Authentic finish for grips?

Started by Deadeye Don, April 03, 2008, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye Don

Ok so what is the most historically correct finish for the 1875 Remington grips?  I know they come from Uberti with that high gloss sheen.  Some pards swap them out and some take off the gloss finish.  I want to do something with my grips, but I am not sure what to do at this point.   Regards, Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

St. George

Walnut grips of the time were oil-stained for color and varnished.

You can strip the Italian glossy finish - oil-stain and bring to a 'real' finish by using 'Tru-Oil' or 'Lin-Speed' - or even  'Tung' oils, and following the instructions.

It'll give you a very nicely understated pair of grips with a sheen, but not the 'Clear-Coat' look.

Should you opt for one the different faux 'Ivory' types - remember - real Ivory takes time to age and mellow, since sunlight and dirt and oils all play their part, albeit slowly.

The 'antiqued' finishes offered look good - but only on well-worn revolvers, whereas, the lighter-color grips would be commensurate in age with a revolver in newer condition.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Buffalow Red

i sanded my down & put several coats of linsead oil & i like it looks old
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

Major 2

of the three.... 'Tru-Oil' - 'Lin-Speed' -  'Tung' oils,

which will be the clearest , as in no stain quality at all ?
I just carved some Am. Holly grips , although, I have refinished many Walnut grips... this time I'm looking for the white Ivory look without a clearcoat shine.
when planets align...do the deal !

St. George

Remember - 'any' oil will darken the wood, somewhat - run a little water over the grips, and you'll see what I mean.

Of the three - 'maybe' Tung Oil is what you want - but the other two aren't going to overly-darken the Holly.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Major 2

Thanks...I've used Tru-oil but on stained or dark wood ( in fact I used Tru-oil to refinish the OEM grips)

this is the first attemp with Holly so I want to seal it .. I think Homer Formby's make Tung Oil , I'll get some and test it on my scraps....
when planets align...do the deal !

Tommy tornado

Hoof-hearted stripped my grips and then finished them with a little Tandy's Meduim Brown leather die.  They look great.  I rub a little balistol on them every now and then.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com