Author Topic: What kind of grips  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
What kind of grips
« on: February 28, 2008, 11:52:12 AM »
Once I get my Richards Type II back from Cimarron, I want to get some faux ivory grips. I was thinking checkered ones line Fox Creek Kid put on his. But then I was doing research and most of the originals had some sort of eagle on them. So I am thinking either one like Hickock had on his or the attack eagle on gripmaker's site. But then I got thinking(I know that usually means trouble), how does a carved grip feel in your hand. I thought about going to a carved ones as I thought plain ones might be slippery, especially on hot days. Can some of you pards out there that have both types share your opinions and what styles you have? Sorry for the long post.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
Re: What kind of grips
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:59:22 PM »
If you are not use to having a raised design on your grips you should really try them out first.  I had a USFA SAA with the raised USFA logo on one side of the grips.  It produced a nasty blister so I changed them out to the  Tru Ivory smooth grips.  They work really great.  I have never had any problems with them becoming slippery even during July and  August shoots.  If you can try out someones gun with  a raised design at a shoot that would be the way to go first.  If you tolerate the raised design then there are some really neat looking ones you can get. 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:01:33 PM »
I use fake ivory grips too. I like them real well and haven't noticed any problems that bother me with them being slippery. I don't like the feel of the carved grips. One could probably get used to them though. I like the looks and feel of some of the checkered grips. I agree with Deadeye Don, you may want to try them first.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:10:34 PM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »
IMO the secret to having a grip with an eagle or other raised design, e.g., stars, etc., is to have the design on the finger side (outside side). For example, if you're right handed the design should be on the right side of the grip. IMO it gives a better purchase. With an eagle on both sides the grip feels too fat IMO, kind of "Rugerish".

Pappy, IMO the most common designs on ivory stocked guns of the 1870's were smooth (Colt factory installed), checkered & Mexican Eagle which were aftermarket.

Offline Sgt. Jake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:25:29 PM »
    Pappy    Last month I got a set of Mexician Eagles from Larry at Gripmaker,for my 51 Pietta. He hadnt made any for the51 before .I discussed the wider flaring butt than on Ubertis ,I sent a tracing off to him,and he produced bueatiful grips for me. IMO he is a artist. When I recive my type II im going to give Larry a call for another set,I am that pleased with his work,and service,check his product out www.gripmaker.com,you wont be sorry you did.               Adios  Sgt. Jake

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 08:08:54 AM »
Thanks for the comments pards. I sent Larry an email asking if he could do the attack eagle that shows on his web site. It will be a little different than just the Mexican or Hickock eagles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com