Ruger Old Army

Started by Jethro "Black Jack" Harris, May 01, 2008, 08:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jethro "Black Jack" Harris

Howdy, Pards,
I'm new here so I gots lots o' questions. I currently have a 1970 Euroarms Remington in .36 caliber. I keep reading about Ruger Old Army. Local gun shop has one, stainless, 7 1/2" barrel, .44 cal, for about $500. Is that a good buy? Not sure if I want to stick with historically "accurate" weapons or not at this point, but leaning that way which is way I ain't got that ROA yet.

Thanks, and smoke 'em...

Jethro
"Here lies Lester Moore...4 shots from a 44...no Les, no more"

Dick Dastardly

That price is fair.  That $500 gun will outlast a half a dozen Italian made clones and still be going strong.  Historically correct?  Nope.  It has very modern innards, the latest ordinance quality steel and fine USA craftsmanship.  You will find that it has absolutely NO guarantee, but being a Ruger, you can send it back to the maker and you will get it back with whatever you managed to break fixed and done right.

The ROA is the strongest made C&B gun made.

If you want a conversion cylinder, the Kirst Konverter is equal to, or better than, the quality of the ROA it's self.  It's also just as strong.

So, have I made your decision any easier?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Noz

Quote from: Jethro "Black Jack" Harris on May 01, 2008, 08:23:43 PM
Howdy, Pards,
I'm new here so I gots lots o' questions. I currently have a 1970 Euroarms Remington in .36 caliber. I keep reading about Ruger Old Army. Local gun shop has one, stainless, 7 1/2" barrel, .44 cal, for about $500. Is that a good buy? Not sure if I want to stick with historically "accurate" weapons or not at this point, but leaning that way which is way I ain't got that ROA yet.

Thanks, and smoke 'em...

Jethro
I see a lot of ROAs for about that price but most if not all of them have the adjustable sights. Currently that restricts you to the MODERN class or an age governed class. Be sure you are getting the fixed sighted one if you want to shoot it in any of the black powder classes.

Paladin UK

Fer  Barbarosa ...

Lurv   the grips!!!
Paladin (What aint shot fer 4 days `n is already gettin kinda itchy ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Ned Pepper GB

Best Cap & Ball you can buy, my five & half fixed stainless model shoots great with DD'S bullet and 30g of the holy powder.
Strong as an Ox and goes all day without fouling problems.
Ned Pepper GB
Picketts Hill Marshals
Sootlord
BOLD 452
SCORRS
RATS

JL McGillicuddy

I gave just about that for mine, so yes, I would say that seems to be about the going price. 

That said, I have seen fair minded dealers at gunshows locally still selling them for 360 each.  Saw a bunch in the Feb show I attended and only one at the one last month, so that may also be going away. 

As NozzleRag said, make sure it is the fixed sight version if you are planning to shoot CAS with it.

Jack Lee

Flint

Since Ruger has ceased production of the gun, get what you want now, as they won't get any cheaper as the supply dries up....
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com