Cast Roundballs & Lubed Wads

Started by Fingers McGee, April 27, 2008, 11:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fingers McGee

Got a lead from another forum on a supplier for cast roundballs & lubed wads.  www.bpstuffllc.com  Decided to give em a try with their .380 roundballs since my normal supplier had run out.  Well, I ordered some on Tuesday morning (1000 of em to be exact). He emailed me that he didnt have that many on hand; but would get right to em. I received them in yesterday's mail.  Went through the some of the bags & didnt find any wrinkled or damaged ones. They all were shiney & round without any spru protrusion. Used them in a 5 stage monthly match today & managed to shoot a clean match - well, no misses anyhow - with them. From this limited experiment; I'd say that BPstuff's roundballs have the hits cast in.

Oh yeah, they were $7/hd with $10.00 shipping.  .454s are $8/hd with probably the same shipping.  His lubed felt wads are $6/200 for .36 and .44 cal.

The company is located in Oshkosh, WI.

Fingers (who now has enough balls to last the rest of the year) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Tame Bill

Fingers,

Thanks you sir for the information as I have ordered a  thousand .380 RB's too.

I am and remain your loyal and obedient servant,

Tame Bill
I never, in my life, took any mean advantage of an enemy, but I never allowed a man to get the drop on me either.
http://www.tamebill.com/

Plum Loco

Yes ,  thanks for the heads up info    :)

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Tame Bill on April 29, 2008, 04:52:15 PM
Fingers,

Thanks you sir for the information as I have ordered a  thousand .380 RB's too.

I am and remain your loyal and obedient servant,

Tame Bill

YW Bill.  Ya gonna be usin them at POP, or you gonna be shootin them new fangled cahtridge guns?

Glad to be of assistance pards.

FM

AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Deadguy

That website (http://www.bpstuffllc.com) looks to have had some updating.  Now there are photos of some revolvers on it....
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Deadguy

There is now .457" round ball and fully tuned and tricked out 1851 navies for sale at http://www.bpstuffllc now too!
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Deadguy

Now http://www.bpstuffllc.com has tuned Pietta Colt 1851s, 1860s, and Remingtons on sale too, starting at $250, including period-correct finishes, chamber reaming, and Treso nipples, and more.

Dick Dastardly

That tricked out LeMat looks interesting.

Did the math and an annual match would cost around $11.00 with those round balls and wads.  I shoot that much with EPP-UGs for under a buck.  No wads needed.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Deadguy

Hey DD,

Where do you get your lead that cheap, that you can make enough boolits for a match for under a buck?  Did you make a lucky score at a salvage yard?  Even casting my own, and shooting small rounds, such as .380 RB, I can't do it that cheap.  If you know of a dealer that sells that low, could you please share?  Us casters on this site would like to know. 

Ransom Gaer

fingersmcgee,

I have a question about his lubed wads.  I may have to get some of his roundballs.  I've used wonderwads in the past and another brand called Michaels.  The wonderwads are I think a little light on the lube and the Michaels have a ton of it.  I really like them.  How are the one from this outfit you found.

I think I will have to give him a try on the roundballs, both .380 and .454.

Thanks,

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Dick Dastardly

Ho Deadguy,

I've been buyin' 5gal buckets of ww for 20 bux a pop.  I get about 150 pounds of usable ingots out of a bucket.  So, I make boolits on the cheep.  Also, had a pard bring me a beta ray shielding scrap for free.  That was about 400 lbs of straight up glow in the dark lead that made great boolits.

I'm always keepin' my antenna up for free/cheep lead.  There's still some out there, but the chinks are drivin' up the prices. . .

Casting boolits is fun.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Fingers McGee

Ransom, Havent tried any of his wads myself.  There have been a couple people that have on other forums and have had positive comments.  here's link to one http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290198&page=2

FM

Deadguy

DD,

I have heard that WWs are hard on Cap n Ball replicas.  I take it that you have found that not to be the case.  I have tried getting WWs around here (Oshkosh,WI area), but none of the tire/auto shops will sell them.  They all seem to have contracts with recyclers, or they use them for casting their own bullets and sinkers.  :(

Dick Dastardly

I got lucky and found a tire dealer that sells 'em by the 5gal bucket full.  His price has been rising.

The EPP-UG design works great with WW metal.  The narrow driving bands/lube retainers are very easy to lube/size to chamber size for a nice interference fit.  They go in easy, don't back out and seal the chamber very well.  There's no need for any wads, cookies or over bullet smears.  These little bullets emulate round balls, being about as long as they are wide.  The wide and deep lube canyon carries so much lube that they run very well in rifles.  The bullets weigh 150 grains and the same size round ball weighs 147 grains.

El Paso Pete really did his homework when he designed this great bullet.  I only wish he had lived to see how well it worked out.

The EPP-UG molds are the big LEE Six cavity Pro models.  Those little fat bullets pile up in a hurry.  I've not found a round ball mold made with that many cavities.

Quick to cast, easy to lube/size, convenient to load, great to shoot and real easy to clean up after the match and no need to clean up in between to keep the guns running.  What's not to like?

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Deadguy

DD,

So far, that bullet sounds impressive.  Does it fly straight for at least 50-100 yards? Or does it tend to scatter after 25 yards or so like some other lightweight bullets do?  I like to shoot at 50-100 yards, especially with my Dragoon.  Will this bullet fly as straight at those distances like round ball and heavier conicals do?  If so, I may have to pick this one up (when I have the cash for it, that is!)

springfield

If you are shooting longer ranges the DD-ROA 210 grainer would probably serve you better. Still a Big Lube(tm) bullet, but may not load with the cylinder in the gun. Not only are they heavier but I think the rounded nose would give you less drag at the longer distances.  They hold a bit more lube than the EPP's also.

springfield

Assumming 14 stages for a 2 day match, with all 10-10-4 stages, for 140 150 grain EPP-UG bullets down range for the pistol, that comes to 3 lbs of lead. At the inflated price of 1.00/lb, that comes to 3.00 for pistol ammo. If you cast your own. Cheaper than balls and wads. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com