Need a measurement.

Started by Forty Rod, April 18, 2008, 12:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

My '76 is at the smith getting some work done and I need to know the length in inches fron the heel of the butt to the front of the nose cap on a 26" barrelled rifle.  Designing me a rifle rack and want to get it right.

Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

dieselten

My Chapparal with 28" barrel is 48 7/8", so knock off 2" for your shorter barrel

Forty Rod

Thanks, but how long to the front of the nose cap?

;D
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

john boy

Rod - for a 28" rifle, the measurement from the heel of the buttstock to the magazine tube plug is 48 1/2" less 2" for the 26" barrel
46 1/2"

Gotta ask - what is so critical for a gun rack to have to know the distance to the magazine tube plug?
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

dieselten

Quote from: Forty Rod on April 18, 2008, 07:07:08 PM
Thanks, but how long to the front of the nose cap?

;D

If by nose cap you mean the forend cap, then mine is 32".

Pettifogger

Forty Rod

Now we're cookin'.  I need to know where to place the barrel rest on a vertical rifle rack.  All the barrels will be stickin' up willy-nilly, and I figered the forends would be different lengths, too.  I need to get the longest length accomodated.

Thanks to all you guys for your input.

john boy

Oh ... Ya mean - That nose cap! ;D
I'm guessing that the '76 distance is the same for any barrel length.  On a 28" barreled '76 - from the heel to the NOSE CAP is 32"
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Forty Rod

Turns out you're right within an inch or so.  There's a little variation, 'specially with clones.

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Forty Rod on April 19, 2008, 11:08:38 AM
Turns out you're right within an inch or so.  There's a little variation, 'specially with clones.

The forearm on the original 22 inch barrel  "short rifles" was one inch shorter than the standard.  Special order could be anything the customer wanted.  :)

Uberti puts the same length forearm on everything. ::)

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Forty Rod

But the receiver on the '76 is much longer than the others.  Should put the nose cap further from the butt.

Then, too, this rifle rack will be holding a Henry, '66, '73, '76, '86, '92, '94, and '95, made by Uberti, Chaparral, Winchester, Browning, and Rossi.

;D

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Forty Rod on April 19, 2008, 04:05:54 PM
But the receiver on the '76 is much longer than the others.  Should put the nose cap further from the butt.

Then, too, this rifle rack will be holding a Henry, '66, '73, '76, '86, '92, '94, and '95, made by Uberti, Chaparral, Winchester, Browning, and Rossi.

;D

I'd say you are levergun poor, 40Rod! ;D  Hmmmm.....maybe that's what you call a full house! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Forty Rod

Grizz, a few years I decided I wanted a rifle version of every lever rifle Winchester made before 1900.  I finally got one for myself at Christmas time ('76) and Santa Clause paid for an '86.  That filled out my full house.   :D

It doesn't mean much to anyone but me.  My gunsmith, Old Scout, is going through them to make sure each one is as close to flawless as possible.  So far the only two that are any problem are the Browning '86 (cartridge length sensitive...short chamber) and the Winchester '94 (Poor repair sometime in the past...needs a few parts.)

The rest are just rough and some have springs taken from a WWII Dodge Power Wagon.

Once I get this combination book case /rifle rack finished to match the book cases on the opposite wall, and a few more details in the den, I'll have my version of the "Man Cave" completed.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Grizzly Adams

Quote from: Forty Rod on April 20, 2008, 01:24:01 AM
Grizz, a few years I decided I wanted a rifle version of every lever rifle Winchester made before 1900.  I finally got one for myself at Christmas time ('76) and Santa Clause paid for an '86.  That filled out my full house.   :D

It doesn't mean much to anyone but me.  My gunsmith, Old Scout, is going through them to make sure each one is as close to flawless as possible.  So far the only two that are any problem are the Browning '86 (cartridge length sensitive...short chamber) and the Winchester '94 (Poor repair sometime in the past...needs a few parts.)

The rest are just rough and some have springs taken from a WWII Dodge Power Wagon.

Once I get this combination book case /rifle rack finished to match the book cases on the opposite wall, and a few more details in the den, I'll have my version of the "Man Cave" completed.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gotta tell ya, that sounds like a really fine deal.  Sounds like you have a first class Man Cave in the works!  It don't get no better! ;D

Post some pics when you can! ;)
GAF

Forty Rod

Thanks, Grizz.

I guess I'll have to break down and learn how to do that.  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com