM, Did you get out to shoot? Did you enjoy it? And of course welcome aboard.
BSJ

Wandering Man

Quote from: boot strap jack on May 04, 2008, 02:03:46 PM
WM, Did you get out to shoot? Did you enjoy it? And of course welcome aboard.
BSJ

Thanks for asking.

Yes, 3Reds and I went out for the Texas Riviera Pistoleros' shoot this weekend in Corpus Christi, TX.  Our first shoot.

Very confused during our first stage, but felt a bit more like old hands by the last.  The folks were great, showing us what where to be and which direction to go.  3Reds got knocked back a step the first time she fired the shotgun, but the women gathered round between stages and showed her how to handle the shotgun without pain.

3Reds had some concerns that her back would interfere, but she handled everything well.  we both had a great time.  And I can't thank the other shooters enough for their guidance and friendliness.

WM

Wandering Man

BTW:

The rifle worked beautifully.  We did discover, however, that it does not seem to like SWC rounds.

WM

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Wandering Man on May 04, 2008, 06:44:52 PM
BTW:

The rifle worked beautifully.  We did discover, however, that it does not seem to like SWC rounds.

WM

Too true.  It was made long before those type of rounds were invented.  The straight push into the chamber means that the sharp shoulder on a SWC will catch almost every time.  Use either the RNFP (Round nosed Flat Point) or the newer TC (Truncated Cone) tips.  Round nose bullets will feed well too, but are UNSAFE because they can cause the primers to go off in the mag tube from the recoil of firing.  Loaded singly, however, they will work - but it's a bit of a PIA.  (Pain In the A$$)

Enjoy your gun - it's one of the finest and funnest  ;) designs ever made!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Wandering Man

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on May 15, 2008, 09:49:57 PM

Too true.  It was made long before those type of rounds were invented.  The straight push into the chamber means that the sharp shoulder on a SWC will catch almost every time.  Use either the RNFP (Round nosed Flat Point) or the newer TC (Truncated Cone) tips.  Round nose bullets will feed well too, but are UNSAFE because they can cause the primers to go off in the mag tube from the recoil of firing.  Loaded singly, however, they will work - but it's a bit of a PIA.  (Pain In the A$$)

Enjoy your gun - it's one of the finest and funnest  ;) designs ever made!

Funniest?

Thanks for the advice on Flat points.  I've been loading RN.  I guess its time to switch.   :o

WM

Deadeye Don

"Enjoy your gun - it's one of the finest and FUNNEST  designs ever made!"

Although sometimes I do feel like laughing when I shoot my wifes 73, but only because it is so much fun.

Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Wandering Man

Quote from: Deadeye Don on May 16, 2008, 06:13:56 AM
"Enjoy your gun - it's one of the finest and FUNNEST  designs ever made!"

Although sometimes I do feel like laughing when I shoot my wifes 73, but only because it is so much fun.

Oops!   ::)

Yeah, I gotta agree it gives me a thrill everytime I take it out of the safe.

3Reds has determined that the gun is too heavy for her.

So this afternoon, I drive two hours north to pick up a new Marlin '94 for her.

I feel purdy lucky that I've got a wife who gets excited about this stuff!

WM

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Wandering Man on May 16, 2008, 08:01:12 AM
Oops!   ::)

Yeah, I gotta agree it gives me a thrill everytime I take it out of the safe.

3Reds has determined that the gun is too heavy for her.

So this afternoon, I drive two hours north to pick up a new Marlin '94 for her.

I feel purdy lucky that I've got a wife who gets excited about this stuff!

WM

You ARE lucky!

And yep - funnest.  My '66 is just the same way - funnest.  ::)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

litl rooster

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on May 16, 2008, 08:33:30 AM

You ARE llucky!

And yep - funnest.  My '66 is just the same way - funnest.  ::)

but so is an AR 15
Mathew 5.9

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: litl rooster on June 08, 2008, 12:03:37 AM

but so is an AR 15

Yes, indeed ...

But my '66 with BP is funner.

It's the funnerest! ;D

Pitspitr

Quote from: litl rooster on June 08, 2008, 12:03:37 AM

but so is an AR 15
My Thompson has sto be right up there in the Heathen Powder class funnest. It makes me giggle everytime I get it out and as Freeda Bee Me Says WHOO HOOOO! Sure gets expensive to shoot though.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Four Eyed Floyd

Yeah all those are great but you can't beat a lever and Wholly Black!  8) There is a coolness factor! ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com