USFA v Colt again on SASS Wire.

Started by Deadeye Don, April 25, 2008, 06:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shieldsmt

I've had several 3rd Gen Colts and fired many others.  Some were nice guns, others were bordering on dismal.  Last Nov. I bought a USFA in 45 Colt from a guy on this site.  Wow, what a gun.  The Colt's could only hope to match this iron.  accurate right out of the box.  All the stuff you need to do to the Colt is pretty much covered for you, like it should be!  Only Colt that matched this USFA was a 3rd Gen in 45 Colt that Ed Janis went through, took a 357 cylinder and rebored it so the throats would be right, tuned the action, sighted it, did the forcing cone etc.  For what that work cost you could buy a couple Rodeos.  I've since bought my son a Rodeo, same thing, what a gun.  Go ahead and buy a Colt if you want.  If you want something to use, out of the box,a REAL first gen. style SAA..get a USFA.  Put the 3rd Gen Colt and the USFA side by side and look at them closely.  Look at their lines, the trigger guard etc.  They beat the new Colt like the pre-64 Winchester beat the "new and improved" stuff that followed.

Appalachian Ed

All USFA do not shoot point of aim out of the box. BOTH my pre-wars had to have the barrels turned, and I know others had the same done. USFA makes great stuff, but they are not the 2nd coming. I also had to send one back for timing issues.  A Colt can also have problems as well, they all can.

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Deadeye Don

I had to have my barrel turned on my 5.5 inch SAA premium also.  They turned it and test fired it sending me the target and the shell casing.   ;D   At the same time I had them put on some TruIvory grips. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Pettifogger

Every gun maker, regardless of brand, has made some good ones and some bad ones.  USFA and Colt both presently make fine revolvers.

Willie Dixon

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I think I can add something to this...
I'm a die-hard Colt fan, through and through.  I've been firing Government model 1911's and their variant customs since I was 5.  I joined the US Coast Guard at 18, couldn't qualify with the 9mm Baretta... got to my boat, I asked them about the 1911's, they said, "If you can shoot them, and carry two for round carrying capacity, and shoot with both hands, you're good to go!"  I did, I shot expert, both with right and left hands, with my 1911 colts that my cousin Willie gave me when I graduated from bootcamp, they were his Secret Service models.
Now on that note, I'm applying for local police departments, they all don't like the Colt 1911, why?  Single Action, hammer back on a loaded chamber, and only 7 rounds... well, Para-ordanance, a great 1911 manufacturer makes double stack 15 round double-action 1911s... problem solved. 
Is it a 1911, sure! Yes, Colt made them first, yes I love Colt, but as far as I'm concerned, they're all 1911's.  I love Kimbers, even though I like the return spring on my custom modded 1911's personally, two fingers on top and they slide right back!
I feel the same way with the Peacemaker... it's a Peacemaker.  I just can't buy a non-American product, found out about USFA who make accurate Peacemakers, and thank God for the Rodeo... problem solved.  I drive a 1989 Ford Bronco, 1993 Chevrolet Silverado lowered, and a 1969 El Camino.  I can't go Italian or Spanish on my guns, it'd be like driving a Honda Civic, great reliable car, but it's a Honda! 
As far as name... I don't care.  As long as they represent the good ol' USofA, I'm good to go.  Personally I'm praising and thanking USFA for their Rodeo line, for their custom capability, and their awesome customer service in helping me just dream of my buntline... he knew I wasn't ordering it yet, he didn't care either, just thought it'd be an awesome custom 1 run gun.
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Fox Creek Kid

Willie, two points:

1. Para Ordnance are made in Canada.

2. Para Ordnance are cast crap. Ask any big name 1911 'smith and they'll tell you the same.

Willie Dixon

hmm, canada huh?
whatev, colts are easy to mod, even para-ordanance, trust me on the 1911s.
I just need a 1911 that carries 10+ rounds of .45 ACP, tell me another gun that can?
besides mine are going to be strayer voight that started life as PO's so... not really PO's once they're done with them! LOL I just need the hi-cap.
funny, didn't know that about para-ordnance being from Canada, learn something new!
Quote from: Leo Tanner on January 06, 2009, 02:29:15 PM
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Doc Sunrise

Willie, it is true that Para is made in Canada.  I am a SIG guy when it comes to carry, and 8+1 in .45acp is enough to get the job done, for me.  However, great American made 1911's can be found in Kimbers or Wilson Combat, only naming a couple from many opf them.  If you are needing 10+1 capability, check out Wilson Combats KZ-45.  Here is a link.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_kz45.asp

RRio

This thread started about SAAs and has wound up talking about Para-Ordinance and others, that have nothing to do with CAS. Let's get back on track, or this thread will disappear.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Harley Starr

USFA and Colt. I love both and I always will. Now as much as I hate to fuel to this fire-well I'll just say it. True West magazine just released their Best Of The West edition for 2009 and voted Colt's Model P the best gun. I'm sure many of you will say otherwise, but here's how I look at it. Both are long term investments, but the USFA will step outside the case more than the Colt.
A work in progress.

Doc Sunrise

I happen to love both USFA and Colt as well.  Today, given a choice between the two in something of current manufacture, whether standard production or custom, I'll choose the USFA product each and every time.  That choice is based on my personal preference after personal experience and also observations made from some of the top gunsmiths in the country. When they need parts to repair a Colt 1st gen., they turn and get those parts from USFA.

AJD

I've had 4 Colt 3rd Gen SAA's made in the last year and 7 USFA SA's in the last 3 years.  Not all at once, buying and selling trying to figure what I wanted.  I now own two USFA guns.

Without a doubt USFA is hands down a better made, better looking, better shooting and just an all around better revolver than Colt.

I'm a Colt man, have a Python, 3 1911's and an LE6520 Ar15...even the Colt Kool Aid isn't strong enough to change my view and what is the BEST SAA made today and its United States Firearms all the way.

Harley Starr

Well I'm still saving up for my first US SAA, almost there. :D
My only complaint is that I wish the USFA's front sights were as sleek as the 3rd gen Colts, but that's just me.
A work in progress.

Doc Sunrise

The sights are of the wide type to help with quicker sight acquisition.  The front sight is a nice wide square blade to match the wide rear notch.  Many shooters would complain about the difficulty in using the narrow sights, and some liked them because the narrow blade could be bent to help with correcting a sighting problem.  The wider sights are also helpful for us older folks with eyes that are just not what they used to be.   

Blackpowder Burn

+1 Doc's comments.  I got my new USFA's a few months ago, and now I can see the sights!  It's a wonderful thing. ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Virginia Gentleman

USFA vs Colt 2nd and 3rd generation is no contest, the USFA looks, is fitted and shoots oceans better than the Colt.  I have Colts too, but they just don't measure up in quality or performance compared to the USFA.

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: Appalachian Ed on July 09, 2008, 11:19:11 AM
All USFA do not shoot point of aim out of the box. BOTH my pre-wars had to have the barrels turned, and I know others had the same done. USFA makes great stuff, but they are not the 2nd coming. I also had to send one back for timing issues.  A Colt can also have problems as well, they all can.

-Ed

They were mostlikely exceptions for USFA's quality rather than the rule, IME it is the exact opposite with Colt and then good luck trying to get customer service from the steel building in "West Hartford, CT."

Virginia Gentleman

Quote from: Sixgun Kilrain on December 28, 2008, 12:58:21 AM
USFA and Colt. I love both and I always will. Now as much as I hate to fuel to this fire-well I'll just say it. True West magazine just released their Best Of The West edition for 2009 and voted Colt's Model P the best gun. I'm sure many of you will say otherwise, but here's how I look at it. Both are long term investments, but the USFA will step outside the case more than the Colt.

I guess they took a long drink at the Colt-Kool Aid stand. LOL! ;D

RRio

Quote from: Virginia Gentleman on March 01, 2009, 01:26:31 AM
USFA vs Colt 2nd and 3rd generation is no contest, the USFA looks, is fitted and shoots oceans better than the Colt.  I have Colts too, but they just don't measure up in quality or performance compared to the USFA.

I hate to admit this, but I was looking at some new Colts on Friday, and I have to say they looked absolutely great, and would give the USFAs a run for their money on cosmetics. Of course they are about $300 more.

:-\
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Fox Creek Kid

Rawhide, were they the reintroduced Frontier Six Shooters? The two I bought were fantastic. I do believe that USFA scared Colt and Colt shaped up. Having a battle hardened Marine Corps general as your boss tends to shape people up.  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com