Birds head Vaquero

Started by Wandering Man, April 13, 2008, 10:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wandering Man

I've never shot a birds head grip before.  I stumbled upon one about two hours north of here.  I wouldn't even consider it, except business will be taking me that way in a couple of days.

Would it be worth an extra $100 to get a Vaquero .357/.38 with the birds head grip?

Thanks.

WM
Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

Silver Creek Slim

IMHO, the birds head Vaquero is not worth any more than a regular Vaquero.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Wandering Man

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on April 14, 2008, 09:00:39 PM
IMHO, the birds head Vaquero is not worth any more than a regular Vaquero.

Slim

Thanks Slim.

The gun looks really cool, but holding it, the gun seemed to want to just kinda slide forward and down.  I didn't know if they were supposed to handle any better than the Vaquero with a standard grip.

WM

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Arcey

Gonna say Slim 'n Dave are correct in straight up value.

However.........

Myownself is a retired cop. My SASS character is an ex-city cop on a cross country adventure west. I carry a 7 ½" SAA clone 'n a 3 ½" birds head. They represent the uniform 'n plain clothes stages of my 'n the character's careers.

In my case the extra coin would have been worth it in style points. May not be what other folks are interested in.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Camille Eonich

Birds Head Vaqueros do shoot different than a aregular Vaquero.  Some like them but I think that more don't like them.  I loved mine.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Arcey

Just takes a l'il gettin' used to. I'm more likely ta miss with Shorty but it's my eyes 'n the sight radius, not the grip.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Leo Tanner

The question of rather or not it's worth the extra money all comes down to personal prefference.
     I paid 50 dollars more for a 13 year old Old Model Vaquero with plow handles than I could have for a brand new one at the same dealer.  Why?  Cause the old frame and grip worked better fer me.  This is kinda funny as one of the main changes made between the old and new model was a narrowing of the frame--due to customer response.  Most folks wanted a thinner grip.  I didn't like it, an so I plunked down the extra coin to get what felt right to me.  Heck, I didn't even get the case or any accessories that came with the other with mine, but again ta me it was worth it ;)

I'd try the birdsheads on fer size first.  You may find they fit like a glove and are just what you're looking fer--money well spent. Or on the other hand find that they just aint right.  I've never shot one before either so I'd definately be sure to give one a trial run.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Arcey

Here be's my 'matched' pair.

I have several others but by far those two make the trips.

Leo, when ya first handle 'em ya don't feel like your hand is full. After awhile it gets to feelin' normal. I don't half notice the difference anymore. Haven't in a long time now. I'm pretty sure I bought Shorty in '02.

Wandering Man

Quote from: Arcey on April 16, 2008, 02:59:30 PM

Leo, when ya first handle 'em ya don't feel like your hand is full. After awhile it gets to feelin' normal. I don't half notice the difference anymore. Haven't in a long time now. I'm pretty sure I bought Shorty in '02.

Nice looking guns.

WM

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Wandering Man on April 16, 2008, 04:20:15 PM
Nice looking guns.

WM

Shorty looks sweet, but that 7 1/2........Dang Arcey!  :o
     Whatta ya use ta keep the grips lookin that nice?  I got the same ones on my 5 1/2 but the woods perty dull and I don't like shootin with slippery hands.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Texas Lawdog

The Birdseye is more conceanable but my hands are too big for it to comfortable. The 38 probably would not move around i your hand very much. I'm thinkin that the 45LC would be a handful. I'm an ol cop also and I prefer the smaller size for concealment. I carry a Glock Model 23 in Plainclothes and either a 17 or 22 in Uniform.  Arcey, I just through building me a Model 17 for grins.  I bought a 3rd Gen. lower end and found a custom top half. It shoots pretty good. It's sorta a semi-bar-b-que gun.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Arcey

Thankee, boys.

The finish on the wood on both is whatever liquid plastic stuff Uberti sprays on 'em. Never changed 'em. Shorty is the only one checkered. No trouble handlin' either one.

Tex, I lug a 26 with extended floor plates on the mags 'n a 34 trigger in it. Have a 34 that's box stock for plinkin' 'n IDPA stuff. I keep tellin' myself I don't need a 19. Good luck with Frankenstein.

Leo Tanner

Ahh Uberti  :)

Shoulda caught the hidden screw grips right away.  They look nice, luv ta try one soon.
My dad's got the Cimmeron--it's great too.

Leo

Roland Deschain

collinsMS

I wouldn't part with my old frame Vaquero for nothing. On mine I didn't like the rose wood grips, just a little to fat. So I put a pair of buffalo horn grips on it and now it fits just perfect. 5.5 inch barrel and I can put a nice big 45 hole dead center of a standard target at 75 feet.

Trinity

Quote from: Arcey on April 16, 2008, 02:59:30 PM

Well, heck Arcey.  Kinda looks like my "matched" pair. ;D ;D

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Arcey

Does appear there's a family resemblance.............

Rube Burrows

I have a Ruger with the Birds Head grip. I dont have the biggest hands so im not that fond of it. There are prob. some new grips I could get to slim it up some but have not looked yet as I have so many other guns to carry. One day I will swap out the grips though.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

litl rooster

It's all in preference,  I bought mine for less than a new one, used.

Here my matched set

Mathew 5.9

Trinity

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com