Anybody try Wolf primers under BP?

Started by JL McGillicuddy, April 18, 2008, 12:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JL McGillicuddy

I was just wondering as I keep hearing about them being cheap and getting ok to good reports from shooters trying them.

I am currently loading Winchesters under my BP, but if the Wolfs work, they might give me a bigger powder fund to work with.

Thanks!
JLM

Pony Racer

Supposedly, wolfs primers have undergone significant changes in last 2-3 years - where now they are using more of a USA standard with components to the primers.

I have heard nothing but praise about recent Wolf primers in smokeless cartridges.

Have not heard anything from BP shooters

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Steel Horse Bailey

Considering that BP is easier to light off than smokeyless powder or Pyrodex, even - they OUGHT to work fine.  I wish I could say for sure, however - they don't seem to be around these parts that I've found. (Indy)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Howdy Doody

I have tried them and found no difference between them and the Federals I usually use. All went off fine.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Steel Horse Bailey

Have these Wolfs been around long enough to find out how hard they are and how the fit into the hardness chart?
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

John Barleycorn

Used them last match of 07 and first two of this year with no problems.
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Dick Dastardly

Where to get the best price on Wolf primers?

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

JL McGillicuddy

DD,

I have been seeing them for good prices at gunshows around here.  I may just have to buy some and try them out if they are available at the next show. 

Jack Lee

John Barleycorn

DD, powder valley had the for $19 a 1000 and $90 for 5000
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

stepnmud

Just ordered 5K Wolf's large pistol and will see how well they work. My revolvers work well with L.P Winchester,but rifle in 44WCF sometimes will not fire them Winchesters(one in 500) and OK with Federals.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com