1860 Army cylinders

Started by Noz, April 21, 2008, 10:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

I've been shooting the 1860s a LOT. The notches in the cylinder are beginning to show battering from the abuse I've given them.
Is there a repair possible or just a new set of cylinders? I don't want them to quit me at an inopportune time.

Pettifogger

Are they Piettas of relatively recent manufacture?

Flint

I would expect that repairing the notches would cost more than a new cylinder.  Make sure your bolt timing is correct, as there shouldnt be a lot of damage to the notches if the bolt is properly shaped, sprung and timed....
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

hellgate

I noticed that the lead ins to the bolt notches on my Pietta were getting battered. I figured it is either due to a sharp edge on the bolt or a strong bolt spring. The gun runs well so I didn't bother to do anything about it lest I reshape something that suddenly doesn't work like it used to.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Noz

Pettifogger. Yes 3 years old or so.
Flint. One is timed perfectly and the lead is showing the battering. The other is slightly late and is catching the very edge of the notch. I looked at them more closely after making this post and the damage is minimal.
I think I can slow the timing a bit on the one gun and be good to go for a while.

Pettifogger

The Piettas have a bolt problem, but it has little or nothing to do with bolt timing.  I have written a multi-page article with 60 photos for the Cowboy Chronicle explaining the problem, how to repair the cylinder, and how to correct the problem so it doesn't happen again.  Should be out in a month or so.  Giving Tex part 2 of the article Wednesday at Buffalo Stampede.

Black Powder

Quote from: Pettifogger on April 21, 2008, 04:46:21 PM
The Piettas have a bolt problem, but it has little or nothing to do with bolt timing.  I have written a multi-page article with 60 photos for the Cowboy Chronicle explaining the problem, how to repair the cylinder, and how to correct the problem so it doesn't happen again.  Should be out in a month or so.  Giving Tex part 2 of the article Wednesday at Buffalo Stampede.

I'm looking forward to your article.  I too have the same issue which until this moment I figured I was stuck with until I had the luxury of being able to afford to do something about it.  Now, maybe not...

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Noz

Quote from: Pettifogger on April 21, 2008, 04:46:21 PM

Keep us posted. Please!

Fingers McGee

Good to hear about the upcoming article Pettifogger.  Looking forward to it's publication. 

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Dick Dastardly

Walt Kirst is makin' me up a pair of Kirst Konverter cylinders for my 60s.  He'll also be supplying a a couple of his ejectors.  I'm thinkn' that if they work out as well as the Kirst Konverters I've got for my ROAs, I'm just likely to sell the original C&B cylinders.  If that's the case, I'll entertain a fair price and shipping for 'em.

I'll know as soon as I've shot a match with the new cylinders.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com