Well It's happened Again. February Busted ---------------------March has Started

Started by Dakota Dan from OZ, February 29, 2008, 01:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Lawdog

I remember reading about drawiing maple tree sap and making that into maple syrup in the Weekly Reader in the 50's. Living in the Texas Panhandle, I never saw any maple trees or drawing off the sap.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Ozark Tracker

TLD, that's the way with me, read about it, never seen it,  we had a few maple trees around, but don't know what kind, sugar maple, I think. 

Happy Birthday to Miss Scarlett, hope yer having a great day. ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Four-Eyed Buck

Sugar Maples, guys. Mornin'. It's partly sunny and 29 here.
Today is the girl's birthday as well. Susie and Sandy are off at church and have the grand-daughter's with them. I got Susie a pair of earrings in her favorite color on the stones( purple, of course). Major, haven't been in the local Cracker Barrel in years. Wasn't overly impressed....................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Ozark Tracker on March 16, 2008, 09:36:17 AM
Slim, you got any pictures of em tapping them trees?   is it just a Maple or a certain kind? ???
My better-half and kids went over there a couple days to watch. I don't know if they took any pictures. We helped the in-laws collect it a couple of years ago. They did it all the time when my better-half was growing up.

Sugar Maple is the best 'cuz it has the highest sugar content, but ya can tap any Maple even Boxelder.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Scarlet Angel

Mornin' Fellas,

Thanks for the Coffee LR.

Looks to be a sunny, windy day here.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes, Happy Birthday to those that I share the day with.

I am so far having a great day. Slept in, then made myself some breakfast. One of my friends in TX made yogert with fruit and granola. Not something I would have tried myself but was really good so I made it this morning. There is left over if anyone would like to try it  ;D

Last time I ate at a Cracker Barrel, my friend was not impressed with here "home fried chicken" told the waitress it tasted like a microwave dinner. She told my friend it was. Came ready to put in the microwave.  ::)
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I'd hate to be the one on the hell side." ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Delmonico

Round here in the pioneer days they tapped Box Elder, a type of maple, cause thats all they had.

Ain't seen the Turkey Vultures yet here.  The nest and roost down along Sheridan Blvd.  That was the area the bankers , lawyers and others of the type built and lived along in the early 20th century.  Local leagand says the Turkey Vutures are just that bunch reincarnated. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Four-Eyed Buck

I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Texas Lawdog

SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Leo Tanner

TLD, might wanna ask Camille about the monitors on the  cyber cowboy board. She seems to know her stuff.

Happy bithday Scarlet!  My stepdaughter turns 18 today, she is in good company.  Lil eats the yogurt an granola all the time with blueberries or peaches.

Gonna have Mountain Mikes pizza tonight in the party room.  Hope the girl's taste has progressed beyond jus pepperoni.  Usualy jus load up on the salad bar anymore.  I sorta miss the Cracker Barrel.  But then again I miss Hardy's an Waffel House too.

Leo

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Tensleep

Mornin' all..

Had a nice 6 stage match today, good crowd too.

Best Chicken Fried Steak (outside o' mom's) was at "The Old Mill" a restaurant inside Fair Park in Dallas Texas.
I've had it elsewhere that woan bad,, but that was almost always in Texas and Oklahoma.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Marshal Will Wingam

Howdy, pards. Just got back from B-fast in Hollister. It was chilly but we cheated and used our plug-in gloves and jacket liners. the wind has come up, now. Yesterday it rained here and there. Some of the hills around us have snow on them this morning.

Happy Birthday, Miss Scarlet!

Slim, do you know how to back up the registry on Windows XP? I knew how to do it in Win 2000 but can't find it in XP. I need to delete a registry key that has comet cursor in it and AVG won't mess with it since it may disable some Legacy_UDFREADER_XP thing. Whatever the heck that is. ::) I seem to have picked up the comet cursor when I finally got the second screen working.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Major E A Sterner

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on March 16, 2008, 06:39:04 AM
Cracker Barrel is agood place to eat. I think that they overcook their veggies.  Their country fried steak is not chicken fried steak. You need to go to Texas or Oklahome to get real CF Steak.

TL, I was in Houston a bunch of years ago and had tha Chicken Fried steak there, it was larger than tha plate it was served on. Never had any that was close to as good as that one.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Texas Lawdog

I was raised on Chicken Fried Steak. I have to be honest, My mother made the best Chicken Fried Steak that I ever ate. I travel instate and out of state with Local, State, and Federal prisoners.  I eat CFS at least once a week and I think the best ones have been in Texas and Oklahoma.  You gotta have a good Cream Gravy to go on it. I like mashed potatoes with skin on them with the CFS.

Leo Tanner

Marshall Will,
     Where did you have breakfast?  I lived in Hollister in 02-03 and there were some great places.  The best BBQ joint ever is hidden away on a side road by the railroad tracks.

For the computer stuff try start>all programs>accessories>system tools.  Your system restore an back up should be in there.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Tensleep

Folks that doan use an egg wash/dip along with their flour/spice combo can't
run with the top CFS joints.

MHO/YMMV
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Texas Lawdog

Arcey

Chicken fried steak at PoFolks was hard ta beat. Mashed potatoes 'n gravy. Green beans. Ice tea served up in a Mason jar. 'N they put plenty of everything in front of ya. Don't know why they closed up here. Always had a good crowd.

Cracker Barrel just opened a new one in Chesapeake last September. Can't get in the place we've tried twice. Wound up somewhere else.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Texas Lawdog

They had a Po Folks in Abilene several years ago. I ate there once. A early version of Cracker Barrel.  We have a chain in Texas called the Cotton Patch that does CFS, Meatloaf, Pot Roast , vegetables and other comfort foods.

Leo Tanner

Quote from: Texas Lawdog on March 16, 2008, 06:40:05 PM
They had a Po Folks in Abilene several years ago. I ate there once. A early version of Cracker Barrel.  We have a chain in Texas called the Cotton Patch that does CFS, Meatloaf, Pot Roast , vegetables and other comfort foods.

Comfort food's jus about the right way to put it.  I loved their catfish an fried okra.  The waitress gals always kneeled down an listened close when you were given your order.  Every table had that game with the pegs an the pyramid to pass the time as well as some chess an checker boards by the gift shop.  It was like Stukki's on steroids. 

Now I'm thinkin about them pecan logs...

Leo

Roland Deschain

Ozark Tracker

Had some of them comfort foods just a little while ago  ;D   had the leftover steak from Big Jakes, sparrowgrass and homemade potato salad,  sure felt good in the tummy.

We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com