What Happened to my 58' Uberti?

Started by The General, March 01, 2008, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundance44`s

General do ya ever have any good luck ....maybe your moon and star thing isn`t right  ,..buy a rabbits foot or something ... :-\
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Evil One

'Cause that rabbits foot worked out SO well for the rabbit... ;)

Evil

The General

Quote from: sundance44`s on March 02, 2008, 05:54:32 PM
General do ya ever have any good luck ....maybe your moon and star thing isn`t right  ,..buy a rabbits foot or something ... :-\

Sundance, if it wasn't for bad luck... I wouldn't have any luck.   ;)   ;D
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

The Avocado Kid

Quote from: sundance44`s on March 02, 2008, 05:54:32 PM
The rabbits foot rusted as well ::)
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

sundance44`s

Recon your looking on the bright side bad luck being better than no luck at all !  ;D when things can`t get no worse they have to get better !

Deadeye Don

For future reference I highly recommend Bore Stores for safe storage of any firearm.  They are silicon impregnated and allow air to circulate around the gun as well.  The also protect it from banging up against other firearms in your safe.  You can buy them from a number of places with Sportsmans Guide being one.  You live,  and you learn.
Regards.  Deadeye.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=40387
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Oldelm

Deadeye,.....those Bore Stores look interesting , although the largest one listed for handguns as ....."Soft Gun Case 7 1/8 x 12" for large frame autos and 6" bbl. revolvers "

Will these work with an 8" barreled Remington?

The General

Quote from: Deadeye Don on March 03, 2008, 06:30:15 AM
For future reference I highly recommend Bore Stores for safe storage of any firearm.  They are silicon impregnated and allow air to circulate around the gun as well.  The also protect it from banging up against other firearms in your safe.  You can buy them from a number of places with Sportsmans Guide being one.  You live,  and you learn.
Regards.  Deadeye.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=40387

Deadeye, those look like a great idea.  Thanks for sharing the info, I will definitely look into these.

"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

The General

Quote from: sundance44`s on March 03, 2008, 05:15:27 AM
Recon your looking on the bright side bad luck being better than no luck at all !  ;D when things can`t get no worse they have to get better !

I do my best to keep a good outlook my friend.  When the world hands you lemons, get yourself a bottle of "Jack" to go with it!  ;)

Yankee Will

I have one of those Bore Stores I keep a stainless Ruger in, and it has always come out looking like new. ;D
"This country needs more Patton and less patent leather..."

Steel Horse Bailey

General, pard!  Howdy!

What's the latest? 

Stainless OR "in the white" - it CAN be fixed.  I don't remember, but what was the original cleaning fluid?  I have some Midway brand bore cleaner that works very well.  However, it worked TOO well on one of my guns with "color case" on the frame and started cleaning off the applied finish!

Stophel mentioned Hoppes - it's not the Hoppes #9 Plus  BP cleaner I recommended so highly, is it?  I'll be PLUM AMAZED if you say "yes!"  :o

I'll bet the Simichrome fixed the problem.  IMHO, of course.  I think what you ran into was an incompatibility between what you used and what HAD BEEN used previously.  A chemical reaction, if you will.  Didn't you mention that this was YOUR initial cleaning after firing?

Adios, mi amigo.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

The General

Yes, I did use the Hoppes #9 and it was the first cleaning since the pistol was purchased new.

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: The General on March 25, 2008, 09:47:20 AM
Yes, I did use the Hoppes #9 and it was the first cleaning since the pistol was purchased new.

Ok, pard, I'm still cornfused. 

Hoppes # 9 or:
Hoppes # 9 Plus?
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Boys sorry for signing in so late on this one.

A few words about Stainless Steel, it can get a little bit complicated. There are many different alloys that fit under the general category of Stainless Steel. In industry it is often referred to as Corrosion Resistant steel. Notice it is resistant, it is not rust proof. All Corrosion Resistant steels have a minimum of 11.5% Chromium in the alloy. Different alloys exhibit different amounts of corrosion resistance, mostly based on the Chromium content. Stainless Steel used in the harshest environments can have a Chromium content up to 26%. What happens is the oxygen in the air naturally combines with the Chromium at the surface of the metal to form a thin layer of Chromium Oxide. The Chromium Oxide becomes a barrier to atmospheric oxygen and prevents any oxygen from reaching the further into the metal to form Iron Oxide (rust). Since the Chromium is equally distributed throughout the alloy, if the surface is scratched, a new Chromium Oxide layer forms, protecting the new surface. This process is called Passivation. Aluminum behaves the same way.

Machinability can also affect the corrosion resistance of some Stainless Steels. Some are more easily machined, but sacrifice some of their corrosion resistance to be easily machinable.

Some Stainless Steels are magnetic, some are not. It has to do with the crystaline structure of the steel, not the iron content.

I have my Stainless Uberti 1858 Remington in hand right now and I also have a small, very strong horseshoe magnet. The frame and barrel are not magnetic. But some of the interior parts are made of a different Stainless alloy that is magnetic. The hammer and cylinder pin are strongly magnetic. So is the bolt, but I suspect it is made of tool steel. Depending on how I hold the magnet, portions of the frame appear to be mildly magnetic, but that is because the magnet is attracted to some magnetic parts inside the frame. The original Stainless cylinder that came with the gun is not magnetic, but the nipples are magnetic tool steel. The R&D conversion cylinder I alwyas use in the gun is strongly magnetic, but it is made from tool steel, not Stainless. I believe the nickel plated R&D cylinders are made from the same 4140 and 4150 tool steel the standard cylinders are made from, so they will be magnetic too. The magnet 'reaches' right through the plating and is attracted to the tool steel.

I own a few S&W stainless revolvers and the alloy they are made from is magnetic.

General, I don't think you were cheated, I think your revolver probably is Stainless, but the alloy is simply not as Corrosion Resistant as some others; the Chromium content is not as high. When Stainless Steel does corrode, it is often seen as a dark stain, exactly like on your Remmie. I believe, like most others in this thread, that storing the gun in leather holsters attracted moisture out of the atmosphere and given enough time the oxygen in the water overcame the passivation at the sufrace of the gun and caused some staining. I do not believe that what you used to clean it had any effect at all, the 'stain resistance' depends on the alloy, not what it is cleaned with. Whether or not you can polish out the stains depends on how deep they are. They are iron oxide stains, and they may extend below the surface of the metal. They may not.

For what it's worth, I only shoot Black Powder out of my Uberti Remmie, and I do not give it any more extraordinary care than I do any of my other tool steel BP guns. After cleaning and drying it I lightly oil it before putting it away, that should be all the care that is required for a Stainless gun unless you live in a jungle. There are no stains anywhere on my Remmie. I do not store it in a holster.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

sundance44`s

Good info there Driftwood ...Got a question for yaabout stainless ..I have a high polish stainless framed Remmie made by ASM ...its not magnetic ..It`s one like the old silvers model. I`ve used it to form fit a holster before left it for 3 months ..oiled with wd40 first ...after 3 months in the holster , there was no staining at all ..Would the stainless being high polish keep it form getting stains ?? I noticed some of the stainless pistols are brushed stainless , not the high polish .

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

Great metallurgical lesson, Driftwood!   Thanks for posting it.

I always wondered why SOME known stainless tools, guns, etc. weren't magnetic - like we "know" they shouldn't be,  ::) yet some ARE magnetic.  I figured it had to do with the specific alloy used, but I knew nothing further.

You wrote:

"Howdy Boys - sorry for signing in so late on this one."

It's NEVER too late for learning, pard!  :)

SHB

Driftwood Johnson

sundance44`s

I'm not a metalurgist, but I doubt if the surface finish; high polish vs matte, had much to do with your Stainless pistol not corroding. I dunno why yours didn't and the General's did.

I do inow that my blued S&W Model 19 was stored in a leather holster for about 20 years and did not suffer any ill effects from being in the holster. I also have a Smith Model 10 and a Colt Police Special Positive that live in holsters in my safe and they don't show any ill effects either. They have probably been sitting in the holsters for about 5 years now, except when I take them out to play, which is not very often.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

sundance44`s

I couldn`t help but wonder there Driftwood ...ya know more about it than I do fer sure ..Not a habbit of mine to keep one in a holster so long ...but I have done it . Heck my stainless frame was so slick I thought for sure it was plated ..Took the grips off and did the fileing test to a spot ..just to make sure it wasn`t .

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy sundance 44's & Driftwood Johnson

The first case of corrosion to a stainless steel revolver that I heard of was several years ago , when a Deputy, in Ventura County Sheriffs department , had his S&W revolver , stuck in his holster, apparently he wasn't taking very good care of it and was reprimanded for it, the gun was stainless steel, and had bonded itself to his holster, I remember seeing pictures of it and it was hard to beliave this could happen to stainless steel, but the article went on to say that stainless steel was rust resistant, not rust proof, and that SS still needed to be cared for by wipping down and lightly oiling once in a while , this was a case of total neglect.
           Also true, is you never want to leave your gun in any holster where the leather isn't Veg-Tan leather, some of the cromium and urine tanned leather can cause Verdigris and really mess up your guns , you know even the cawboys on the trail, used to take out their guns at the end of the day and wipe them down and make sure they were working ok  they never just left them in their holsters for months on end without handleing them, they couldn't aford to do this with with a gun that might have cost them a months wages, and where they depended on them for life and death situations. Myself I don't want to take the chance of ruining a gun, no matter what the value of the gun is, it's just to easy to take the gun out before putting it away, besides the holster needs to breath if it's leather, leather came off a living thing , and it likes to stay in the same environment we do , so the leather needs air and to be kept clean and cared for , never put your holster in plastic bags for storage. :o ???

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

I understand every thing you said about storing guns in holsters and how bad it can be. Still, my Smith Model 19 sat in it's cheap Hunter brand holster for about 20 years and never got any rust on it. It is still as nice as it was when I bought it brand new around 1975. Maybe I was just lucky, I dunno. I finally took it out of the holster a couple of years ago and now it hangs on a hook in my safe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com