Making leather goods

Started by Dead Eye Dave, March 09, 2008, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead Eye Dave

Never made anything out of leather before but this forum has me interested.  All the different designs I see in holsters are interesting to me.  Do ya'll stamp them out with some sort of stamper or is it done some other way?  Also what grade of leather do you use and where would you get it from?  And how much does it usually cost?  Hope this isn't too many questions.

DB

Whiskey Creek Adams

Dead Eye:

Your questions are extremely broad and can only be answered in very general terms.

1. You can buy different types of holster patterns from a variety of different sources. Will Ghormley, a member here, I think, has some nice ones.  Most experienced folks make their own patterns.

2.  Most folks will use a variety of stamps to create a border pattern.  Inside of that may be a floral or some other design.  These are normally cut in the leather with a swivel knife, then a variety of other types of tools, such as a beveler, seeder and background tools are used to fill in and complete the design.

3. The leather used for say an unlined "Cowboy" holster will, in general, be 8-9 oz, high quality, vegetable tanned. Leather may be obtained from any number of different sources.

4. Leather and tool costs? Impossible to say as it will depend a lot on how many and how much you pay for your tools and leather. You really don't need very many tools to do a minimalist, un-tooled, type of holster and could make your first one for say $50.00 or less. That is where you would want to start out learning and building your skill set anyway. Leather work, particularly tooling and finishing is, IMO, an art and is only really learned with experience, though there are numerous books available to get you started. Some of the folks here, I know for a fact, are professionals in the trade and have over 40 years of experience. I'm a relative newbie (hobbiest) with about 3 years experience and am just now starting to produce some decent looking tooling.

Other costs?  1-3 years of experience, depending on how much you work at it invaluable.

Go here to get some idea of the costs involved for leather, tools, glues, dyes, finishes, etc, etc, etc.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/

Tandy is just one of many sources.

Slowhand Bob

Starting on a budget to obtain that first Plain Jane holster does not have to be painful.  A single shoulder, a small bottle of leather glue (for the main seam) and some needles and thread from Tandy.  Check the Ghormley web site to see if you can find a holster style you like, and if so, order the patterns.  (many of his patterns are also available at Tandy)  If none of those are quite to your likeing, ask back and give ideas of what you want.  There are quite a few patterns floating around now days and I frequently see pards willing to give out a favorite pattern to newbies.

Next step to obtaining the absolute minimum in tooling for that first really plain holster, go to Lowes or Home Depot.  First need, get a pencil to trace that pattern onto the leather.  Next you will need one of the disposable blade type case opener knives to cut that pattern out of the leather.  To finish those rough edges get a couple of the abrasive sponges.  Last, get a cheep devider to lay out the mainseam stitch line, including stitch spacing and the cheep 1/16" bit to actually drill the holes.  Last but not least, on the way home stop by the local Foof Lion and get some Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a bare minimum finish coat.  (Some seam to swear by the stuff but the only place Ive ever used it was on foods)

There are lots of tools and supplies out there that would do the job quicker and to higher standards but this minimal list will allow a bunkhouse holster to be made.  The neat thing is that if you like the results or want to try again for any reason, there will be plenty of left over everything to allow retrying several times, with just the aquisition of more leather.  Be sure and ask again before upgradeing the tool list as it should be done slowly and with guidance or early on you will waste money on tools that are almost worthless to you.       

santee

Hey all. I've been lurking here for months. Checking out the fine leather work shown in your photo postings and getting ideas. Revving myself up for the first project, I guess.

If you don't have a sewing pony, what do you suggest when the hand sewing stage arrives?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Slowhand Bob

Santee, your milage may vary but I found my knees to be a pretty good substitute.  My hand sewing methods were definitly not mainstream but they did lend themselves well to doing the long tedious jobs such as linings and bullet loops ay night, in front of the tv, rather than in the shop.  It was on these occasions that the knees done admirable duty as a sewing pony.  I do not like the little cheap lap ponies, as offered by many retailers.  Being a tv couch tater at heart, I even figured ways to do quite a bit of the munitions reloading chores that way also.

Hank Rugerman

Try this site....Chuck has some pretty good info on leather working and stitching and some basic tools needed...
This is how I got started.

http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tutorials/_leatherstitch.html

Patterns are the way to go for a beginner. When picking up the pattern, it will have all the materials listed and it gives instructions  as well.... :)
If you get to thinking your important..try ordering someone elses dog around!

panhead pete

Howdy Santee,

Welcome to the club.  Using your knees is excellent.  If you want the work closer to your eyes and arms you may want to get a pony.   The stitching pony Tandy offers is a good start and it is priced accordingly.  If you get serious, you may want to get a "stitching clam".  It is a wooden hinged piece that you place between the knees to grip the piece.  Seigel leather used to have them or if you have wood working equipment you can easily copy the design.  A good way to hold the seams together is to use tacks with an anvil or steel plate.  Most hardware stores have them.  The difference between a tack and a nail is the end of the tack folds under and grips the leather.  I stitch mark the seams so I have spacing and then tack every inch and a half or so in the stitch marks.  As I close the seam by stitching, I remove the tacks as I go.   Hope this helps.

Panhead Pete

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Deadeye Dave

I have a problem with my hand , but so far I find hand sewing , not to be hard to do without a sewing pony , I have one , I just prefer to lay the piece on my lap when sewing , sometimes I even bring my work into the house , and sew my things while sitting in my easy chair,while watching old westerns on tv, Like Hank Rugerman pointed out , Chuck Burrows, has the plans for a really nice pony , that was made for him by one of his customers, this one would be great for doing just about anything , but especially holsters .

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

santee

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I look forward to participating more in these discussions! :)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Dalton Masterson

These guys pretty much nailed the basics! Just want to mention that if you use a utility knife, get the non retracting type. They are much sturdier that way. A good video on holster making or just general leather work will help you too. Hidecrafters has the most selection of videos.
I dont use a stitching pony either, but I have one of the tiny Tandy ones. It was leaving marks on my leather so quit using it. I do have plans for a full size stitching horse somewhere, that I plan on making someday. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Good to have you on board, Santee. We'll be looking forward to seeing your stuff as you do it.

As to hand-stitching, I have a stitching pony but it doesn't work so I do what I've always done - hold the project on my knees like Bob says.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Springfield Slim

I used my stitching pony a couple of times, didin't like it and it left marks. I'm like most of you guys, if the sewing is simple and is gonna take more than 15 minutes I do it while watching some sort of western. Then it's not work, it entertainment! And I like to use the utility knives also. Try the one with the hook on the end, cuts like crazy and REALLY turns corners well. Just don't do like I used to do and try and sharpen them. Just isn't worth the time, buy new blades, they are cheap.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

panhead pete

I tacked pieces of leather to the jaws of my stitching clam to keep it fromm damaging the finish on the piece being sewn.

Happy Trails,

Panhead

santee

I really like Will Ghormley's "Ben Wade" holster. Is this available in one of his pattern books?
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

outrider

Howdy Santee:

I don't think Will, has gotten around to doing a pattern pack for the "Ben Wade" holster.  Try contacting him about a pattern for it.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

santee

Thanks. I just sent him an email.
Gettin' paid today, so it's off to the leather store to invest in my new hobby (that is, if I like it).  ;)
Historian at Old Tucson
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

hOWDY Santee

I can tell you right now pard , your not going to like this new hobby of leather craft, YOUR GOING TOO LOVE IT  :D ;D ::) ;D

Good to have you with us Pard

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Dalton Masterson

Welcome Santee!! You are going to love it! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

outrider

Santee:

This is a great hobby..just take your time...don't get discouraged..this is not something you learn overnight.  Read..do..read..do..read..do...practice makes perfect.  Don't be afraid to ask questions

Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

panhead pete

Hello Santee,

If you see "How to make Holsters" by Al Stohlman, you may want to get that.  He has a bunch of patterns and good instruction on lacing and hand sewing.

Have fun,

Panhead Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com