Just got my new 1875 home

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, April 01, 2008, 09:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  ;D ;D ;D

Will after listening to all you pards about how great the Remington revolvers were , I bought an 1875 in 45 long Colt, with a 7 1/2" barrel, I just picked it up today, you pards were right their is a lot more heft to them than the Colt SAA, but it's nice , and seems to balance real well in the hand, I checked it out for timming when I got home with a Range Rod in 45 caliber, and the timming was perfect, I then checked the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone , and it was .006, which will be fine for either BP, or smokeless. Checking the rest of the gun over, I found it to be ferfect except for the left grip panel, it's stands a little proud on the top back strap, which is no big deal , I can fix this with no problem. The sites will take some getting used too but I can see where they could be very accurate, there almost like a rifle site, I should be able to hit some small targets with this one, I had them put the reduced hammer spring in it and this does make a difference, and Steel Horse Bailey you're right about the grip being nice for pards with large hands, it does feel nice , there is no cramping of the fingers, I haven't shot it yet , but i can see their is going to be another love in my life , but like they say love makes the world go around. ??? ::) :o ;D

So thanks all you REMMY Pards for the information, and sparking an interest in me  :D ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Curley Cole

Congrats,

But where are the pictures????

Old Top and I took my dentist with us to a gun show this weekend, his Roogers were in the shop so I let him wear my Will Ghormley Jessie rig and my pair of Remmies for the day. When we got home he had me call EMF and order him a pair....
so we have a new convert...

but we need some pictures pard..

Curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Old Top

Ten Wolves,

When you take the grips off to fix that little high spot, use some paint remover and get rid of the red stain on the grips they normally have some nice wood under there.  Made a world of difference on the looks of my two.  Let us know when you can try that Remmy out and play with us.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Curley Joe & Old Top  :D

Yea buddy, this is a nice revolver, I'll get a picture and post it soon , I just know your dentist is hooked, it doesn't take much, when it comes to these old western guns, I'm going to have to make me a Jesse James rig, for my 75, I think I might have enough leather for two holsters, I just finishing two Dodge City Holsters right now , I can see a second 75 coming up,

Old Top I'm kinda taken with the finish on these grips, they did a beauitful job, I've seen some of the 58's that would have left me no choice but to have refinished them, but these look real good , I just need to get  a couple of high spots removed and we'll see how she shoots , these high spots are annoying, so I'll fix them first before I take it out to shoot. I like these sites, they won't be as fast to find my target but I think I'll be able to see smaller targets, if that makes any since. I still have you pards in mine, one of these shoots I'll try to make it down there, and thanks for the invite  ;) :D

Take Care Pards  ;) :D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Curley Cole

Gkad you ar happy with yer new toy

One thing to do if you do like the color of the grips, take a q-tip and get the varnish off the grip  screws and washers, it makes a real difference just that little bit in the appearance.

looking foward to seeing pix, and it was my Jessie James rig that helped sell Doc on my guns..

good shootin
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Back at ya Curley

Those Jesse James rigs would win anybody over, their so nice looking. I had the gun semi-apart and degreased it and reoiled it with Gun Butter today, and I took the couple of high spots off the top of the grips, and I'm touching them up now, I should have them back on the gun by Saturday. you say you took the finish off your gun , and refinished them , if you have any pictures , i'd sure like to see them in the natural color, mine look so good now , but if they would look better in the natural I might just do it.

Take Care Curley Cole  :D

Curley Cole

Howdy

No, they came as "antiqued", and they just didn't quite look right so I took some semichrome polish and hit it for a little shine here and there. It gave the appearance you see in this pix. This was the first one I got. Mine are consecutive serial numbers. This is a pretty good shot of the rig too...The second pix is with the poly ivory grips I got for Sunday BBQ
also what I did with the grips was to take off the varnish on the screws.
enjoy the finish for a while before you mess with it...just my suggestion..
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Curley Cole on April 03, 2008, 01:27:09 AM

Howdy

No, they came as "antiqued", and they just didn't quite look right so I took some semichrome polish and hit it for a little shine here and there. It gave the appearance you see in this pix. This was the first one I got. Mine are consecutive serial numbers. This is a pretty good shot of the rig too...The second pix is with the poly ivory grips I got for Sunday BBQ
also what I did with the grips was to take off the varnish on the screws.
enjoy the finish for a while before you mess with it...just my suggestion..
curley

Very nicely done.  Where did you buy the ivory grips from and did they fit pretty good out of the package or did you have to do some fitting?
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Steel Horse Bailey

10 Wolfers - I KNEW you'd be happy!  Those grips DO fit good in large hands, but they also fit purty good in MY not-so-large mitts, too!  ;)

Curley -REEEAAAALLLL nice!  Those "Ivories" are the purrrrfect color in my book; not spankin' new white, but not orange, either! (With apologies to the Late, GREAT John Wayne.)

And that Will-made leather is right smart lookin', too.

Jeff - SHB
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Curley Cole  ;D

Man , your guns and gun leather are nice, I thought I caught one of your post , where you said you got the poly ivory grips from Western Wonders and wildlife, is this the place ? they sure do look nice , and I think you said they cost around $40.00, just might put a pair of them bad boys on mine, looking at your leather I think I'm going to attempt, to make this rig, of course it won't be as nice as what Will made you, but not being a pro , I'll give it my best SHOT, don't ya know. With the grips , I think I'll just leave them the way they are for now , their real purty, the grips you redid came out real nice, and I like that satin finish. Talk to ya later Curley,  ;D

Howdy Steel Horse Bailey  :D

Yea I think I'm going to like this gun, it's going to take some getting used too but I do like it, I don't think it's as fast handleing as the Colt SAA, but it deffenitly has it's own merrits, I think I just like GUNS , I don't have any gun that I made a choice to have that I don't like, some a little better that others, for instance I always thought my 1894, was the sweetest gun their was , and now I have an 1873 and a 1892 , and I LOOOOVES ALL of them, I've learned to keep an open mine to things. Talk to ya later Steel Horse Bailey.  :D ;D

And Howdy to you to Deadeye Don  ;D

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

Steel Horse Bailey

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

This is about Me ONLY; not you or anyone else, BUT...

I don't see ANY handling advantage with Colts ... I'm just as slow with my Colts as I am with my Remingtons!  :o ::) ;D  Heck - when I shoot, they time me with a sundial!

Later, Gater!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Curley Cole

Yup, them grips are from Western Wonders and Wildlife, they have a couple of color options, and that is the light antique..perfect I think. and as for fitting, In that picture there was no fitting done, I stuck them on for the photo op, so they are very close to perfect, maybe a light sanding here and there. and yup they was $40 a pair

You know Will offers patterns for his rigs, ifn you wanted to have a jump start on his work. But, your work is darn good, and probably can do it with out a pattern..I really want to see the progress and end result..

Thanks to all for the good words..

Curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

hOWDY Curley  ;D

Thanks for the information Pard, I'm going to check out those grips , and I have Wills pattern for the Jesse James rig , just need to make some templates of it and then I can get started. Thanks for your kind words on my leather work.

Take Care Pard, talk to you later  ;) :D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents  :D

Well I finished the grips , and I decided to reduce the gloss on them , I used Arrow oil and 500 wet dry papper, and worked them over real well, now they have a nice satin finish on them, and they grip better, I never did have a problem with the color, so I didn't strip it off , with Arrow you don't have to remove the old finish, you just work over it. I just finished a couple of Dodge City Holsters , so here's one with my gun,

Thanks for taking a look  :D

Curley Cole

10W

Them is really sweet. The grips look great, And those holsters are SUNDAY BEST....You done real good. I wish I could still do some leather work. I did a little a few years ago, but with the way the arthritis is comin on I just can't do it. I really envy you...
Dang fine lookin'

My Dentist just called and he just registered the first of his pair he ordered, so as soon as he gets them we will post a couple of pix.

Old Top's computer attempted suicide last nite, so he won't be able to look at yer work for a couple of days, and he was gonna send me a pix of his guns to post, so that will have to wait also...

once again dang fine lookin rig...
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Thanks Curley Cole  :D

Sorry to hear about the arthritis Pard, I started doing leather, because I broke my wrist and pulled two of my arm mussels off my shoulder , and after having surgery, I knew I was in trouble , but thanks to Cowboy WC , he sugested that I get started in leather as a therapy thing, to help get my fingers to work again , I'm left handed and thats the hand and arm that got busted up , so I've come a long ways to get to where I am today , and working with leather has helped me both physically and mentally. Curley, try taking a 1,000 mg. of Fish Oil,  three times a day with your meals, it will deffinitly help with the arthritis pard, I was in the meat bussiness, for 45 years, and I swear by it, it will also help in lowering your colestrol and triglisrides. I've been taking this stuff for over 30 years now , ever since I found out what it would do for me. Ask your Dr.
          It sounds like your Dentist is going to be one of the boys, to bad he cant call himself Doc Holliday. I'll bet he can hardly wait to get his guns.  8)
          I 'm sorry to hear Old Top is having trouble with the old confuzzer, I hope he can get it fixed, I look forward to seeing those pictures. :D 8)

Thanks again for your comments Pard, and take care of yourself and I'll talk to you later. ;) :D

Steel Horse Bailey

Zehn Wolf Funfschiessen,  ausgezeichnet!

I'm practically speechless - and for me, that's a mouthful!  ;D

Your leather work is superb and really shows off your new "toy" !!!

Cool spurs, too. 

Jeff - Steal Hoarse  ;)

PS - nice job on the grips too also.  :D

Curley Cole

Thanks for the advice, I do take fishoil and also take Glucosomine/condrotrin (and like my granma used to say, don't know what i would feel like ifn I didn't take it...

It also gets in the way of the guitar playin'. I take my pain meds and continue on as best as I can. Old Top has been real instrumental in keepin me movin, motivated and generally moblie.

My dentist wanted the alais Denver Doc (he even had it engraved into his gun cart before he found out it was already taken)

Anyways once again the rig looks great, tell us how you like shootin that long tom....

talk more soon..
curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Gents

Thanks for the flowers Steel Horse Bailey  :D ;D

Curley I'm glad to hear you've been takeing the fish oil , and the Glucosomine/ Conrotrin, this is going to help pard, if you have pain now , it would be much worse without this stuff, you say you play guitar, thats great , I've played since I was 12 years old, it's a small world pard , I had just bought a new American made Fender Straticaster, and a Line-6 Lux-3 amp with pedel control, three months before I had my accident, and I haven't been able to play it sence, but I have High hopes of getting it on once again, I just have to be patience.  ??? :o 8) :D

Take care Pards  :D

Curley Cole

Ya I have "noodled" since freshman in hi school, my goal was to learn to play good when I retired..oops..that aint gonna happen. I have acoustic stuff. a 1970 Yamaki , 1980 Sigma, a Taka Jasmine 12 string,  and a couple of cheap beaters...My wife's ex and brother in law are  professional musicians, so that is a bit intimating, but I play enough to get by. On my web page (sdough.smug,ug.com) there are a few pix of the players and me with my 12 string.

Me and Old Top were in a little "Junque band" very briefly in highschool...guitars, washboard, washtub bass. (I could crank on that) our one and only performance was a church party and one of the songs was Michael Row the Boat Ashore....at the whistleing part we had to face away from each other or we would crack up  We worked on a name and were thinking of "The Undecided Conflict"...(It waz the 60's ya know..)

yup is a small world...and think I may look for that oil you were talking about..

Curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com