Well It's happened Again. February Busted ---------------------March has Started

Started by Dakota Dan from OZ, February 29, 2008, 01:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozark Tracker

I hate Chiggers >:(  at least with ticks you can wash em off when you get in a patch of em,  dang chiggers sneak up on ya.

we had plenty of sand burrs back over in Oklahoma, over here in Arkansas no sand burrs, but they made up fer it in balckberry vines, one everwhere you turn  :o

remember when I was a kid, used to get in some them goathead sticker patches,  any kind of them sticking plants  just hate them.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Texas Lawdog

OT, I forgot about goatheads.  We had grass burrs, goatheads, and chiggers in the Texas Panhandle.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Ozark Tracker

did ya ever have them stinging nettle's, we used to call em Bull Nettles,  man I hated to be out Coon Hunting and walk through a bunch of them without seeing em,  they had a little something in them make em sting and itch for several hours.

Silver Creek Slim

We'z got sand burrs. We'z call this "Wash-a-sand" County.  ::) No chiggers though. Too far north fer 'em. My dad's a chigger magnet. He used ta talk of when he was at Fort Sill. Now, he lives among 'em.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Ozark Tracker

thing about them chiggers, they'll be where ya ain't expecting em. used to be when I was a kid, the only place I got em was going with my grandmother around the Blackberry patches, when we'd come home she'd fix a bath with bleach in it and when you got done washing with that, ya took a gallon bottle alcohol and rinsed off with it,  that will sure keep em from burying in,  but if your not looking for em, they'll sneak in on ya and boom you got em. :o

Arcey

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on March 22, 2008, 04:33:47 PM
but if your not looking for em, they'll sneak in on ya and boom you got em.

.'n then ya'd scratch the blood out yerelf tryin' ta get some relief.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

SLIM,  Ft Sill is a good place for chiggers. I was stationed there for a summer.  We lived in squad sized tents in the field. I had a guy in my platoon got bit on his male part ane wound up in the hospital.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Delmonico

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on March 22, 2008, 03:57:21 PM
Unless you live on the plains, you have probably never been exposed to sand burrs or grass burrs.

Least out on the plains yer pick-up don't run off with out ya.

Fergot, there are a few rattlers out in The Sandhills (always capatalize The Sandhills)  not big though onlu get 3-3 1/2 feet long.  Good thing is there ain't a lot of traffic out there, fact kids get bored playin' "count the license plates"  ya know younger ones who can't pay attention for 15-20 minutes. ;D

Took Gopher Grease out through the edge of them in 2004, he was shocked we went on stretch on the highway, 16 miles 'tween crossroads, one went east, the next one went west.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Leo Tanner

Chiggers  >:(
     Hate them little bastards.  In Mizzu the kids didn't play on the lawn unless wearin long pants an shoes.  I got 3 in my calf (my leg not the cow) that lasted over 6 months.  The lumps were hard an my socks irritated the holy heck outta em.
     I think they were put here to get revenge for all the fireflys we caught in the summer.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Delmonico

Ain't PC to call them chiggers anymore, that went out with Huck Finn, got's to say red mites now.  ::)

Of course that old joke ain't PC either, my 'polagies if anyone is offended.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Delmonico on March 22, 2008, 05:16:57 PM
Ain't PC to call them chiggers anymore, that went out with Huck Finn, got's to say red mites now.  ::)

Of course that old joke ain't PC either, my 'polagies if anyone is offended.

:) :D ;D

I've actualy heard em called "no see ums" on the back of ointment bottles an such.  If that aint PC contrary I don know what is.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Tensleep

Y'all quit it........

Grass burrs, sand burrs, goatheads, bull nettles, ticks, fleas, chiggers, blackberry thickets, gal hoppers, briars an' snakes......

Y'all making me homesick fer East Texas!

Shot with some good friends today, had dinner after, life is good.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Leo Tanner

Anyone elses house smell like vinagar right now?
     This early Easter caught me by suprise an dyin eggs is the last thing I thought I'd be doin taday.  I thought a good way to celebrate would be to go out an kill the wabbit, but apparently that is not in keeping with the season  ;D
     Instead we've hit a compromise an tomorrow will be the first annual "shoot the fancy eggs at 25 yards" contest.  I'm actualy building a stand out of an old shoe rack as we speak...
     The only egg salad I'll be eatin tomorra will be blow back  ;)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Ozark Tracker

litl rooster

I guess we won't be getting any of them brown Jelly Beans, tomorrow

Tenzzz I don't know about homesick but it was making me itch
Mathew 5.9

Four-Eyed Buck

Got burrs and poison ivy and multiflora hedge here. Not to mention the ticks. Nothin' worse than runnin' into a thicket of that multiflora, just rip ya up..................Buck 8) ::) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Ozark Tracker

Quote from: Tensleep on March 22, 2008, 05:52:06 PM
Y'all quit it........

Grass burrs, sand burrs, goatheads, bull nettles, ticks, fleas, chiggers, blackberry thickets, gal hoppers, briars an' snakes......

Y'all making me homesick fer East Texas!

Quote from: litl rooster on March 22, 2008, 06:17:03 PM

Tenzzz I don't know about homesick but it was making me itch

which one of them things ya reckon he was homesick fer  :o  I could send him a few ticks when they come out,  we gonna have plenty fer our own use.  ;D

Tensleep

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on March 22, 2008, 06:36:16 PM

which one of them things ya reckon he was homesick fer  :o  I could send him a few ticks when they come out,  we gonna have plenty fer our own use.  ;D

Saw my first tick today, only one, but the season has started.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Ozark Tracker

I guess if we got any around here they floated away with all the water. ;D

I'm sure there will be plenty to take their place.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com