USFA v Colt again on SASS Wire.

Started by Deadeye Don, April 25, 2008, 06:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on March 01, 2009, 08:01:24 PM
Rawhide, were they the reintroduced Frontier Six Shooters? The two I bought were fantastic. I do believe that USFA scared Colt and Colt shaped up. Having a battle hardened Marine Corps general as your boss tends to shape people up.  :o

He was around when the quality was at an all time low and CS still is horrible at Colt.  The fit and finish on the new ones is better, but still rather average and the imports look just about as good less the authentic case colors as on the Colt.

Fox Creek Kid

Mine were perfect, but as this is a USFA Forum I won't go into it as this has been beat to death in the past.

Appalachian Ed

I have bought 3 new Colts in the past year, and they are perfect as well. and yes, I do own a pair of USFA pre-war revolvers. BUt the days of saying Colt quality is sub-par are over.

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Virginia Gentleman

What is the going price for a Colt and for a USFA equivelant?

Appalachian Ed

You can find a new Colt SAA for as low as $1124.00. I think the USFA Premium single action is about 900.00.

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."

Virginia Gentleman

The one thing that Colt doesn't have that USFA does is the correct parts dimensions from the 1st generation Colts whereas the Colt has changed things so much that it isn't really the same gun as it was made 136 years ago. Colt uses only modern blue and does not offer the real pre-war finish that USFA does.  I'm sure Colt has improved, but not enough so that I can justify the extra cost over a USFA or even the better Italian clones.

Doc Sunrise

This is a hot topic, isn't it?  I for one am glad to hear that Colt is responding to the competition.  Competition is healthy for the consumer and product developments.  I won't be reducing my USFA purchases, and hopefully I won't need to cringe when looking at a Colt.  I am reminded of the times that Colt has suffered in the market place because of the premium price and time delays beyond consumer's patience.  Time will tell.  Amazing how one man's company with a clear mission of quality can bring a giant company back to Earth!

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: Virginia Gentleman on March 02, 2009, 05:43:43 PMThe one thing that Colt doesn't have that USFA does is the correct parts dimensions from the 1st generation Colts whereas the Colt has changed things so much that it isn't really the same gun as it was made 136 years ago...

That is not true, but since we have beaten this horse to death here before AND been WARNED to leave it be, I will.  :-X

Marshal Deadwood

True or false ?

I have heard that the grip rails on first gens are different from what Colt puts on 3 gen SAA's..slight,,but,,different . Supposedly a Uberti Model P,,is more like a 1st gen Colt,,than a  3gen Colt is like a 1st gen Colt ? My gun smith friends says black grips will 'almost fit perfectly a Colt or Model P,,,but,,,usually will not be even 'close' on a 3 gen.  This is only what I have been told, not my own knowledge.

I have seen this like on Brownells site,,,,parts...listed to fit Uberti Cattlemen and 1st gen Colts,,,but if you have a 3gen Colt,,you have to order a different part #, causes it's not 'exactly' the same part.

It is all is a legit question I think.... and if Colts are deminisonaly the same thur the ages,,,how can one prove it , when some things suggest they are indeed not the same ?

Just muzin,,but would like to see if a Colt is indeed still a Colt. Might keep me from wastin' my money on a Colt someday. Either way,,the overwhelming majority of gun men say a USFA is what a Colt always dreamed of being.

MD

RRio

True.

The grip frame on the 1st gen and 3rd Gen Colts are different.

The grip frame on a USFA is more in line with a 1st gen Colt.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

August

If you want a gun to make your ego feel good, then that's entirely your business and none of mine.  If you want a gun that functions well, then you probably are reading this thread to get the wisdom of others' experience.  My experience is that there is no comparison in fit, finish, function, accuracy, or durability between a Colt's and a USFA model P.  The USFA wins on all counts.  But, like I said, if a Colt's boat anchor makes you feel good, it's none of my business.

Appalachian Ed

I can say from my own personal experience because I own several newer Colts and a pair of USFA pre-wars that fit and finish on both are identical. Colt is turning out a top shelf product, and USFA is also. I have to say the factory action on the new Colts is probably better than on both my USFA guns, but they are close.

I find it funny many like to point out minor differences in the grip frame on the 3rd generation Colts as a strike against them, but a moment earlier wishing for USFA to make single actions in every modern rimless caliber they can think of. Which is it, do you want 100% authentic or not.

-Ed

Doc Sunrise

The greatest compliment USFA has in all of this is that Colt stood up and took notice and decided to work on improving their product.  That should be very satisfying to USFA.

Marshal Deadwood

Like the man said, it's everyones own money. I'd love to have my own money to buy a good 1st or 2gen Colt SAA.  I don't have them dollars, though it may well be a wonderful investment,,and certainly they are the Colts to be desired.
Beyond that,
and afterreading and reading others quality reports,, USFA SAA's seem to be the big dog to catch when it comes to quality and authenticy for a SAA.

MD

Virginia Gentleman

USFA is making some guns in rimless cartridges because Colt actually did it first.  .45 ACP roll marked guns, while rare, did come out of Colt in the early part of the last century and so did 9mmP.  Europeans even a few years ago could buy 9mmP SAAs from Colt that were mostly targeted at the German, French and Belgian market.  30 carbine was first done by Ruger and I think 380 ACP was also a special order from Colt at one time.  USFA isn't doing anything "revolutionary" by chambering their guns for rimless cartidges.  Personally, I like having my spare .45 ACP cylinders for all my SAA type guns as it lends a lot of versatility to them and making ammo procurement easier in an emergency situation-e.g. buying ammo at Wal-Mart if the need arose. ;D

RRio

NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: Rawhide Rio on March 04, 2009, 10:18:18 AM
So, where's the .357s, then?  ;)

That is a rimmed cartridge. ;D  Seriously though, I thought you could special order a 357?

RRio

Quote from: Virginia Gentleman on March 04, 2009, 02:29:14 PM
That is a rimmed cartridge. ;D  Seriously though, I thought you could special order a 357?

I hadn't heard that.

AJD

Just read on the coltforum that Colt is raising the wholesale price of the SAA by $300.  Distributor cost will now be $1173. How much will a new Colt SAA be after the distributor/dealer mark-up? $1300? $1400?

Just when Colt was starting to narrow the gap...in quality and price.

Looks like it will be back to the same status as 3-4 years ago...USFA as the clear choice.

My last USFA was $795 shipped with the extra CCH hammer btw. 

Fox Creek Kid

Quote from: AJD on March 06, 2009, 10:47:13 PM
Just read on the coltforum that Colt is raising the wholesale price of the SAA by $300...

I want more proof before I believe that. Did the person saying this have any concrete source for this?  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com