Pro & Cons of shooting a C & B 44 Dragoon ????

Started by Marshal J.D.Lightning, April 25, 2008, 07:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal J.D.Lightning

G'day Pards,

I'm needing some help from you Darksiders  8) 8) 8)

I'm looking at getting myself a Uberti Dragoon & would just like to know the pros & cons of these shooting irons. I normally shoot a pair of Uberti Schofields but just want a Dragoon for a bit of fun & I have liked the look of the Dragoons since I was a Kid  ;D ;D ;D. Any advice on the Dragoon which may help me decide to get one would be greatly appreciated  ;D ;D ;D

Take care, shoot straight & have fun with them cowboy guns.

Lightning.
Marshal J.D.Lightning
Provost Marshal. US Cavalry
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Judge Lead

What in blazes are you up to now JD.

Shooting those Schoffies not enough for you, now you want to get a cannon ???.

See ya down the track.

Regards
When we were younger, the days seemed to drag. As we get older, we wish they would.

Noz

Why mess with a wimpy Dragoon, go for the Walker.
One of our shooters, Chaos Jumbles is shooting a Walker as a main match gun. VERY impressive.
Makes my 1860s look like gamer toys.

Deadeye Don

I would go for the Dragoon.  I have a 3rd model Uberti that I will be shooting sometime this season.  I also have an RandD cylinder for it in 45 colt.   Steel Horse Bailey would likely give you some tips as he has a 2nd generation 3rd model Dragoon. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Deadguy

I have an uberti 2nd model Dragoon, and here's the pros and cons that I have noticed.

Pros:

Big boom
big smoke
big fire
it builds wrist strength

Cons:

your powder flask goes empty quickly ;-)
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Steel Horse Bailey

I'll go along with Mr. Deadguy!

When I shoot my Dragoon (1st model) I am wasteful: I shoot 40-50 grs (usually around 43) and can find no real cons.  It's a hoot!

A lot of folks will tell you that the lever latch IS the main improvement of the Dragoon over the Walker.  It IS distracting to shoot the lever down!  However, at 50 grs, my Dragoon STILL will pop the lever down about once out of 5 shots!!!  Perhaps the 3rd Model Dragoon, which has the newer style latch (like on the later Colts) has the "staying power" to work all the time! 

Another thing - and this relates to the ONE disadvantage, ie: emptying the flask quickly - a normal BP charge, like what I use in my 1860 @ 25-30 grs,  from of a Dragoon sounds downright puny and may not even compress the powder enough with a round ball!  I got inconsistent booms.

Finding holsters is a little harder, too.  Don't forget, the Walkers and Dragoons were considered to be "horse Pistols", not belt pistols, so authentic holsters are few and far between.  I have a Military-style flap holster made for Walkers and Dragoons.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Deadeye Don

My mistake Jeff.  I thought you have a 3rd model Dragoon, second generation.  I was sure you knew how to shoot it though!! ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Fingers McGee

Quote from: Deadguy on April 25, 2008, 09:09:07 AM
I have an uberti 2nd model Dragoon, and here's the pros and cons that I have noticed.

Pros:

Big boom
big smoke
big fire
it builds wrist strength

Cons:

your powder flask goes empty quickly ;-)

+1

Another con is you need more than just sponge ear plugs to keep from going deef.

I've shot em in the past as well as a Walker.  They are a hoot and gawkers come from miles around to see what's going on.

Fm
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Marshal J.D.Lightning

Thanks Guys.

This will probably grow to be a set but I'm just starting out to see if I enjoy it as much as my Schofields. Not sure about this B.P. it might be a lot of hard work with all that cleaning & stuff  ;D ;D ;D

Judge, what are you saying Mate  ??? You can only use that B.P. stuff in the Nov. shoot can't you & my beloved Schofields don't like it so I thought I might try something else & with this hand cannon I can make more smoke & noise than Wallaby  ;D ;D 8) 8)

Thanks again Guys & please keep the advice coming.

Lightning.
Marshal J.D.Lightning
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

hellgate

I have two Walkers and a Dragoon. I use the same load in all of them: 44grs FFg+wad+.454 ball+grease+#10 Remington cap. They are my 44/44s. Due to weenie wrists I shoot 'em all with two hands like a girl. Nobody seems to care 'cause they're shooting pa-dink loads with two hands and think they're cowboys too. I got the Walker holsters from Cabelas that look like Hunter brand with snaps on the straps. I went to my friendly neighborhood shoe repair and told them to remove the snaps and sew the back down to the holster and presto, a "slim jim". Again, not real authentic but nobody cares. They are blinded by the beauty (or deafened by the sound) of the guns and just smile and shake their heads as they walk away. Cool. Way cool. I do the same: just smile and walk away.........
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Marshal J.D.Lightning

OK Guys,

Which model is which  ??? What one has the squared trigger guard  ??? ??? ???

The more I look the harded it is becoming  ;) But I'm having fun  8) 8) 8)

thanks again.

Lightning (soon to become a Darksider I think  ::) )
Marshal J.D.Lightning
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Deadguy

The Second Model Dragoon has a squareed trigger guard.
Check out my website at www.bpstuffllc.com for blackpowder shooting supplies and custom finished and tuned cap and ball revolvers!

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Marshal J.D.Lightning on April 26, 2008, 03:56:04 AM
OK Guys,

Which model is which  ??? What one has the squared trigger guard  ??? ??? ???

The more I look the harder it is becoming  ;) But I'm having fun  8) 8) 8)

thanks again.

Lightning (soon to become a Darksider I think  ::) )

Good !!!

OK:  Here's most of the visible differences.  Somewhere during the 3 Models, the mainspring got changed to what is in the later guns.  There may be a few other differences, but ... ?

1st Model: squared guard, oval cylinder stop holes, 1st model lever latch

2nd Model: squared guard, rectangular cylinder stop holes, 1st model latch (I think)

3rd Model: rounded guard, rectangular cylinder stop holes, last model lever latch (like on the 1851s & 1860s, etc.)

While the squared guard looks WAY cool to me, now that I have one, I understand WHY they were changed.  With anything over a 35-40 gr. charge, recoil puts that squared point right into your hand.  Firmly.  Not really painful, but distracting, if you know what I men: an annoyance that is just short of slightly painful.

But I DO love my 1st Model !!!   It's a hand-full of Mammy Jammer!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Marshal J.D.Lightning

Thanks Deadguy & Steel Horse Bailey,

thanks so much for the heads-up. I think I'm going to go for the 3rd model Dragoon  :) The hands can't handle much belting around anymore  :( :( :( But I love BIG GUNS  8) 8) 8)

Thanks again for all your help & FRIENDLY PERSUASION  ;D ;D I'll keep you posted on how I'm going on getting one.

Take Care, shoot straight & enjoy them cowboy guns  8)

Lightning
Marshal J.D.Lightning
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Marshal J.D.Lightning on April 26, 2008, 09:46:01 PM
Thanks Deadguy & Steel Horse Bailey,

thanks so much for the heads-up. I think I'm going to go for the 3rd model Dragoon  :) The hands can't handle much belting around anymore  :( :( :( But I love BIG GUNS  8) 8) 8)

Thanks again for all your help & FRIENDLY PERSUASION  ;D ;D I'll keep you posted on how I'm going on getting one.

Take Care, shoot straight & enjoy them cowboy guns  8)

Lightning

Glad to help, pard!

They're 4 lbs. 2 oz. of powerful FUN !!!

Deadguy

Dick Dastardly

If ya love big guns, and if ya ain't stuck in history and if ya want to shoot very strong loads with never a worry about gun failure, get yerself a brace of Ruger Old Armys.  NO, they don't have a basis in history, No they aren't period correct whutsomever, but they ARE big guns that WILL handle maximum loads all day every day and never get loose.

I have a brace of ROAs and shoot them both with the original C&B cylinders and Kirst Konverter 45 Colt cylinders.  The 45 Colt ammo can be loaded up with as much FFFg Holy Black as I can squeeze in (and I do mean squeeze) under a PRS 45-250 RNFP Big Lube™ boolit.  This kind of load would soon shoot an open top loose and condemn it to the status of wall decor.

I have a brace of 1860s coming my way.  I'll have both the original C&B cylinders and Kirst Konverters in them along with Kirst ejector rods.  These are way cool guns, but I'd never shoot them with a diet of ammo anything like what my ROAs can handle.

A good number of Colt Walker guns came from together when shot with maximum loads.  I'm thinkn' that's why they were discontinued in favor of the Dragoons.  So, respect those great old designs and enjoy shootn' them with charges that they can and do handle on a continuing basis.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Steel Horse Bailey

DD said:
"A good number of Colt Walker guns came from together when shot with maximum loads.  I'm thinkn' that's why they were discontinued in favor of the Dragoons."

Yep.  The Walker cylinders were made of cast iron, and since they were designed to hold 60 grs. of powder  :o  it was tooo much strain for many of them.  The Dragoons were designed for a 50 gr max charge as an "improvement."  The original 1860 fluted cylinders, and 'tho made for a smaller charge, suffered similar problems and were also quickly discontinued.  I don't know for sure, but perhaps ALL the Colt cylinders were iron until during the (un)Civil War.  St. George might know for sure.

Marshal J.D.Lightning

Guys,

I've got Hellgate's load, now what other suggestions do you have to help me out  ;D ;D

Here in Australia with western action we can't have real big loads, so I need a good western action load to get me started when I get my new toy or toys  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated  :)

Leaning more towards this black stuff the more I read  ::) ::) ::)

All the best.

Lightning
Marshal J.D.Lightning
GAF #422
BOLD #720
BOSS #82
RATS #507
SASA #2528

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com