F in Powder

Started by Paladin UK, May 02, 2008, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin UK

OK Now I got yer attention....... ;D

How many pards use ff rather than fff in their pistolas and... Why  ::)

Paladin (Whats gotsta know  ::)) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Peddler Parsons

I mix both together for my pistols better mix and filler and fire and smoke

Steel Horse Bailey

I use them interchangeably.  About the only thing I load BP for that I DON'T use 3F in is 45-70 - and I have, with no problems.  3F IS more energetic in it and my 12 ga.  I PREFER 3F for my pistol cartridges and C&B and 2F in my 12 ga. and I prefer Goex Cartridge (which is closest to 2F, but with more size consistency) in my 45-70.

I really can't tell much difference between them as I've never had the opportunity to shoot one type at the same time as the other in the same guns at the same shooting session.  From one month with one type to the next month with the other type, it's pretty much six-of-one, half-dozen-of-the-other.  I suspect I'd have to have a chronograph to actually measure the difference, 'cause my hand and ears can't tell.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Wills Point Pete

Well, I did chrono my BP loads a while back and the FFFG gave some forty feet per second more velocity than the FFG in my 24 inch barreled '92 clone, that in .45 Colt. The five and a half inch tubes of the SAA clones were also faster with the triple FG, unfortunately I can't find my notes and don't recall, persactly.
I cannot tell any difference in accuracy, perhaps a better shot could. Having said that, I now use FFG for all my loads both .45 Colt and 12 gauge, it simplifies the logistics. I could have gone with FFFG instead, and probably would have if I'd been loading for hunting or combat. Since I am only shooting at the steel train robbers and cattle rustlers I chose the double F, the flame is bigger and black powder IS all about the show, no?
Folks get used to the pop-tink, pop-tink, pop-tink. Then a BP shooter comes to the line and is BOOM-CLANG!, BOOM-CLANG!, BOOM-CLANG!, YEE_HAW!

Arcey

2f in everything from .38 Specials to 45-70s to 12 ga. to the C&Bs.

However, should someone want to send me a few pounds of 3f and/or Goex Cartridge I'll be happy to test it 'n send ya a full report.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Dick Dastardly

FFg in all my scatterguns from .410 to 10ga.  FFFg in all my pistols and rifles from .32 S&W to 45 Colt.  FFFg in my 38-55.  FFFg in my 45-70 over a 5% layer of SR4759 sparkplug.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

JL McGillicuddy

I use 2f in my pistol and rifle loads.  The reason I chose to go that way is that one of my goals in shooting BP is flamethrowing with every shot.  So far, so good. 

I have a pound of 3f that I am going to experiment with to see what results I get, but most likely will stay with 2f.

Jack Lee

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy again, Paladin

Another thing - and this goes against "common wisdom" too; I've used 2F, 3F and Goex Cartridge in my 38 S&W.  Again, no appreciable difference in any of them that I could tell.

Wills Point Pete says he gets more fire from 2F.  If he says so I believe him, but can anyone provide a reasonable explanation as to why?  If this is true (and while I haven't noticed it myself, I don't doubt him) I may change over to 2F.  I LIKE the idea of more fire!!!  ;D  Like him, I load only for the steel bandits, not even hunting.  More fire is COOL!

For example:

This photo was taken at Ft. Riley, KS. at the 2007 US Cavalry Competition, and I WISH I could credit the photographer, but I never got a name.  It is an amazing action shot of a shooter using BP.  There IS a trick, 'tho.  This was the final match and near the end of the day - the Grand Finale.  The balloons were filled with propane. 

It's STILL a great BP shot of some pretty awesome flames!!!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dick Dastardly

Note the 4Fg look in the horses eye.  He don't like it one bit.  Must be a good horse, else he'd be goin' the opposite way without the rider.

Love 'em flames.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Black Powder

3f in .44 c&b, 2f in .58 musket.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Goatlips

I normally wouldn't reply and stir things up, but since it's you, Paladin ol' hoss, I confess to using 4f (FFFFg)  :o in all my .38 loads, Rooger and Rossi.  I get a bit more oomph from the pistols and a good gas seal in the rifle.  You can't believe the scoldings I get on line (EEEK!  THAT'S PRIMING POWDER!  YOU'RE AN IDIOT! YOU"LL BLOW UP YOUR GUNS! etc., etc)  from the experts who've not tried it but 4f has worked well for me for nearly ten years.  It's just gunpowder.  NOW then I wouldn't use it in a shot gun, and frankly it makes less noise and flame than 2 and 3 f.  More of it burns in the bar'l and cylinder and less outside the gun.  Best noise comes from 1f and cannon powder.  ;D

Confession being good for the soul, I feel better now.
(Hee hee, I use it my .38 S&W pocket loads, too!)  ;)

Goatlips

sundance44`s

I use 3f in hunting loads ..2f in target loads , from cap and ball to 45/70 ...I ran the 2f vs 3f through the crono in my 45/70 65gr loads ..405 gr bullets fly 50 fps faster with the 3f ..not a big deal , but every little bit helps for clean kills on boar hogs .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Judge Lead

3F in every thing. 38 Spl, 357, 44/40, 45/70, 38/55, 32/20 and 12g

With a compressed load, who really knows what the powder ends up like. I have pulled some loads and need to get a pick in there to get any powder out as it becomes pellet like. If this don't send it to the 4 or 5F state, it comes darn close.

Thats my thoughts anyways.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Wills Point Pete

Steel Horse, in bright daylight I cannot see any difference from behind the guns. But in a dark cloudy day or in the dark the difference is noticable. The fireball isn't a whole lot bigger but those sparklers are much more pronounced with the FFG over the triple F. This, of course was one batch of GOEX. I haven't tested any other powders for that and probably won't. When I've bought powder since I have stuck with just the double F from Graf's, that is the Schuetzen powder with the Graf's label.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Wills Point Pete on May 03, 2008, 03:20:34 PM
Steel Horse, in bright daylight I cannot see any difference from behind the guns. But in a dark cloudy day or in the dark the difference is noticable. The fireball isn't a whole lot bigger but those sparklers are much more pronounced with the FFG over the triple F. This, of course was one batch of GOEX. I haven't tested any other powders for that and probably won't. When I've bought powder since I have stuck with just the double F from Graf's, that is the Schuetzen powder with the Graf's label.

Bigger granules: bigger sparks.  Makes sense.

Paladin UK

:o WOW!! :o
Thanks fer all yer replies pards.......

I aint been on tha `puter since Friday so`s it wuz nice ta see such a mixed bunch of answers.

I personally shoot fffg in all pistolas n carbines and ffg in my sweet little 16 scatterguns. And as its coming up to my yearly `top up` at Bisley in 3 weeks I wuz toying with the idea of jest using ONE flavour rather than TWO!!

I think I`m gonna go fer ffg ONLY as it seems that the main difference is .... I`m gonna get me MORE SMOKE`n FLAMES!! from using ffg in All my smokepoles. ;D

Like it wuz mentioned, and I aint downing game jest paper `n steel targets at close ranges therefor 30-40 ft per sec aint worth the worry over the most important thing.........
BOOOOOOOOOOM CLAAAAAANG!!  ;D  over ping ting!! ::)

Paladin (Whats thankful fer yer input  ;) ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Doctor Bill

0.45 colt, 12 gauge, 45-120, and 0.50 muzzle-loader.  Shoot ffg in all of them to avoid confusion.
Remington Revolver Shooter
Warthog
League of the South
Alchemist and brewmeister extraordinaire

Silent Joe

3F for all my guns. .38 Sp. ; 357 Mag. and .45 LC. For me it's good enough, a lot of noise, a lot of smoke and a big boom-clang. On this picture a used my .45 SAA Colt.

Paladin UK

Fer Silent Joe...
Ya say.......

Quote3F for all my guns. .38 Sp. ; 357 Mag. and .45 LC.

I agree on usin one powder fer pistolas !!

BUT what I`m sayin is What powder is good enuf fer ALL yer smokepoles..Pistolas,rifles and scatterguns

Paladin (What hopes he`s clarified this an iddy bit  :D ) UK

Paladins Web Site

Roosterman

Quote from: Paladin UK on May 05, 2008, 07:18:34 AM
Fer Silent Joe...
Ya say.......

I agree on usin one powder fer pistolas !!

BUT what I`m sayin is What powder is good enuf fer ALL yer smokepoles..Pistolas,rifles and scatterguns

Paladin (What hopes he`s clarified this an iddy bit  :D ) UK
2ff for all. The targets for cowboy shooting are so close that the extra speed 3fff gives isn't needed.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com