Help, I want a Spencer! *** Original Spencer Listed For Sale ***

Started by moosehead, March 12, 2008, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehead

Hi to all. New member here with some questions. I think alll the current Spencers are made by the same company, so are there any real differences between any of the models imported by the various importers? 
I think there were some serious problems with some of the earlier imports, especially the ones chambered in 44 russian, but the later models are OK? 
This gun will strictly be for fun time at the range, and I'm not sure if I should go for the 56-50 or the 45 Colt. Is it worth the additional expense to start reloading for the 56-50, or should I just get the 45 Colt? I have never reloaded before, but I can't afford the crazy prices for 56-50 factory ammo. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, I'm looking forward to your replies.

Jim

Two Flints

Original Spencers - Too expensive to purchase??????

56-50 Spencers by Armi Sport - authentic caliber but more expensive to shoot, unless you reload your own

.44 Russian - reported feeding problems; less expensive to shoot - discontinued model

.45 Schofield - less expensive to shoot - discontinued model - on a personal note, I've not had any feeding problems with my .45 Schofield Spencers

.45 Colt -  need info from SSS members who own this caliber :-X :-X

.44-40   -  need info from SSS members who own this caliber  :-X :-X

Try Gunbroker.com for pricing on these various Spencer models. Click on this link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp?SearchResults.asp?SearchType=0&Keywords=spencer

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

major

Jim
I have the Spencer in 44-40 and I haven't had any feeding or extracting problems with it.  I mostly shoot blanks out of it but I tried some live firing out of it and it did pretty good right out of the box.  I didn't do any trigger work on it and only did the very basic of sighting it in and I hit paper with every shot at 50 yards off hand.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

moosehead

Thanks for the replies guys. I already own a few guns in 45 Colt, so I suppose that's what I'll end up getting.

Jim

Bead Swinger

I wouldn't knock originals out either; The brass is more expensive than the modern 56-60 brass, and there is the additional expense for a follower and CF block. But these are one-time costs, and are not that much more. :D  The question is, do you cast? 

If you like casting, any of the Spencers can be made to shoot inexpensively, including originals. The reloading isn't hard either.  I learned how to reload for my Spencer before I ever got something vaguely modern like a 45-70.  The short, straight-walled cartridges (56-56, 56-50, 45C, and 44R) are all easy to learn to reload with. :) I've been told that 44-40 is a little tricky, but have no clue myself.

If you can find an original in shooting condition, they're not hard to put into operation. Generally plan to use BP or Subs, though.

If you find one you can afford, original or Repro, go for it!  They're a hoot. There really is nothing like having a 370+gr .535 heading downrange subsonic, with clouds of smoke and fire. Definitely a fun time at the range. :D

BTW - if you hang out on this list long enough, something eventually goes up for sale.  And if it's from this crowd, it usually includes brass, dies, and sometimes molds too. And usually at reasonable prices.
1860 Rifle SN 23954

major

I have an original Spencer carbine in 56-50 that is for sale.  It has been re-barreled by Romano and rifled by Hoyt.  It has the center fire conversion block and fowler already installed with a tall front site. I sighted it in for 50 yards and it shoots better than I can hold it. $2000. + shipping.  I still have another one that I am using my dies and brass for so none of that is included.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Two Flints

Major,

Please, some photos of your Spencer for sale :P :P :P

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

major

TF
I don't have any now but I will take some tonight and get them to you and get at least one on the BB.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

Grizzle Bear

If you're gonna get a repro Spencer, you ought to get it in .56-50.  That's about as close as you can get to an original.

IMHO

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

major

Here are a couple of pictures of the Spencer I have for sale.

I have an original Spencer carbine in 56-50 that is for sale.  It has been re-barreled by Romano and rifled by Hoyt.  It has the center fire conversion block and fowler already installed with a tall front site. I sighted it in for 50 yards and it shoots better than I can hold it. $2000. + shipping.  I still have another one that I am using my dies and brass for, so none of that is included.

Terry

Terry
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Grizzle Bear on March 13, 2008, 03:25:28 PM
If you're gonna get a repro Spencer, you ought to get it in .56-50.  That's about as close as you can get to an original.

IMHO

Grizzle Bear

Agreed.  I know the caliber of modern made Spencers has been discussed before.  It just doesnt make much sense to me to buy a Spencer in 45 colt or 44-40.  You lose so much of the enjoyment of shooting it with the smaller calibers.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

moosehead

I really was thinking it would be nice to get one in 56-50, although I've never reloaded before and I would have to purchase reloading equipment also. That's kind of why I was leaning toward 45 Colt. Will I need a lot of equipment to get started?
Major, that's a nice one you've got there, very tempting.   

major

Moosehead
Yes, you will need some equipment.  Fist you will need a mold to make bullets, then you will need a press and some, dies and possibly a sizer.  A powder throw, a powder scale and a priming tool.  You will also need to buy some brass cases.  So yes you will need to get some equipment but all this equipment will stay with you for many years.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

Two Flints

Moosehead,

I sent you a PM and you have not replied. :-\ :-\

Some info on the Spencer in .45 colt caliber:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,17867.0.html

or here:  http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/RepeatingRifles/Spencer.htm#

and when you get to the Spencer page - click on Product information for pricing info on the various Spencer reproduction models for sale.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

major

Hello All
Someone e-mailed me about the Spencer I have for sale and my spam filter deleted it before I had a chance to read it.  If you e-mailed me about it and I didn't respond please e-mail me again.
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

moosehead

Oh, so I have to send a PM to Two Flints and register here also, now I get it. I registered with CAS and I didn't realize I should register here also. I'll take care of that now.

Jim

Deadeye Don

Quote from: moosehead on March 15, 2008, 01:12:48 AM
Oh, so I have to send a PM to Two Flints and register here also, now I get it. I registered with CAS and I didn't realize I should register here also. I'll take care of that now.

Jim

You don't have to register with the individual forums, but if you have a particular interest in Spencers or some other aspect of CAS then you are showing your support for them by doing so.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Two Flints

Thanks Deadeye,

The primary purpose behind SSS was to have a forum where all Spencer shooters could come together and share their experiences both pro and con with Spencers.  If there was no Spencer Shooting Society then information about the Spencer would be scattered all over in a number of different forums.  Having "guests" join SSS brings that knowledge base into one manageable forum for the benefit of everyone interested in Spencers.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Traditional Archery

panhead pete

Howdy Moosehead & Company,

If you are looking to casually shoot the Spencer, perhaps 45LC is best for you.  I know with busy lives many do not have the time or inclination to reload.  I have found reloading in my garage to be very relaxing and I enjoy reloading.  That being said, I must admit 56-50 is in my humble opinion the best caliber.  I have been shooting mine for 2 years now and it is an awesome weapon!   

I use a Lee Classic cast press, Lyman dies and cast my bullets.  I just looked at Midway and they have the Lee Classic Cast press for $69.99.  Their dies are $48.00.  Bullets are around $25.00 for 50 and the brass is $25.50 for 20.  They are $104.50 if you buy 100.  If you are not shooting CAS, then 20 may be enough.  I have a set of Lee powder dippers which are under $25.00.  Large rifle primers are used and can be purchased locally.  56-50 are pricey to start but once you are set up you can reload the brass cutting your costs significantly.  I use ffG which around $20.00 for subs or Goex.  So for about $190.00 you can get set up and then it is a matter of buying bullets, primers and powder.  It is not as expensive as some folks make it out to be.  Western action shooting does not require case length cutting, electronic powder scales and equipment the modern long range rifle shooters require.  You can start reloading very inexpensively, especially for black powder.  Then you can purchase a set of 45 LC dies and reload the brass from them as well. 

I shoot CAS and you should see the look on the faces of the folks at the reloading table when I lay the Spencer on the table and place those huge rounds in the magazine!!  It is well worth the effort.

Happy Trails,

Panhead Pete

Harve Curry

I would vote for the 56-50 Spencer also. It is a easy cartridge to load for, and the cases last and last.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com