FFFG ok for 50-90 Sharps?

Started by Eric F, March 18, 2008, 04:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric F

Ok I am all set to start reloading the BIG FIFTY so I go to the store and was going to buy some goex FFG and a sales man I know said Hey I've been looking for you for a few weeks now he gives me a box with about 15 pounds of various powders and more importantly 6 pounds of older but unpoened goex FFFG.  I know it is suposed to be a pistol powder but I do not have any pistols.  I have just the 50-90 So will I be ok to use the FFFG?

Cuts Crooked

Quote from: Eric F on March 18, 2008, 04:22:56 PM
I have just the 50-90 So will I be ok to use the FFFG?
You can use it.......but it might pretty much suck! Give it a try, ya never know, but expect to get the bejesus kicked outta yerself. And ya might git a goodly bit of coking up in the bore ???
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Dick Dastardly

I'd try the FFFg, but I'd also have some FFg loads and I'd want to run a parallel test.  The FFFg is quicker and traditionally is used in bores smaller than or equal to .45 Caliber.  However, each gun is an individual unto it's own.  You may just find that FFFg is great in your big 50.  Chances are though, it will only beat you up and give disappointing accuracy.  One thing that might make a small difference is if you try using large pistol primers instead of rifle primers.  I'm not sure why, but they seem to make a more calm load.  The combination might be just the ticket.

Long range BPCR shooting is about experimentation.  Experiment, take notes, report back.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Fox Creek Kid

Your best luck would be with Fg in that cartridge and you'll remember these words when you uncurl from the fetal postion after shooting FFFg in the 50-90 and wiping the tears from your eyes.  ;D

Flinch Morningwood

I think it's Swiss that makes a 1.5 F powder which is what was recommended to me...I bought a can but, as I mentioned in another post, I am still working a load for my 45-100...
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Eric F

I will try the fffg and then some ffg and a few with half fffg and half ffg and get back to you folks in a few weeks I am still waiting on a couple of things I forgot about.

James Hunt

I second FCK suggestion of 1f goex. I use it in my .45-110 and it seems to burn a bit cleaner for reasons I don't understand, can't really tell a difference regarding recoil. I think that once you get into huge amounts of BP in large bores, 1f works pretty nicely. So, did you get any cannon powder in that box?
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Eric F

No cannon powder however I was just looking at a place that sells powder by the 5 pound order so I was going to get a variety to try also.  Cannon was an option, and I did at one time load 45-70 with cannon powder and it provided the best accuracy out of everything I tried at the time. 

Mostly what I got was a bunch of diffrent smokeless powders

Fox Creek Kid

All BP cartridges that hold more than 70 gr. BP seem to inherently shoot Fg better and that is what the original Sharps co. recommended as well. I have shot 44-77 & 44-90 and Fg gave the best results. Less hard fouling in barrel immediately in front of chamber as well as cleaner burn & less recoil. I cannot say enough good things about Swiss Fg.  ;)

Steel Horse Bailey

Eric F, Howdy!

Sounds like you've got a good friend, there.

Without beating this to death, I've used 3f in everything I shoot, including shotgun.  As mentioned, you may find it works fine.  Or not.  It'd be interesting to actually measure the difference in felt recoil from using 3f vs. what's recommended.  personally, as far as recoil went, I couldn't tell any difference between my 2f, Cartridge, and 3f loads - in the recoil department.  However, it was based on memory because I DIDN'T have all 3 to compare side-by-side, I simply don't remember that I felt any real difference - so it wasn't a fair comparison.  I shoot 45-70 and was then loading 405 gr. bullets so that alone will be different than what you're wanting, due to the bullet weight difference.  I don't really remember whether there was much difference in the residue, either.

Dick D mentioned the use of LP primers.  I'm not sure why but there IS a school of thought from some serious BPCR competitors that finds the LPPs of benefit.  Just prime a few empty cases and see if there's room since the LPPs will possibly protrude a few thou.  Pardon me for stating the obvious.  ;)  It's something I'd likely forget.  ;D

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

bear tooth billy

The charts say to use 1f. I rebarreled my 45/70 to a 50/90 last year, I only had swiss 1 1/2 so I started using that, 95 grains no comp. under a 650 grain bullet. It shot very well although I only got sight settings to 300 yds. At our buffalo shoots here in Iowa, it will just blast over those 65 lb steel buffs.  Yesterday I got some Swiss 1f  that I' m going to try a load up to 110 grains I don't have any complaints about recoil but my gun  weighs over 16 lbs
Born 110 years too late

Fox Creek Kid

B.T.B., where in IA did you get the Swiss? I live in IA & no one I know sells it any more. Also, who rebarrelled your rifle?

bear tooth billy

Fox Creek Kid

I
live in eastern Iowa and get the Swiss from Jon Blackert in Il. He works in Moline and I pick it up there. His cell # is (563) 529-1064
My barrel is a badger from Buffalo Arms extra heavy. I do some talks about the old west and I originally rebarreled iit  to be like Jim Whites gun and mainly use in my talks as I have a Shilo 45/90 for my "serious shooter" . But after shooting the big 50 I realized I had a good problem, they both shot well.
Born 110 years too late

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com