E.M.F. Engraved 1875

Started by Ten Wolves Fiveshooter, March 14, 2008, 10:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Gents

I'm thinking of getting an E.M.F. ENGRAVED 1875, It's not stainless steel or nickle, I think it is just polished white steel, just curious, does anybody have one , and how are they , what are your thoughts on the gun after owning it four a while , I've never owned any of the Remmingtons, always been a Colt or Ruger fan, but I've been reading the post here on Scorrs, and the 1875 sounds like it would be fine gun to own , so any addvice would be welcomed, Thanks  ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Old Top

Ten Wolves,

The 75 works better for me then the Colts or the Clones, I advise to try one before you buy as the grip is a bit different.  I have two and have been shooting them for the last three years, only problem encountered is in one match I broke the hand springs on both revolvers, EMF took care of the problem as soon as I took them in.  If you shoot at the Silver Queen or the Cowboys look me up an you can try them for a stage or two.  I have no experience with the engraved but my pard Curly Cole has a set of them in the antique finish and they look quite good.  Looking at the catalog I beleive that I would opt for the enhanced engraving on the 7 1/2 inch, Curly has a set from Taylors with that type of engraving and they are quite nice.  Hope this is helpful.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy, 10 Wolves!

They are handsome guns.  I'll go with what the good 1SG says.  Try one - if your hand is really used to the shape and dimensions of Colts, it might take some getting used to.  A lot of shooters with large hands like the Remingtons - there's more room behind the trigger guard.

Having said that, I have generally small hands with slightly longer than average fingers.  I have NO trouble with EITHER the Colt or Remington grips.

When and if you decide to go the route of Black Powder be prepared for more learning.  GENERALLY, many have trouble with BP (real, NOT the subs like 777 or APP) because the bullets they use don't "carry" enough lube and due to very tight tolerances in the Uberti repros.  Remember that I told you this:  LUBE IS THE MAIN ELEMENT TO SUCCESSFUL BP SHOOTING IN REMINGTONs !   IMHO, of course.  ;)  And if you reload, OAL is critical because of the shorter cylinder on the 1875s.  Stick to 1.585" - 1.6" OAL.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Gents

Thanks Old Top and Steel Horse Baily
         I'm going to the Dings and Dents Sale of E.M.F. today at Walker 47 , I'm going to take a good hard look at these 1875's, I've kinda got the itch if you know what I mean, Thanks for the invite Old Top, I just might take you up on that if I can get over there. Thanks to you both , for the info. it's always good to converse with you Steel Horse  :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Steel Horse Bailey

Thankee kindly, 10 Wolfs.  ;)

For them whut don't know me and my sometimes warped sense of humor,  ::)  I actually DO know how to spell my pard Ten Wolves Fiveshooter's name - Variety is the spice of Life.  No offense is intended by intentional misspelling of his or ANYONE's handle.  It started because so many misspell MY name - and my nickname.

Jeffry = Jeffrey, Jeffery, Jefferey, even Geoffrey, but seldom Jeffry
Steel Horse has become; Steelhorse, Steal Horse (I like that one  :) ), Stealhorse, Steeley, Horse, Horse's a..  ;), whatever

You can call ME anything 'cept late fer dinner!
  ;)  ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Back at ya Jeff

Will I went to Walker 47 , they didn't have the engraved 75 , but they did have a beautiful cch, and blued 7 1/2" barrel job, that I walked around a half a dozen times , and picked it up and workrd the action, which was a tad on the stff side, but Debbie said they would put in a reduced spring if I wanted the gun, so then I went and got some of there free pop corn and a cold soda , and sat down to give it a think over  ::) ???, then I knew I had to have it by the time I got through with the pop corn. soooo I made the plunge , and now I'll be the proud owner of a Beautiful Remington 1875, and Steel Horse , the gun did  feel different just like you said , but it also felt good , can't wait to get it out to the range. But I guess I 'll have to wait , now I need to make another holster for it  :D

Thanks again Old Top and Steel Horse Bailey for your replies and comments  :D ;D

Old Top

Ten Wolves,

I do not think that you will be disapointed, and do have them put in the reduced spring, they will also loosen up a bit by shooting them.  The offer still stands to shoot my remington but I think that you may already be there, hope to see you at the range some time.

Old Top

Steel Horse Bailey

Good show, 10 Wolf!

I've had 2 of these pistols.  I still have one.  They are the most accurate pistols I own (provided I do MY part, natcherly) except for my Colt Python!  Like Top said, they'll loosen up from shooting, so get to it!  ;D  What caliber is it?  Mine are 45 Colt. 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Steel Horse Bailey

I'm looking forward to this , like I was telling you some time back, I've always had a curiiosity for the Remington 1875, so at least now I'll be able to satisfie it, I 'm one of those pards that really loves an accurate sixgun, and I'm hopeing mine will be one , I got the long barrel and in 45 long Colt , which is what I shoot, I don't know why I like this caliber so much , but I do , I started shooting the 45 back in 1961, and have been a fan ever since. I,m thinking I might make me a Jesse James rig for it , the long barrels seem to work a lot better in a cross draw, Thanks for your reply Steel Horse, and we'll be talking . :)

Steel Horse Bailey

I have several holsters and one is a Slim Jim type, cross or strong side - I had it made with the belt loop canted slightly so it will do either.  My 1875 really looks good in it!

Why do ya like 45 Colt so much?  'Cause it's a way cool cartridge, that's why!!!  There's something about wrappin' yer mitts 'round a Magnum calibered pistol of the day!  If they'd have had the technology of today, we'd have had 45 Colt RIFLES, too - not just repros with a "make-believe" caliber!  IMHO  ;)

DO be careful about OAL - it's muy importante'. There's a thread floating around in here (CAS City) or The Open Range about OAL and 45 Colt.  Many Remington shooters have found that their reload ammo - and even some factory ammo - will stick out the front and stop the cylinder rotation.  There is a mistaken thought that ammo loaded to SAAMI specs will sometimes be too long.  They measure the length of their cylinder and think that ammo loaded to the recommended OAL of 1.60" is too long.  My own cylinder measures 1.589".  If ya think about it, you'll figure out the mistake.  When ya measure a Cartridge OAL, you measure it from stem to stern, right?  Well, the WHOLE cartridge doesn't actually fit into the chamber - only the part from the front surface of the rim is chambered.  See?  There's where some measure wrong.  My gun (and they ARE all similar, but not exact) will handle cartridges up to 1.605" and shorter - but anything over 1.60" won't work right in my '66 rifle.  ;)  OR my '92.  The moral of my story is get a Max cartridge gage from Midway, Dillon, etc. and measure FIRST before shooting.  Even some factory rounds have been known to be over 1.60", but I think this is purely accidental, because the manufacturers take those SAAMI specs pretty seriously, I believe.

Hope I didn't come across as lecturing!  :D  Sometimes I fall back into my Master Gunner teacher bit!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on March 16, 2008, 08:40:46 AM
I have several holsters and one is a Slim Jim type, cross or strong side - I had it made with the belt loop canted slightly so it will do either.  My 1875 really looks good in it!

Why do ya like 45 Colt so much?  'Cause it's a way cool cartridge, that's why!!!  There's something about wrappin' yer mitts 'round a Magnum calibered pistol of the day!  If they'd have had the technology of today, we'd have had 45 Colt RIFLES, too - not just repros with a "make-believe" caliber!  IMHO  ;)

DO be careful about OAL - it's muy importante'. There's a thread floating around in here (CAS City) or The Open Range about OAL and 45 Colt.  Many Remington shooters have found that their reload ammo - and even some factory ammo - will stick out the front and stop the cylinder rotation.  There is a mistaken thought that ammo loaded to SAAMI specs will sometimes be too long.  They measure the length of their cylinder and think that ammo loaded to the recommended OAL of 1.60" is too long.  My own cylinder measures 1.589".  If ya think about it, you'll figure out the mistake.  When ya measure a Cartridge OAL, you measure it from stem to stern, right?  Well, the WHOLE cartridge doesn't actually fit into the chamber - only the part from the front surface of the rim is chambered.  See?  There's where some measure wrong.  My gun (and they ARE all similar, but not exact) will handle cartridges up to 1.605" and shorter - but anything over 1.60" won't work right in my '66 rifle.  ;)  OR my '92.  The moral of my story is get a Max cartridge gage from Midway, Dillon, etc. and measure FIRST before shooting.  Even some factory rounds have been known to be over 1.60", but I think this is purely accidental, because the manufacturers take those SAAMI specs pretty seriously, I believe.

Hope I didn't come across as lecturing!  :D  Sometimes I fall back into my Master Gunner teacher bit!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Howdy Steel Horse Bailey  :D

Once a Master Gunner always a Master Gunner, you earned the title Pard , and I always appreciate your input, and your right the 45 COLT just feels good , at least it has for me all these years, so why stop now,
        Canting the holster with a little mussel forward is a great way to kill two birds with one stone , I've been telling some pards to do this for some time now, you can have them as strong sides or cross draw ,all with the same holster. ??? :o ::) ;D
        Thanks for the info. on the ammo , I've been reading some of the post about this , so I'll have to make a point to make sure everything is going to work .  ??? ::) :o With specs being 1.60, would it be worth while getting the extra cylinder chambered in 45 acp, what do you think about this , I would have to carry the acp ammo around in my vest pocket , and is this even approved, for SASS OR NCOWS? ??? :-\

Thanks for your reply Steel Horse Bailey, and have a great day Pard  ;) :D

Steel Horse Bailey

Hola!

I wouldn't waste money on a 45 ACP cylinder.  If you're worried about OAL, simply buy 45 S&W (sometimes marked 45 Schofield) ammo or if you reload, you could use Adirondak Jack's brainchild, the 45 Cowboy Special.  I'm pretty sure that it is primarily a reload proposition, BUT I think there IS some 10X factory load ammo now, due to the popularity of the new case.  Basically, the 45 Cowboy Special ammo is what you'd have if you put a standard thickness rim on a 45 ACP case - which is NOT the same as 45 Auto Rim ammo.  All 3 of those rounds (45ACP/45AR/45CS) have the same case internal  capacity, but the rim on the 45 Auto Rim case, having been made to replace a 45 ACP case with 1/2 moon clips, is a WAY thicker rim than normal.  I have heard NOTHING but GOOD comments about the 45 CS round.  It's a very "efficient" cartridge - even more than the 45 S&W, which is somewhat longer.  Personally, I only shoot 45 Colt rounds (full-power, natcherly!) out of my 45 Colt-chambered guns these days, but that's one of MY idiotsyncracies.  ;)  I did shoot a couple boxes of 45 S&W ammo out of my 1873 'cause I wanted to see how well they performed and I got a GREAT price, but I only did it once.  The rounds did just fine - they were simply a bit too tame for me.  ::) ;D Actually, they were very nice and well-behaved and as accurate as I can shoot.  The other reason (and truth be known - the MAIN reason) that I don't shoot short rounds in long chambers, is the same as my stance on 38/357 and 44S/44M rounds.  The load I shoot may NOT always be a magnum load, but often it'll be the lower, often more accurate for target shooting load, but from the longer case so I don't get a lot of crud in the chambers from using the "special" length round in a "Magnum" length chamber.  Call me lazy, but I don't like cleaning the extra crud!  ;)

Adios!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Back ar ya Steel Horse Bailey

I don't think it's being lazy at all , thats something I didn't think of , I've never used a short shell in a long cylinder , but your right , it would build up a lot of crapola, ( don't need that), and I prefer a standard full house load, when I carry the 45 in the real world ,thats what I use. Shooting in CAS, everybody seems to frown on full house loads , seems the norm is 200 gr. 650 to 700 ft. per sec. It's kind of hard to enjoy the true Colt 45 this way , but if this is what we have to do, I don't want to make waves, I was loading Unique at 9 gr. with 220 gr. RN,at 900 FPS. and I had a pretty desent accurate round , a little under full house , but it shot POA and was pleasent to shoot , Well Steel Horse I guess I'll forget about that 45 ACP cylinder, and concentrate, on loading the right round for the Remingtom 1875, and like yours hopefully it will work well with all my other guns , I have about 8 boxes of Ten-x five with 200 gr. and three wimppy 165 gr. The places I've been getting my lead resently, only carry the 165 and 200 gr, they say this is where the demand is , so I'll probably have to start getting my lead off the web , or start casting my own, It seems to be hard , here to even get factory 250 gr, ammo. (IMO) I think maybe I need to go see Irish Red OTool, and see what he has . ???

tHANKS AGAIN pARD fOR tHE rEPLY aND iNFO. ;) :D

Old Top

Ten Wolves,

We had a good shoot at Silver Queen today, wish you could have been there to work out with the Remingtons.  Notice that you have been working on what loads to shoot, I do 44-40 so I do not have good ideas on 45, my pard Curly Cole shoots the 45 and he has been happy with the bear creek bullets at 200 grains but a fairly stout load at about 850 to 900 fps, I shoot about the same grain and fps.  These shoot quite well and make a good clang, half the fun of these old guns is working up the loads that we like to shoot.  Hope to shoot with you soon.

Old Top

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Old Top

Thanks again for the invite , one of these days you'll turn around and I'll be there , I do appreciate the hospitality Pard , I guess I'm not the onlyest Pard that likes a little stiff load , it doesn't have to be over the line , but I do like a little recoil, and if'n I don't get that , I feel like I'm back to shooting my old Fanner-50, with a roll of 25 caps , if you know what I mean. I sure would have liked to have tried your Remingtons out, just to see what everybody is talking about, I made the plunge anyway , and bought one , now I have to count the days don't ya know, but it will go quick enough, and it will give me some time to work on making a holster and gun belt for it , see one thing leads to another, thats whats so great about CAS, (IMHO) Steel Horse has been talking to me about specs on ammo for the 75, which again I really appreciate, I'd hate to get out to the range and find out the hard way. I have some Ten-X I 'm going to spec out first , and then we'll give it a try. :-\ ::) ??? 8)

Thanks for the reply Pard, and have a great week, talk to later :D

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy   Again.   And Again.  ;)

I hope I'm not pushin' here.  There's different philosophies here in CAS at work on the shootin' line.  IMHO, one group ISN'T any better than another, just different.  First, there's the competition crowd:  their fun is beating as many as possible - as well as themselves.  They (mostly) lean toward the lighter loads with less recoil - and probably (but not always) using smokeyless powder so they can get off faster shots.  And better scores.  They seem to be the biggest group, 'tho many aren't rabid about it and just try hard to do their best - and beat anyone they can.  Then, there's the Warthogs - like me - which also often includes (also like me) the "authentic loads ONLY" crowd.  Not much competition matters, other than ourselves - BUT doing well against others is always welcome, just not "stressed" over.  Accuracy is often MUCH more important.  ;)  Fun is truly #1 priority, 'tho certainly NOT limited to this or any other group.  Then there's another crowd (the smallest) who prefers the lightest possible accurate loads - but for sound reasons.  These are the folks who #1 are recoil sensitive due to health issues, or #2 are shooting authentic OLD weapons or perhaps less-than-exceptionally-strong weapons who simply don't want to over-stress their hardware ( - because for CAS, there truly ISN'T a need  :D ) and #3, there are the young or smaller of stature shooters (male OR female) who don't handle recoil well or simply want total control over their shootin' irons ... which is a GOOD thing, if ya think about it considering the raw power in your hand!!!   Well - there's my take on this power level thing.  What I see this as meaning is DON'T worry about what others think.  Yeah, they may look at you sideways with disdain for shooting full powered loads, but hey - you'll know in your own heart what really matters.  To YOU

So, shoot those 200 grainers, if that's what's available .  9 grs. of Unique pushin' 200 grains of lead aint no chump!  And gives a rel satisfying clang on target!  I've shot thousands of 'em.

You may well have better luck finding your bullets of choice via the Internet, but often the shipping puts the cost into the red zone.  I've recently started casting my own and I can't say enough good about the BigLube bullets.  www.biglube.com if yer interested.  I can't say from experience about the big-bore bullets for BPCR uses, but I'm totally satisfied with the PRS 250 gr. bullets for 45 Colt.  I've also used 100 of the 200 gr. versions, also with success, but chose the bigger pill.  The first casting I ever tried was the 250 from the BigLube stable and had shootable bullets almost immediately.  It's actually as much fuss TO ME to lube them.  I don't have the ca$h for a lubrisizer, so I have to do the pan-lubing thing.  It's pretty simple, just time consuming.  I shoot my bullets as-cast and don't try to size them.  They come out of the mould at around .455" with my mixed alloy of wheelweights cut with about 15-20% pure lead.  Since I was aiming for .454" it's worked well for me with no signs of stress.

Decide what "group" (if ya haven't already!) you want to be associated with and have FUN!

SHB

Deadeye Don

Don't let Steel Horse Bailey fool you.  He is the biggest GAMER around.   ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

hOWDY Steel Horse Bailey  ;D

Thanks for your input on this , CAS is unique this way in allowing everyone to shoot what feels good to them , as long as it stays inside the limits , which I think is great , who knows , down the road as we get older , we may have to use  lighter loads just to stay in the game , and for all the young people coming into this , and some men and women that have small hands , and don't have the strenght to handle the hotter loads  it's nice to be able to shoot what is comfortable , and have it available to them. I'm not one to look down my nose at anybody because they are useing lighter loads, everybody should use what they want to . I'll probably get involved in black powder, it looks like fun , and at my age a little compitition is fine but not my main focus, I too just want to hit my target everytime , and have a whole lot of fun doing it, I had 45 years of copitition and push push in my working life , now all I want to do is enjoy this game to the fullest , without any STRESS.
        And I can hardly wait to pick up my new 1875, like I Robert Duval said , I think, ( I like a gun with a little heft ) this gun seems rock solid, (IMO)

Have a great day Pard  :D

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Deadeye Don on March 17, 2008, 12:08:14 PM
Don't let Steel Horse Bailey fool you.  He is the biggest GAMER around.   ;D

Well, I'm not all that proud about it, but I AM pretty (a)round, but I sincerely hope I'm NOT game(r)y !!  :o :o ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Ten Wolves Fiveshooter on March 17, 2008, 12:44:22 PM

Thanks for your input on this , CAS is unique this way in allowing everyone to shoot what feels good to them , as long as it stays inside the limits , which I think is great , who knows , down the road as we get older , we may have to use  lighter loads just to stay in the game , and for all the young people coming into this , and some men and women that have small hands , and don't have the strength to handle the hotter loads  it's nice to be able to shoot what is comfortable , and have it available to them. I'm not one to look down my nose at anybody because they are using lighter loads, everybody should use what they want to . I'll probably get involved in black powder, it looks like fun , and at my age a little competition is fine but not my main focus, I too just want to hit my target every time , and have a whole lot of fun doing it, I had 45 years of competition and push push in my working life , now all I want to do is enjoy this game to the fullest , without any STRESS.
        And I can hardly wait to pick up my new 1875, like I Robert Duval said , I think, ( I like a gun with a little heft ) this gun seems rock solid, (IMO)

Have a great day Pard  :D

Yep - I am finding out for myself that I'm going to have to quit shooting Duelist (one handed and the most authentic way back then) because, due to my physical limitations, I can't hold my pistol STILL enough to hit reliably.   :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com