Mackinaw Blanket Coat - PC or not PC?

Started by Flinch Morningwood, March 03, 2008, 01:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RattlesnakeJack

Bill:

I'm not aware of Lachine pattern blankets ever being a regular trade item with the Hudson's Bay Company , or in Canada generally., which was the admittedly limited perspective of my post .....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Flinch Morningwood

I would tend to believe that the Capote (long version) or the Mackinaw (short version) were probably made with whatever blankets were common at the time...that would be the Lachine or solid w/black stripe for 18th century, the multistripe for early 19th and perhaps even army issue for the 1860s through 1890s...of course, using an earlier version in a later time period would most likely be acceptable as well.

As with most items, a lot would depend on the persona, I imagine.  A drover or range hand might have a handmade version from any availible blanket where someone with more money or desire to "put on airs" might have a better tailored, higher end cloth or blanket version.

I would think that the River Junction version might be PC for some personas and time frames...given their more "cloth type" material and leather bound pockets, they might be the higher-middle range of affordability...JMHO.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Skeeter Lewis

As a newbie, I gotta say that the range of knowledge in depth in these forums is amazing.

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote from: Skeeter Lewis on February 11, 2009, 01:01:19 PM
As a newbie, I gotta say that the range of knowledge in depth in these forums is amazing.

And we know it too!! ;)

Heh heh

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com