Sizing a belt...

Started by Hank Rugerman, March 09, 2008, 04:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Rugerman

When it comes to sizing a belt..I really never have thought about the process for doing so...

I ask this question, because at some point I would like to build rigs, and make them available (looking ahead to retirement)

I have found a pretty good web site that supplys solid aluminum replicas for the colt...and ruger SAA

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WSP&Product_Code=P01MB&Category_Code=NFR

Is there a process or formula that you use to determine a belt size?

If you get to thinking your important..try ordering someone elses dog around!

Slowhand Bob

The Will Ghormley Western belt pattern pack actually covers it better than most books.  Usually the correct size will be measured from the billets center hole to the that part of the buckle end that the tongue first crosses.  Look at one of your belts and you will see what I am referring to.  That hole you use on your existing trouser belt would be the center hole on a well fitted trouser belt, for you, with ever how many holes dresired, forward and back, for adjustments.  For a western gun belt you would obtain this measurement by measuring around all clothing at the spot you want the belt to lay.  Some have different formulas to add accomodation for holsters, pouches, bullet slides, etc.  Accs do add spacers into the mix.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Hank

Like Slowhand Bob has pointed out Will Ghormey has some great information , in his Gun belt pattern pack. and useing the center hole in the billit as your exact point of measurement, is what you want .

The problem here is everybody is just a little different , meaning as to where they wear there pants and pant belt , some people have high waist lines and some low , but the rule of thumb is about four inches longer than pant size , or where you would wear your pants, but usually 2 to 3" below the top of the pant. hope this helps , I think the safest way would be to get an exact measurement, of where they are going to or want to wear it , would be the best way to do it. (IMHO) I'v known some pards with high waist lines, where as there gun belt was a good six to seven inches below the top of there pants , so you can see what I mean. :o ??? also some will be wearing heavier clothing, because of where they live , and some will be wearing chaps , so you will need to know what they will be wearing the belt over , in order to get the measurement that you need .

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Hank Rugerman

So...let me see..

taking into affect being able to get an exact measurement...most definitely the best way to go...

If a fellow built to a standard 34",36",38" etc. waist size..the plan would be to add at least 2" under and over the size
giving a range of movement about 4"/5"????

I ask it this way, in the event I built up a "stock" of belts...having choices of course...in styles.

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Hank

I think you have a handle on this , I pointed out all those variables just in case some one else might read this post , if you plan on building up an inventory, you really don't have to worry about this to much , but if you get a customer that wants it to be perfect , and doesn't have the normal size of most men , and or women, then you will need to look out for these variables, if you don't they can come back and bite you in the $$$,

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Hank Rugerman

Thanks TW...it was just one of those things I hadn't thought about...appreciate the feedback.. :)

ChuckBurrows

The 'industry standard" used to be 3" longer than the pants waist size with a total of five holes - today for most CAS folks I find it is closer to 4-5" on average for my customers and we use 7 holes....

On most custom orders I have the customers do the following:
1) Put on any belt at the spot they choose to wear their gunbelt and over the clothes they plan on wearing, note the hole used, then measure from the far inside edge of the buckle to the hole used - this becomes the center hole. I also ask to see if they plan to wear over chaps and/or just over clothes.........

2) I made up a measurement belt I ship to the customer with instructions and have then return it . The belt is 1 3/4" straight and has holes starting at 24" and goes up to 53" in 1" increments which are numbered. They note which hole used. I also get a couple o other measurements. Here's a link to the instructions:
www.wrtcleather.com/1-main-pages/popup_gunbelts_measure.html

I have found that folks just measuring using the measurement tape can throw the measurement off by 1--2 inches. Using the above method{s} over the last ten years I have had just one belt that was incorrectly sized - the customer somehow got it wrong - guess Mr. Murphy was around! - rebuilding belts because of a miss measurement is not good! :-[  :-X  :-[
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Slowhand Bob

Chuck, those belts that are to short can be redeemed.  First, soak them overnight in water. The next mourning tack the belt off (billet end) to a tree limb with a fifty pound weight attached to the buckle.  Well from here you can get the picture.  This technique has been used by me to gain at least six inches on an already BIG belt!!!!  I was well known for my custom belts with the taper in the middle...

Hank Rugerman

Chuck,

Thanks a bunch for that feedback and thanks for the how-to....I appreciate it.

So Slowhand....at what point does a fellow decide he has enough taper.... ::)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on March 10, 2008, 09:53:18 AM
Chuck, those belts that are to short can be redeemed.  First, soak them overnight in water. The next mourning tack the belt off (billet end) to a tree limb with a fifty pound weight attached to the buckle.  Well from here you can get the picture.  This technique has been used by me to gain at least six inches on an already BIG belt!!!!  I was well known for my custom belts with the taper in the middle...
Howdy Gents

Slowhand Bob , hit on a good one , and I agree , I was at Standing Bears one day , and I needed a piece of 4 to five ounce leather , to line a gun belt I was making , so Cowboy WC pulls out this piece of scrap that he had and said here use this ,
and I laughed, it was all twisted up and going here and there, and it wasn't quit long enough, I said you got be kidding , he said take it home , and wet it , then clamp one end down , and strech it out , and pull it to be straight , so I did , I let it dry , and WA LA YE HA Cowboy, it worked, there was no more curl, the wrinkles were out and it was straight as an arrow. You learn something new all the time in the leather world . :o ::) 8)

Slowhand Bob

Sure it works great on belts if you use rubber band stitching and want the tooling to take on a really unique and different look!

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Hello Slowhand Bob

Will Slowhand, this does have it's limitations , like you said, I sure wouldn't want to do this on stiched leather, or tooled for that mater , but for a unlined belt , no stiching, no tooling , it would work in a fix , of course your belt might not be as wide as it was , but you might be able to at least cinch it up (LOL)  ;) :D ;D :o ::) ??? 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;D

Quote from: Slowhand Bob on March 10, 2008, 01:40:12 PM
Sure it works great on belts if you use rubber band stitching and want the tooling to take on a really unique and different look!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com