new hand and spring

Started by Flint, April 25, 2008, 02:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint

My new hand/pawl and the frame adapted for it. 

The frame

pietta hands, new and used with mine, compared

The straight rear face rides more smoothly, provides more pressure through the stroke, and is easier to make....  The rear curve on the factory hand is to provide clearance for the leaf spring when compressed, the coil and plunger don't need it.

new hand, made of 4140 steel

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Wolfgang

Very interesting design work.   

Good shootin', . . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Wwalstrom

Speaking of Design Work ... you wouldn't be willing to share some prints, would you?  The hand mod looks like something I'd like to try ...

Fox Creek Kid

So when do you start installing them in our guns?  ;D :D ;)

Flint

Fox Creek, I can do it now, as I have tested the change on a few of my guns.  If you want me to work on your revolver let me know and we'll make arrangements.  I'm in Arizona, and your profile time shows you 2 hours across the time zone.  Cap & ball or 75?  I can' yet ship and receive cartridge guns until I get an FFL.

The prototype showed me what to change (like not bringing the threads out past the shortest part of the arc), I will make the screw with a minimum head so the appearance will not have the thread making a star pattern at the edge of the hole.

The hand I have material for, 4140 steel, and can make it readily.  Now I see I can sell them I'll stack them to make more than one at a time.

Wwalstrom, I can give you a print, but drillling the hole for the plunger and spring is tricky, I mapped it out, but chuck clearance is critical to prevent hitting the backstrap and marring the gun, if you have the right equipment, I can tell you where it goes, but I'd rather do it here.  I't also different between the Uberti and the Pietta.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Wwalstrom

I, personally, may not be able to accomplish the drilling of the hole ... but I am still interested in the prints, as I am a Mechanical Designer/Drafter by trade, so, I'm naturally curious about them, and, to a lesser extent, I'm interested in any gunsmithing-type print ... especially prints for firearms I own (like Pietta Remingtons).

What CAD format was used?  At work, we use Pro/ENGINEER, and I have access to AutoCAD Lite and SolidWorks.

Rolling Stone

Flint,
I have a brass frame ASM 1858 on which I would like to have the adaption performed. I have both c&b and Kirst cylinders. Do you have any idea what it's going to cost. Pietta cylinders work on this gun as well as the spring and hand from Dixie. Shipping should be no problem with the c&b cylinder, right? Does the spring and plunger go thru one of the grip spring screw holes? Thanks
Ulysses Hale
ujhale at gmail.com

Flint

Wwalstrom, I have the drawings and 3-D CAD in Solidworks format.  I could send you an IGES file, or DXF. let me know what will work for you.

Rolling Stone, the coil and plunger are inserted through a new hole drilled in the backstrap, and threaded for a set screw retainer.  A new hand is made of harder steel as seen in the photos in my original posting.

SASS 976, NRA Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com