What Happened to my 58' Uberti?

Started by The General, March 01, 2008, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

I took my revolvers out of the gun safe this morning to head to the range.  When I got to the range & pulled my 5.5" Uberti 58' out of the holster, I could have fallen over.  These guns were cleaned & put away about three months ago & the other two look just fine.  Can anyone tell me what they think happened & what my course of action might be?  I thought these were stainless so, I can't imagine what has happened to this one???

Thank you in advance.

"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you".

"You may be whatever you resolve to be". - General "Stonewall" Jackson
"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Pettifogger

Did you ever leave brass cased cartridges in you leather gun belt very long?  They turn green.  Leather isn't good for long term gun storage.  Depending on how the leather was tanned, it can have acids in it that aren't kind to gun finishes.  Stainless steel isn't rust proof, its merely rust resistant.  Looks like you got a little corrosion.

Hoof Hearted

General

What did you clean it with last?
Anonymity breeds bravado.......especially over the internet!
http://cartridgeconversion.com
http://heelbasebullet.com
aka: Mayor Maynot KILLYA SASS #8038
aka: F. Alexander Thuer NCOWS #3809
STORM #400

The General

I cleaned them with that Hoopes Solvent, sprayed them down with WD40 & then dried them with canned air with a final coat of Hoopes Gun Oil before they were stored.  I wiped them down with a clean cloth, placed them in the holsters & put them to bed.

I was broken hearted this morning when I saw the condition of the 5.5 Uberti. :'(

I am hoping it can be polished out???  ::)

"Our God was my shield.  His protecting care is an additional cause for gratitude". - General "Stonewall" Jackson

Hoof Hearted

Aren't we going to remove all the markings anyway?
No sweat, just a small project ;D
STORM #400

Wolfgang

I don't store pistols in holsters.   Have not had any particular reason for doing it that way, . . but now I've got one. 
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

The General

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 01, 2008, 07:59:39 PM
Aren't we going to remove all the markings anyway?
No sweat, just a small project ;D

Yes Sir, that's the plan.

The General

Quote from: Wolfgang on March 01, 2008, 08:05:59 PM
I don't store pistols in holsters.   Have not had any particular reason for doing it that way, . . but now I've got one. 

Well you can be sure they will never be stored in leather again.  I just can't believe a holster would do that?  :o

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

hOWDY gENERAL

This is a hard lesson to learn , but your gun will be ok Pard, like Wolfgang said holsters are for carrying the gun , NOT for storage , I just made a post not long ago about a guy that left his stainless gun in his holster for an unknown length of time, and he couldn't get it out of the holster , it had coroded and bonded itself to the holster , a real mess to say the least, at least yours can be cleaned up , a lot of people have the wrong idea about Stainless Steel , it is NOT RUST PROOF, but it will hold up against the elements 90% better than a blued gun will, you still have to clean & oil them , just like any other gun, the next time you clean your guns , before you oil them , take the GRIPS OFF, and put them on a cookie sheet, and put them in the oven at low temp. to make sure their dry and there is absolutly no water lingering in any nooks or crannys, after they have been in there for a while , let them COOL DOWN, then oil and put the grips back on, as long as your shooting black powder in your sixguns this is a good way to make sure things are right. As far as cleaning your gun up , you can use a Dremmel tool , which is best for getting into small and tight places , or a larger buffer , make sure you use a good compond, I use the red cap , for glossy but this is up to you, don't feel bad , I messed up not to long ago , I had made a holster , with full bullit loops , and had put bullits in the loops so I could take pictures of it, but my daughter had taken the camera for the day , and I forgot about the gun belt until it must have been about two months later , and I had Verdigris, on all the bullits and also the leather , so I to was in a panic , and my heart was in my throat, so I got on the forum , and my Pards came through for me , and the problem was solved, so I hope this was some help to you , and a lesson learned. ;) :D

It's go na be fine Pard  ;) 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Abilene

While all the above is true about stainless guns possibly being attacked by leather, there is also a possibility that the gun isn't stainless.  About 4 years ago I was working for a dealer that had a couple of 5 1/2" Remmies that I sure thought were stainless (they looked just like the stainless Remmies), but when I noticed some rust on them and mentioned it to the owner, he told me that they were in the white. 

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Howdy Abilene

Pard you have a GOOD POINT there, but I don't think the General would have stated it to be stainless, unless it was , but then again, what if the seller gave him the wrong info. I guess this could happen, this is a hard way to find out. I've worked around stainless for years , being in the meat business stainless is the only metal used, and during my years, I have found that stainless will rust , and it will stain , the difference seems to be that the rust and stains will come off a lot easier than none stainless steel, and the deep pits you don't find on SS, so I hope the Generals gun is in fact Stainless Steel.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

The General

When I purchased the revolver a few years back, I was told the Uberti was stainless.  My neighbor looked at the revolver last evening & stated he thought it might be polished steel rather than stainless steel.  I assume this is what Abilene is saying when he says "in the white"?  Now, it would be upsetting enough to find out I paid for stainless steel & received polished steel instead & then to find out it won't polish out because it's not stainless.  I plan to spend some time today trying to locate the receipt for this revolver but, I am positive it was presented as stainless steel.

Would there be a noticeable difference if you put a stainless next to a polished steel gun?  When I place it side by side with my stainless I just received, they look the same to me however, I'm not a metallurgist & wouldn't have a clue either way?

I hope it's as you all have stated & won't be a problem making the revolver right again.  Yes, this has been a lesson well learned!  ::)

Hoof Hearted

Stainless steel can be a number of different grades. Ruger had many problems with galling when they first started making stainless guns and had to experiment with different hardness and grades to eliminate this problem. Surgical stainless and SS used in the food industry are the hardest and seem to be less rusting and less staining. But chemical reactions can still occur. I have had Blued guns rust while molding holsters (wet the holster, oil the gun, wrap the gun in cellophane). Accidents occur :-\

In my experience, if the pistol was "in the white" it would have rusted annd not "ghosted" that way. It will polish out. Try some semichrome and rub by hand.
STORM #400

The General

I think I may actually have some of that in my garage HH.  I'll give that a try later today & get back to you on that.  Thanks for the insight my friend.  It is greatly appreciated.

Bull Schmitt

See if a magnet will stick to it. Most stainless steel will not attract a magnet.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Bull Schmitt on March 02, 2008, 09:19:46 AM
See if a magnet will stick to it. Most stainless steel will not attract a magnet.

Howdy Bull!

I was going there and interuptions (or maybe the voices in my head) caused me to lose the train ;D
My experience is that most gun grade (for lack of actual grade numbers) SS will attract a magnet. I believe the iron content is sufficient for that. That's why it is "stainable" and can rust. I have an Exel DA Derringer that I carried for years in a "Wallet" type holster and it is actually pitted and the saining is white but much more resembles aluminum oxidation.
STORM #400

Stophel

I think only dog tags are non-magnetic stainless steel...

If the gun were carbon steel, rather than stainless, it would be rusted instead of just discolored.

My bet is on the cleaning stuff being the culprit.  It'll scrub off.  Of course, if you cleaned it with just water instead of Hoppes..... ;D

I store all kinds of pistols in their leather holsters, gun rugs, etc.  I have NEVER had any kind of problems in doing so.  I'm sure some people have, but it hasn't happened to me.  But then, ALL of my pistols are "ready to go", and I have each of them out every once in a while either to shoot, or to practice drawing, etc.  Nothing is really in "long term storage".
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Oldelm

I've heard some good things about a rust preventive product called "SweetShooter".

Anyone here use it?

I'm going to pick some up and try it....

http://www.sweetshooter.com/sshooter.html

The General

OK, latest update.  Still trying to locate the receipt.  A magnet sticks to the revolver big time but, will not stick to the cylinder?  I find that a bit strange?  I have used some Mother's Chrome Rubbing Compound & then Mother's Chrome Polish.  No changes as of yet???

The magnet does not stick to the new SS Uberti I just received but, it will stick to the two nickel plated R&D cylinders?

The General

Quote from: Bull Schmitt on March 02, 2008, 09:19:46 AM

The magnet sticks to the 5.5" Uberti but, will not stick to the two 8.0" Uberti revolvers I have.  I guess that clears up the question on if it's SS or not???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com