I am going to be a Gamer at the May 2 Gun shoot in Garnett...

Started by Major Matt Lewis, March 23, 2008, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Matt Lewis

I got me a new (very slightly used) Pedersoli Trapdoor 45-70 Carbine and I am going to use it in the main match.  So all you folks with lever actions, look out, I am going to speed past you.... ;)

I think them lever actions are just a passing fad....Anyway, looking forward to it...who's going to be there?
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

River City John

I'm going to be a combination of a Vendor for the Trade Days and am planning on using my rolling block carbine as my main match rifle.

Don't forget to come up with an entertainment routine for the Talent Night on Saturday.
Entry is in the mail.

Pray for a dry spell. ;D
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Major Matt Lewis

Unfortunately I will miss my favorite part of the weekend....Campfire Activities on Saturday night because my wife has to work every Friday and Saturday night and I have the kids so I will need to be home watching my 3 little bandits.  I hope to get there in time for some Chuck Wagon Breakfast on Saturday or Sunday though....

What are you going to be vending?  I know I want to get a watch or a watch chain from Frog, probably just a chain as I still have the watch I bought from him last time, but it doesn't work so well any more.....

If you have something good, maybe we could wheel and deal....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

River City John

Why everything I offer for sale is nothing short of a national treasure, you know that.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Major Matt Lewis

Major Matt Lewis

Rowdy Fulcher

Major Matt
Got a Trap Door carbine and I sure would like to come shoot with yawl . Sounds like a road Trip to me .

Major Matt Lewis

Rowdy,

I would love to have you come out for some Kansas hospitality.....Griz puts on a fun shoot.  If you are coming, I will do what I can to find baby sitter to watch the kids so I can stay in Garnett around the campfire.  Heck, I am going to do that anyway, because I really like the campfire activities after the guns are put up.  The problem is finding a babysitter that is old enough to stay overnight, who the wife and I are both comfortable with.....

You have a trapdoor too?  Cool.  What kind of load do you use as I need to find a good load that will put rounds accurately down range but won't stress the action of the trapdoor....

I used my USFA Government Inspectors model today and think that the 250 grain bullets I was shooting in it are too hot.  The rounds had a tendancy to sail high, so I will try to come up with something more mellow or run some 45 Schofield through it or something...I don't know.

But, I will figure something out.
Major Matt Lewis

Dr. Bob

Maj. Matt

I think that you finally went over the EDGE!  [Man on the edge?]  But, you will have a ton of fun and that's what is all about! ;D ;D

Rowdy,

We'd love to have you.  Hotel is just over a mile from the firing line! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Matt;  I have NO experience with the trapdoor.  I did try the 454424 pistol bullet  (+- 265 gr as cast in W-W) in my .45-70 BLR SRC.  Didn't go anywhere near the Gould or the 457193.  Before giving up, try a heavier bullet, and maybe a medium charge.  Maybe try something like the old carbine load?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

French Jack

MM-- to get your pistol to shoot lower, you need to use lighter weight bullets and/or more velocity.  Slower, heavier loads tend to print high from a handgun.
French Jack

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Hi! Jack!  We're seekin' advice on a Trapdoor Carbine here.  Not a Pistol.  Leastwize, I dodn't thin' itsa sawdoff like dem barkeep guns dose sassy guys luv?

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

French Jack

Sir Charles-- he mentioned his USFA and how it was doing-- I simply addressed that-- You seemed to have the 45-70 part under control..
French Jack

Rowdy Fulcher

Major Matt
Good to hear from you . My trapdoor is made by H&R the cheesy rear sight was removed and was replaced with an original 1879 carbine sight . As far as loads I have shot several smokeless ( imr 3031 , reloader 7 , imr 4198 ) these all work good with a cast 405 gr. bullet remember the carbine if loaded very heavy will KICK YOUR TEETH out so try to keep in the 1300 to 1400 FPS any thing over that starts to get rough .When I load BPC I load about 60 gr.and that works for me .
Well hope to see you in May , No promises  , if I make it can we sleep on the range ?? sorry all I have is a cheesy Wa l-  mart tent .

Books OToole

Quote from: Rowdy Fulcher on March 24, 2008, 06:38:04 PM
if I make it can we sleep on the range ?? sorry all I have is a cheesy Wa l-  mart tent .

The primitive camping is adjacent to the range.  Modern is about 150 yards away, behind a stand of sumac.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Trap

Rowdy , You get there ...we'll find you a place to sleep (under cover).
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Dr. Bob

Rowdy,

I have an extra tent or two that you can use.  Right up by the range! ;D  Let me know how many you need to sleep.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Grizzle Bear

I was planning on using my Spencer at the Two-Gun, but it looks like we might have a bunch of single-shots.  I even have some carbine loads made up, 60g FFg under a 405g bullet.

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Tjackstephens

Major Matt, hello pard good to see you are still up and kicking. My USFA NCOWS revolver shoots 250 grainers a little high. It is dead on with the 200 grainers though. French Jack is correct on the point of aim. Boy wish I could come shoot with you all, don't see how though. But will see you at the National. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

River City John

Do we have a round count?
I'm reloading this weekend for the 2-Gun. I figure 125 .45lc with BP for the carbine should be about right, but if there's going to be a lot of reloads I can prep and load more.
I plan to use cap 'n' ball for my revolver(s) if the weather looks like it may co-operate, but just in case it's going to be rain I'll load up some BP revolver cartridges.
RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Major Matt Lewis

Looks like I may be able to stay and camp....Can't wait.
Major Matt Lewis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com