Pro & Cons of shooting a C & B 44 Dragoon ????

Started by Marshal J.D.Lightning, April 25, 2008, 07:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Horse Bailey

Well, a lot depends on what you want to do.  Are you a speed competitor? (Shooting C&B?  :o  ::) )  You won''t win any speed matches with Hellgate's load of 44 grs.  Too much smoke ... too much recoil for the speed demons.  (Notice I DIDN'T say gamers.) 

Personally, Hellgate's load - which is nearly identical to MY load - sounds great to me!   Let that puppy "buck and roar!"  Let the other shooters know that you mean business!  Shoot it the way God and Col. Colt intended!   

One thing to consider, 'tho.  if you shoot those (near) full loads, you will wear out your pistol sooner than if you shoot reduced loads.  The problem is that the rammer may not seat a ball down on a reduced (20-25 gr.) load without leaving an air space.  And THAT can be a problem!  With 30 grs. in mine, the ball wouldn't seat and compress the powder and I got inconsistent ignition.  When I put 35 grs. or more, the problem went away.  I'll let others tell you about using possible fillers - which will work safely, I just don't do it.

You said:  "Leaning more towards this black stuff the more I read."

You won't be sorry, Marshall J.D.!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

hellgate

The 2F BP is a lot milder on the gun. Less of a whap with a softer recoil from a more broad pressure curve compared to the faster 3F.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Marshal J.D.Lightning

Steel Horse & Hellgate,

Thanks soooo much guys all your help is very much appreciated  :) :)

Let me assure you that speed is not my game  ::) I'm just there for the fun & the shooting  ;D ;D Love my Schofields but remembering back a few years ago how much I enjoyed shooting C & B (even though it was one of them Rugers OA  :-[  :'( :-[ ) & wanted to shoot B.P. again & like the look of the Dragoon  8) plus I like military handguns !!!
You will be all pleased to know that My Darling Wife has put a deposit on a PAIR  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D of Uberti 3rd model Dragoons for my birthday in a few months (Takes about 6 - 8 weeks here in Aust to get the permits through  :'( :'( :'( )
Can't thank you guys enough for pointing me in the right direction & answering all my questions. Undoubtably I will have some more & now that I know I'm getting my babies  ::) ::) ::) I'd better join up & become a true "DARKSIDER" :D
I'll keep you all posted on how it's going & post some pics when I get them (in about 2 months  :'( :'( :'( )

Thanks again & take care.

Marshal J.D.
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Dalton Masterson

If your needing leather for those, check in at the Leather Shop forum here at CAS city. I havent made any for a dragoon, just walkers, but I am sure somebody there will have a pattern for ya. Good luck!

Oh Cons, you dont have them yet!
Pros, big smile on your face!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Steel Horse Bailey

Hey Dalton,

FWIW, I have a flap holster made for a Walker that I can carry my Dragoon in.  From what I can see, the barrel length is the only real dimension you'd have to change.  And that's 1 inch.  No Big Deal.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dalton Masterson

Thats a good thing to know Steel Horse. I know the cylinder is a little longer on the Walker too, but if thats the only differences holster wise, heck, thats great. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: dalton masterson on May 01, 2008, 03:55:35 PM
Thats a good thing to know Steel Horse. I know the cylinder is a little longer on the Walker too, but if thats the only differences holster wise, heck, thats great. DM

I think the diameter is the same and about 1/8" (perhaps 1/4") longer cylinder on the Walker.  That's about it, as far as I know.

Deadguy

Quote from: hellgate on April 30, 2008, 04:17:29 PM
The 2F BP is a lot milder on the gun. Less of a whap with a softer recoil from a more broad pressure curve compared to the faster 3F.

In his book SIXGUNS, Elmer Keith recommended a full cylinder of 2F BP topped with a wad and a ball, claiming it was the most accurate loading for cap and ball revolvers, both the .36 and .44 caliber varieties.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Deadguy on May 02, 2008, 11:53:45 AM
In his book SIXGUNS, Elmer Keith recommended a full cylinder of 2F BP topped with a wad and a ball, claiming it was the most accurate loading for cap and ball revolvers, both the .36 and .44 caliber varieties.

I'm glad to know that I'm as smart as Elmer Keith!  :o  ::)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   ;)

Dr. Bob

SHB,

I'm glad to know that too.  I will remember not to underestimate you in the future!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com