Remington New Army- An Original

Started by Marshal John Lawless, March 25, 2008, 07:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal John Lawless

The small shop where I get my FFL transfers done has a Remington New Army in the case. It looks to be in real good shape with a nice overall patina. Didn't get to take it apart as the clerk was nervous about me handling such an old gun. I'll go back when the owner is there to really look it over including down the bore.

What do I need to look for when valuing an old Remington, or any original cowboy gun? The screws looked to be in good shape, the address on the barrel was legible even though a little worn, and there was no rust or pitting on the outside. Seems like the gun is very good to fine in the NRA rating system.

He's asking $1200. Seems a little high but I guess I need to check with a reference. I think the bookstore around the corner has Flayderman's book. Is there a better choice?

How do those of you who collect put a value on an old gun you may want to buy? Thanks.

Lawless

Wolfgang

gave ya an answer over on SASS just now.  check out all the on line gun actions and places that hadle collectable old pistols.  $ 1200 sounds pretty good to me.  The ones I see at 800 - 100 area are always pretty damn rough. How are the grips on it ? . .

Good shootin', . . .  :)
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Marshal John Lawless

Grips are pretty good looking, no chips or cracks. Just checked a few sites that had photos of pistols with lots of pitting on the outside. The more I'm researchin', the better this one is starting to look.

Thanks Wolfgang.

Lawless

Skinny Preacher 66418

Be sure to research the markings and make sure they are present. People make fake oldies to trick the unknowledgeable buyer.
Smoke em if ya got em.

Marshal John Lawless

Quote from: Skinny Preacher 66418 on March 26, 2008, 12:35:51 PM
Be sure to research the markings and make sure they are present. People make fake oldies to trick the unknowledgeable buyer.

SP, can you steer me to a reference on Remington markings?

Lawless

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com