General officers' insignia

Started by Forty Rod, March 13, 2008, 03:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forty Rod

1865, near the end of the war, where would a Union general have worn his stars?  I've seen them on collars and I've seen them on shoulder boards. 

Which is correct for April, 1865?

Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

St. George

Gilt-trimmed, fringed Epaulettes were most common - with Shoulder Boards a close second.

There was a wide latitude given to General Officers - witness Custer's sailor suit - but in the more formal photos - they're worn as stated. or not at all, if the General was in the field, wearing campaign dress.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

40 Rod,

Private purchase items and their wear aside, here is what the regs say regarding the wearing of officer's rank on the shoulder. Hope it can be of use to you:

Revised U.S. Army Regulations, 1863

Page 471 Badges to distinguish rank: Epaulettes
section 1563: All officers having military rank will wear an epaulette in each shoulder
section 1564: The epaulette may be dispensed with when not on duty, and on certain duties off parade, to wit: at drills, at inspections of barracks and hospitals, on Courts of Inquiry and Boards, at inspections of articles and necessities, on working parties and fatigue duties, and upon the march, except when, in war, there is an immediate expectation of meeting the enemy, and also when the overcoat is worn.

Page 472 Badges to distinguish rank: Shoulder-Straps
section 1576: The shoulder-strap will be worn whenever the epaulette is not

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Forty Rod

Well, thgat clears up.....absolutly nuthin'!

Okay. let me narrow it down: same time frame, Custer.

;D

The more I find out the confuseder I get.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

St. George

While those Regs do cite what was specified in 1863 for Officers 'in general' - a General Officer still had wide latitude in personal dress - and believe me, there 'was' a difference.

General Officers could wear what they felt appropriate to their exalted rank - Grant wore a sack coat - Custer dressed up like Batman - and both were within their boundaries, and were called 'General'...

'On Campaign' - a myriad of items were worn by one and all - and that's evidenced in period photography.

Naturally, a more formal occasion would require a more prosaic and appropriate uniform - but unless stationed in Washington, there was little need for a full-dress uniform - especially among those who were Brevetted to a higher rank.

By the time the celebrations were in order - the mustering out processes were being done.

In one of my odd references, I think I have something on how and why Custer picked out what he did - but holding your breath's not recommended.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Frenchie

General George Crook and an Apache scout, 1885. The general is wearing a civilian brown canvas hunting jacket without any insignia, brown corduroy trousers, carries a double-barreled shotgun and is riding a mule. That thing on his head is a cork sun helmet. Old George wore, carried and rode what he damn well pleased.  ;D
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Frenchie

Forty Rod, if any Union Civil War or Indian War generals wore collar insignia, I haven't ever seen pics or descriptions of it. The Confederates had collar insignia, I can try to to post pics of that if you like.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Trailrider

Howdy, Pards,

Note the "non-regulation" length of the ears on Crook's "horse"!   ;)  Crook preferred a good ridin' mule on campaign, except during a battle, when he usually switched to a horse.  (I'd bet that was to keep his favorite mule from being targeted.  Crook had at least one horse shot out from under him at the Rosebud battle.)

According to John Finerty, a news correspondent with Crook on the Big Horn & Yellowstone Expedition of 1876, Crook was sitting on a fallen tree, whittling, dressed similar to the photo, when a private, not knowing who he was (there were a bunch of civilians attached to the expedition), sat down next to the general, and expressed his doubts as to the success thusfar of the expedition, adding, "I'm not too much on this fellow Crook.  I think he's just out to impress the correspondents..."  Crook replied, "I shouldn't wonder."  About that time, Crooks adjutant came up, saluted, and addressed him as "General".  That private is probably still running!  :P
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Forty Rod

Got what I needed.  Thanks, gents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com