Changes to Uberti 1872 Open Tops

Started by Cole Bluesteele, April 30, 2008, 10:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cole Bluesteele

Just a notice that Uberti has made a change in their Open Top design, which may eliminate the practice of buying multiple cylinders and/or barrels for quick caliber and barrel length swaps.

I just got a pair of cylinders from the new shipment to VTI.  They are .38 special's.  Well, Uberti has changed the dimensions.  The ratchet is slightly larger, which could be handled by adjusting the hand.  However, the bushing end of the cylinder is 1/16" SHORTER than those on the cylinders of the pistols I have.  As a result the cylinder chamber face contacts the barrel before the bushing. The only way to install one of these new dimension cylinders would be to trim 1/16' off the frame and barrel throat.

Be advised of these changes if your planned any additions.  Be certain to ask before you buy.  When I spoke with VTI they were not aware of the change.  They are graciously willing to accept the return of the cylinders.  As always, it's a pleasure to deal with VTI.

Fox Creek Kid

Are you talking about the true Model 1872 Open Top non-rebated cylinders or Richards Mason rebated cylinders? I say this as Uberti changed their RM '60 Army cylinders circa. 2003.

Cole Bluesteele

These are 1872 Open Top pistol cylinders by Uberti. Not RM's.  There was an earlier post about the RM' changes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com