Bullets and Powder

Started by Colt Fanning, April 24, 2008, 12:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colt Fanning

Hi,

I have recently been shooting the Cast Precision .511 flat point with gas check bullet in my Spencer carbine.  It groups tighter than the hand cast from Tire weights bullets I have been using.  It comes with smokeless Lube which I scrape out and replace with SPG when I shoot with Pyrodex P. 

Also I have just tried a black powder substitute from American Pioneer Powder called Jim Shockleys Gold 3F.  It was formerly called Clean Shot.  I am Impressed with it as it does not generate the fouling typical of the other black powder and substitutes.  The manufacturer recommends smokeless lubricant be used instead of SPG. 

BTW the product number from Midway for the bullet is 853371.

Regards Pards
Colt

disney

http://www.chuckhawks.com/american_pioneer_powder.htm

Also American Pioneer Powder's web site doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Two Flints

Hi Colt Fanning,

Checked on your Midway bullet suggestion, "BTW the product number from Midway for the bullet is 853371".  But, it does not seem to come up when I do a # search on their web site.  Would you please give me a page link so I can post the photo and additional information on the "bullet".

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Colt Fanning

Hi,
That is strange I just entered that number on their web site in the keyword or product Id in all products
and it came right up.  It says in Master Cat #31 2008 the page number is 402.
I also verified that the APP web site is down.  Maybe I should go to my dealer and stock up.
Regards
Colt

Two Flints

Strange indeed ;D ;D ;D  I just entered the product number and the bullet came up!

Thanks,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

French Jack

If I am not mistaken, that is the same bullet design (except for gas check) that I obtained from Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technologies.  He makes two bullet nose designs, one called the Wide Flat Nose (WFN), and the Long Flat Nose (LFN).  Moulds are available from him if you wish to cast your own.  He does not have a web site, but his e-mail is:  LBTisaccuracy@imbris.net  ...Accuracy with either bullet design is excellent, and feeding is smooth in my Armi Sport Spencer.
French Jack

Two Flints

French Jack,

After your post I sent an Email to Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technologies and he responded with the following.  My Email to him is added on at the end of his response.

Two Flints,

Thanks for writing.
Yes, that looks exactly like my LFN, which it probably is.  If anyone wants to order a mold, the price is $125 for two cavity, $175 for 4 cavity, which would come back awful fast at $49 per 100 bullets!!  I've made a lot of these for spencers over the years and no one has ever complained about them not feeding.
Perhaps also of interest, when using pyrodex, and probably all the other black powder substitutes,  and especially if they say to use a smokeless powder bullet lube, our LBT Blue Soft lubricant cannot be beat.  But it isn't any good for black powder.  I believe the best lube for Black powder is any of the brands with the name Wonder Lube, which is a trade name, and all the brands made by the same company with the purchasers label on it.

With your 2 flint moniker, I suspect you've watched a lot more black powder smoke squirt out of gun barrels than I have though.  I've shot very little but am just handing on information about the lube that I have gleaned from thousands of customers.

Perhaps also of interest to you, is the fact that I make bullet molds for almost anything that goes bang, up to 8 bore, and precision fit them to the gun of interest, with is very critical when dealing with old guns.  Most weren't made to the closest tolerances in the world, and have changed a bit with use over many years.  Yet, most even with very bad looking bores will shoot great with one of my bullet fitted to whatever the gun dictates.  Some of them need a few lap shots using my lap kit, but only if the bore is cloudy or pitted.  Very few with clearly visible rifling most of the length need to be rebarreled and have their collector value ruined.
Veral

Two Flints wrote:

Hi Veral,

If you have the time would you please check out this thread that appears on the Spencer Shooting Society - http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,20291.0.html .  Your name was mentioned in one of the posts and the full post mentioning your name appears below.

"If I am not mistaken, that is the same bullet design (except for gas check) that I obtained from Veral Smith of Lead Bullet Technologies.  He makes two bullet nose designs, one called the Wide Flat Nose (WFN), and the Long Flat Nose (LFN).  Moulds are available from him if you wish to cast your own.  He does not have a web site, but his e-mail is:  LBTisaccuracy@imbris.net  ...Accuracy with either bullet design is excellent, and feeding is smooth in my Armi Sport Spencer".

I guess my question(s) is - is the bullet(s) you make similar or the same one being sold at Midway? And will both of your bullet designs WFN & LFN work OK in Spencer Carbines, original and reproduction models?

Thanks in anticipation of your reply,

Two Flints,  Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=35.0

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA