UMC shotgun shells.

Started by Noz, April 11, 2008, 09:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

I have a chance to buy some 12 ga brass UMC shells.
I have experience with the Magtechs.

I am assuming that the UMCs will require the 209 primer?

Will they also accept standard 12 ga wads or must I go a step higher as with the Magtechs?

Pettifogger

Most of the brass UMC shells use large rifle primers.  They are also usually thicker than the more recent imported brass shells.  Good hulls if you can get a bunch of them.

Mako

Nozzlerag,
Pettifogger is right they use either large pistol or rifle primers if they are the original UMC shells.
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Steel Horse Bailey

Nozzie Rag:

Here's another suggestion:  Circle Fly Wads   KNOWS brass shells.  Call them and they will steer you in the right direction - whether you buy from them or not.  (I WOULD - good prices, great service)  They'll probably tell you to get 11 ga. for over-powder and spacer wads, and 10 ga. over-shot wads.  There are all kinds of good solutions to seal the over-shot wads:  I've used: nothing, wax, Elmer's, Elmer's wood glue, Sodium Silicate/"Waterglass" available at Tractor Supply as a horse health product, and Duco.  I like Sod. Sil./Waterglass best - I have a quart,  ;) but any of the water-based glues will dissolve when you plop your fired shells in water after firing.  One bad thing about the glue; being water-based, it WILL eventually dry up and begin to crack.  (I found a box I'd loaded a year before - I simply added some more waterglass and it was fine.)  Besides, by using a 10 ga. over-shot wad it'll probably keep the shot in place WITHOUT the glue, unless you use a heavy charge, which CAN loosen the wad and allow the embarrassing spectacle of shot dribbling out the end of your barrel after the first shot!  NO - I have only heard about it.  :D  I didn't use anything on my first box of 25 and had no "leaks."  My load is a "square" load: 1 0z/Vol of 2 or 3f and the same volume of shot.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com