TTN question

Started by Roosterpoop, April 09, 2008, 01:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roosterpoop

Howdy folks,
I have a TTN that I have worked on and it opens and closes smooth.  However occasionally after firing both barrels it will start to open and then hang up.  Does not seem to do it if I fire one shot and reload.  It hangs up just before the shells completely clear the breachplate. Then it will go ahead and open.  I can't find the problem.  It does not appear to be the shell casings dragging.  Any help out there?  I think it is in the hinge but I do not understand why.
Thanks Y'all

Coffinmaker

Without gun in hand to watch what happens, no clue.

Coffinmaker

Irish Dave

Is it possible that the firing pins are protruding just a smidge and hanging it up until the barrels cam the pins back in?

I've had a couple of original period shotguns do that on occasion.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Roosterpoop

I know it is tough to diagnose with out gun in hand.  Just thought it might be a common problem. 
Thanks

boot strap jack

If the gun opens enough to see the firing pins have retracted, then the problem is something binding in the cocking of the internal hammers if so equiped. I have not seen the inside of a tnn double.

Roosterpoop

I finally pulled my head out and took a closer look at what was happening.  When I fire both shells before opening the action I have twice the force needed for the extractor to operate than if I fire one shell.  OK I poslished the chambers till you can see yourself.  They no longer hang up but they will not just fall out like the ones I see in some of the videos.  How do you get it to where the hulls fall out when the gun is shook to the the rear?

Four-Eyed Buck

What brand hulls are you using? Also within the brand, what type or name?..........Buck 8) ???
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Roosterpoop

The only thing I have shot through it, and not for CAS, are Winchester Super X factory loads.  I am going to quess that possibly the CAS loads are not a hot and do not expand the brass at all. Right?

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

How Do Roosterpoop

I have a TTN SXS also , but i don't have the problems you seem to be having, you might want to call Walter Johnson and see if he can help you on this. you said you polished the chambers, i don't know how you did this but i use the Flex Hone from Brownells , it works like a champ, check this web site for info. This is the last info on Walt Johnson, owner of ttn sales that i have, hope this will help you.

Walter Johnson
TTN International, Inc.
23192 Alcade Suite #1
Laguna Hills, Ca. 92653
PH#( 949 ) 707-1718
Fax# ( 949 ) 707-1806

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=flex%20hone&ps=10&si=True
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Whiskey Hayes

Rooster

Not familiar with the Winchester Super X load.  Is the hull ribbed?  If it is this is probably the problem.  The ribs allow the plastic to expand and bind in the chamber.  I have a TTN that AA and STS hulls will fly out of the chamber but not the ribbed hulls.  Don't even try to polish the chambers to make them work, this only makes the problem worse.

A good way to polish the chamber is with a Scotch Brite pad wrapped around a cleaning brush chucked in a drill.  Wrap one layer around the brush and cut off the excess.  Run medium speed for 30 seconds in each chamber until a fired AA or STS will fall out.  You can pick up the Scotch Brite pads at Kroger's.  They are green in color and can be cut with scissors.  Be careful not to polish out the chamber rim the hull head spaces on.  Remove the extractor while you are polishing the chambers.

WH

Four-Eyed Buck

That's why I asked, Rooster. The AA's or STS Rem's should come out very easily as they are quite smooth, also they have low brass..............Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Silver_Rings

I use the "Estate" brand target shells and they fall right out.  I get mine at Sportsman warehouse.  They are fairly cheap.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Sgt. Jake

I load my own and use remington STS hulls,never had problem one. Let a pard of mine try it out,he brought along two boxes of remington game loads,they fell right out when the barrels were elevated slightly.      Adios  Sgt. Jake

Roosterpoop

I have recieved a bunch of input here.  Yep my hulls are ribbed so that may be the problem.  Both high and low brass have the same problem.  I polished the chambers with a felt bob and buffing compound in a Dremel tool.  I will try some different shells and see what happens.
Thanks

Roosterpoop

Problem solved...............I tried some Remingtons with smooth hulls and they fell right out.  Who would have thought?

Dalton Masterson

Mine has had the same problem of sticking on opening. Its always been in a match, so havent had the time to diagnose the issue, just closed and reopened the barrels with no problem. Has done it maybe 3-4 times in the last 6 mos.
Mine is bone stock, and drops AA and STS with no problem. The ribbed hulls I gotta pull out. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com