How will I go using 45Cowboy loads in 45Colt New Vaqs?

Started by fourfingersofdeath, March 18, 2008, 05:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fourfingersofdeath

I did a search, but couldn't find anything.  :( I fancy using the 45Cowboy, but feel that they will be a bit short and foul the cylinder some. I have about 700 45Colt cases, so I probably shouldn't worry about it, they wil keep me out of mischief for awhile. I have a pair of 45Convertibles as well and they would work fine with the 45ACP cylinders, just like a 45cowboy, but it is a bit silly shooting modern with BP. I really fancy shooting classic cowboy with BP. I need a couple of 357 cylinders off a NMVaq, that should fix it.  ;D

I have an old 1866 Uberti in 44WCF and an old non descript London proofed Damascus hammer gun.

Mick.

I feel that as soon as I get organised shooting BP, that will be the end of me. I also have a NIB ASM Colt clone in 44WCF which should be fine for shooting Australian Colonial Action, which is shot with one pistol, cowboy rules apart from that.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Dick Dastardly

Howdy 4 Fingers, and Welcome!

The Darkside is a great place to learn and hang out.  Glad you're here.

Take those C45Spl cases, load 'em up with 1.3cc of FFFg Holy Black under either an EPP-UG or J/P 45-200 Big Lube™ bullets.  Enjoy some great shootn'.  When yer done, a spritz of Moosemilk (1 part Ballistol and Ten parts water) in each chamber and down the barrel and pull a Boresnake thru.  Presto, very clean gun.  Your guns will be cleaner than if you were shooting heathen fad smokeyless powder, your grin will be bigger and you will be hanging out with the best pards at the shooting line.

Others will add, but all will help.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

fourfingersofdeath

Thanks, I have a collar button mould with a huge grease groove, I'll try that and see how it goes.
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Steel Horse Bailey

You'll do great 4 FingoDeth.  And you'll be grinnin' a lot, too!  (See - BP shooting is even good for yer health, due to working out some extra muscles that don't always git used much in daily life!  ;) )

Lotsa grease is muy importante'. 

Since BP residue is SO MUCH easier to clean out'ta those chambers, you'll only have a challenge if ya fire some 45 Colt AFTER you've shot a bunch of the shorter rounds - and even THAT is a pretty easy fix on the range.  Take that BoreSnake and a spray bottle of moosemilk (I prefer 6-or-7 parts H2O to Ballistol, but I like the extra oil.  The WATER is whut does the residue removal and salts neutralization) to the range with ya - it only takes a couple minutes to get that chamber clean enough to seat the longer rounds at the range OR back home!  I found some neat plastic (made ONLY from pre-1900 molecules, of course  ::) ) spray bottles at my local CVS drugstore that hold 4 oz. of liquid, I think.  VERY handy size to take in your Range Bag - and I've never needed more than 1/2 bottle at the shootin' range.  The same bottles can be gotten if the she-male types in yer household buy that body spray:  rinse it out good and take the flowery clear plastic label off'n it and ya got a decent MANLY spray bottle fer free when it's M/T (empty) of the stink-purty stuff.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Tequila Jim

Collar button mold????  Inquiring minds want to know. Redards.  TJ  ??? ::)

Springfield Slim

The 165 grain 45Slim bullets would work well also.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

4FD;  Is your "collar button" from mold # 457130?  I looks like DD's little bullet, but AFTER a Jenny Craig program!  Weighs 145 grains?

Tequila Jim;  I'm sure you meant "Regards", and not the alternative possibility.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Tequila Jim

Sir Crarles, what can I say?  ::) ::) ::)  TJ

Steel Horse, the people and info on this site is amazing.
I never would hane gone to the darkside without it.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Tequila Jim on March 23, 2008, 11:04:51 AM
Sir Charles, what can I say?  ::) ::) ::)  TJ

Steel Horse, the people and info on this site is amazing.
I never would have gone to the darkside without it.

Jim,
We're glad ya came!  This is just like Alice's Restaurant ... You can get any thing you want ...

;)

You'll never be sorry!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com