Reloads for conversion cylinder. SAFE?

Started by Rebel, April 11, 2008, 04:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebel

Howdy all. I am waiting for my Pietta '58 Remmy to get back from Taylors from having an R&D cylinder fitted. In the mean time i have reloaded some ammo for it and wanted to see if any of you that load your own have any warnings for the loads i chose to use. I have loads with 7, 7 1/2, and 8 grs of Unique. 5, 5 1/2, and 6 grs of Bullseye. 5 grs of Red Dot. 7 grs of Green Dot, and 38 grs equiv. plus a lubed felt wad, of Pyrodex P. All of these with a 200 gr. lead bullet, Hornady, brass, and CCI #300 primers. So what ya think. Any advice appreciated as this is my first time reloading for the Colt .45. I do have prior experience reloading other calibers.

Justice Johnson

4 slugs from a 44 no less, no more

Rebel

Thanks. I got the revolver back from Taylors today with the new conversion cylinder fitted so i went out and put  92 rds through it, and i must say Tom did a great job on it. Lines up perfect and locks up tight. I  put 92 rds through it, 80 of which were smokeless loads and not a problem. No fouling build up and no leading in the barrel until the last 12 rds which were the Pyrodex loads. I am shooting 200 gr home cast semi wadcutters in it. A couple of the smokeless loads show some real accuracy potential. The most recoil i had was from the loads with Pyrodex P, but they shot pretty accurate too. All and all i think i am really going to like this conversion cylinder a lot.

Skinny Preacher 66418

Quote from: Rebel on April 15, 2008, 11:27:39 PM
Thanks. I got the revolver back from Taylors today with the new conversion cylinder fitted so i went out and put  92 rds through it, and i must say Tom did a great job on it. Lines up perfect and locks up tight. I  put 92 rds through it, 80 of which were smokeless loads and not a problem. No fouling build up and no leading in the barrel until the last 12 rds which were the Pyrodex loads. I am shooting 200 gr home cast semi wadcutters in it. A couple of the smokeless loads show some real accuracy potential. The most recoil i had was from the loads with Pyrodex P, but they shot pretty accurate too. All and all i think i am really going to like this conversion cylinder a lot.

I like my 58 Conversion as much as I like my '75, and more than any '73 colt
Smoke em if ya got em.

Deadeye Don

I have had good service from Tom at Taylors on 2 occasions.  He know his stuff and is only too glad to help solve a problem.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

SFT

5 grains of Trailboss under a 200 grain bullet is an accurate but mild recoiling load I use.
Of all the things I've lost over the years, it's my mind that I miss the most!
SASS# 35973, BOLD #557, Tejas Caballeros, Texican Rangers and TSRA

will52100

For my 73 clone I normaly use 38 grains of black powder and a 250 grain biglube PRS bullet.  For smokless I normaly use a FNRP 250 grain bullet with 8 grains of Unique.  Would either of these loads be to hot for a Uberti 58 and R&D conversion cylinder?  I realise the BP loading may be a bit hard on my hand if nothing else.

The reason I ask is that I've got a 5 1/2" 58 Uberti Remmy and R&D conversion cylinder ordered.  I may have to get a 200 grain mould.  Even if the load is safe my hand may not like the heavy load with the remmy's grip.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy, Rebel!  (Johnny Yuma?)

You should be fine if you stick to PUBLISHED loads at Black Powder levels.  (Like Tombstone linked ya to.)  As long as you DON'T use the loads specially marked "for Rugers, North Americans and Contenders ONLY!"

Or - just stick to yer Pyrodex load or the same load of BP or the other subs, like APP, etc.  More fun in the LONG Run, what with all the smoke an' fire!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Save them smokeyless loads fer when ya shoot at an indoor range where they take a dim view of BP thanks to the EPA!  ::)  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com