Shoot 45s? I gotcha covered.

Started by Dick Dastardly, March 05, 2008, 09:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Dastardly

Here's a photo that's been submitted for an article being written by Pukin' Dog.  He wanted to show the lineup of Big Lube™ bullet mold designs currently listed on the www.biglube.com web site.

You can see them both with and without lube.

Enjoy.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Tequila Jim

Hey DD, while I am thinking about Big Lube boolits, what is the number of the top punch
for the JP200 and the PRS250 ?    Regards, TJ

Springfield Slim

He missed one, the 45Slim 165 grain SWC. Moulds showed up yesterday,
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Cohagen

Hey DD,

The sick doggie knows his stuff.  Look forward to the article.

Cohagen

Dick Dastardly

Top punch for Lyman, RCBS and like lube/sizers for Mav Dutchman, PRS and J/P designs is Lyman #649.  I like to grind down the rim a mite for an easier fit.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Tequila Jim

Thank You DD, now what else can I not live without from Midway. Regards  TJ ;D

Tommy tornado

Hey Dick,

How much 3 FG BP can you get behind that 200 grainer?  I currently have your 250 grainer but am thinking of switching to the 200 J/P.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Dick Dastardly

Howdy double T,

I've been getting 1.3cc under the J/P 45-200 RNFP with Cowboy 45 Special brass.  In 45 Long Colt I'm getting 2.2cc under that same bullet.  It really depends on how much compression you use.  I could back it down to 2cc in that same brass without using fillers.

I like a lot of boom, flames and smoke so I use a pretty strong load.  40 grains is near tops.  With 40 grains of FFFg under the 200 grain bullet it's starting to push the 1000 fps max SASS limit out of a 7-1/2" barrel pistol.

I  can easily exceed the 1000 fps max with the lil EPP-UG over a compressed charge of FFFg in 45 Long Colt.  Out of the shorter Cowboy 45 Special and 1.3cc of FFFg I'm graphing 950fps.  That's movin' rite along.

You will get a mite less recoil with the 200 grain bullet.  That's what the inventors, Johnson and Peterson, intended.

There's a third choice that makes sense if you are running ROAs with both original C&B and Konversion cylinders.  It's the DD/ROA 45-210 grain RN.  Both the EPP-UG and DD/ROA have the same base rebate and work equally well in both C&B and cartridge loads.

Choices, there are so many.  Ain't it fun?

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Tommy tornado

Thanks for the reply Dick,

I don't use the Old Army, so I think I will be purchasing a 200 grainer in the near future.  With your 250 grain bullet, I have been using about 30 to 32 grains of 3fg, and with that 200 grainer I was thinking of bumping it up to 38 to 40 grains.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Dick Dastardly

Ho Tommy,

That'll be a snappy load.  Should shoot flat and take the bonus targets.  Now, I've got to get LEE to cough up my last orders.  This Six month lag time from the time they take my money sure wrecks the idea of "just in time" ordering. :(

I'm getting myself in position to start buying Big Lube™ molds a hundred at a time.  That'll make 'em work an extra shift. ;D

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

JL McGillicuddy

I plan to load Big Lubes into both Schofield cases (for my pistols) and Colt cases.  Would you suggest using the 200 or 250 grain Big Lube bullet based on that?  I am not recoil sensitive and one of my reasons for playing in BP is flame throwing.  I may, at times, be joined by my girlfriend shooting my guns.  She is a bit recoil sensitive, but not overly so. 

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jack Lee

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com